Good photo hosting sites?

General help with pet/account decisions, galleries, CSS/HTML and so on.
Color Wheel

Good photo hosting sites?

Post by Color Wheel »

I'm coding a pet page and I need someplace to host images (I've been using Tinypic, but they have a tendency to delete old images). Does anyone have any recommendations? I’ve heard Photobucket’s pretty good, can anyone confirm this?
Madge

Re: Good photo hosting sites?

Post by Madge »

I've used photobucket for years and they're fine; so is imgur. So either of those would work.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

You may consider Dropbox. Photobucket is okay but it can be slow, and it will resize images that are over their file size limit. Dropbox won't resize anything and allows any file type, not just images (I keep my whole copy of Paint Tool SAI on there, all brush settings intact, so I can access it on other computers). No ads or poorly organized website to deal with either.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Thanks! I'll check out all three sites and see which one would be best.

EDIT: If anyone wants to know for future reference, I went with Imgur. Photobucket was hard to navigate and really obnoxious with it's attempts to get you to share your photos, and there weren't any privacy options that I could see. I didn't end up trying Dropbox, so I can't speak on its behalf.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I want a new host, because Photobucket has dimension limits. Last time I tried to make something, my background kept getting resized, and I gave up. Hard to be inspired to do coding, when I can't get the background to work. :( (Photobucket has other issues too: They've slowly made their site more and more complicated, unwieldy, and in my opinion unusable over the years)

I didn't realize Dropbox let you put up their images on outside websites, I may have to try that.

Does Imgur let you have a personal account? I guess I only deal with it in meme-context which seems pretty different.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Imgur does let you have a personal account. I use it to upload images in general because it's so easy and you don't need an account, so I literally just past the image from my clipboard and have a URL for it straight away. The account just means you can more easily find everything you uploaded it and remove it from the server if you want.

But I don't think it gives you any control over the URL of your image, it's all the random string. (so you won't be able to have like http://www.imgur.com/users/thelonetiel/ ... _image.jpg , you'd only be able to get http://www.imgur.com/jeIU2me.jpg )