Larkspurlane's art thread

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Larkspurlane's art thread

Post by Jessi »

Ahh Lark, I think your design for Kepheus came out beautifully! I was pleased to change names with you, I still have one of my dream pets and you have a name you wanted, so it all works out! Another beautiful piece from you c:
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

:D :D Thank you Jessi!

I have been productive. Just got Oprometheusthe UC dari ixi a few weeks ago... he's kind of creepy. (Thank you Jazzy for your help getting his pet lookup to capitalize how I wanted it to!)

I've also had a hankering for a UC fae koug for a while. I want to make a northern big-skies fluffy beast...

@_@ I'm going to apply for one that's UFA, but I don't like my chances for a VWN UC fae. Petpage apps get really elaborate at that level and I really can't compete with the fancy clicky ones.
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Wow, that Darigan Ixi looks wonderfully creepy! Me gusta!
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Huh, I forgot I'd posted that WIP of the fae koug. Here he is at a slightly more finished state. Them feathers @_@ why do I do it.

I am not sure that I will finish the pic. I ended up as the finalist for that particular uc fae koug, but the owner then disappeared before actually giving out any of the UCs she had UFA. It makes me sad, I was very taken with him & the character I'd developed. I have about 6-8 hrs left to finish that pic.

And here is a quickpaint of Westward, a uni I am currently zapping for Eventide! Maybe 5-6 hours. Whimsical and cheesy.

Larkspurlane @ neo
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Oh, that Faerie Kougra. @_@ Beautiful.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

TY TY :D I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just creating one. It won't be UC but kougras aren't so bad, they don't have the fist (others I can tolerate for this reason: unis, eyries, some maras...)

Am waiting for a qt eventide petpet to come out for West. I don't like any of the current ones. Also if they came out with a cheapy eventide uni MP that would be great. I need a FFQ :K
Larkspurlane @ neo
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Welp, looks like I used to use only tinypic to host images. RIP this thread.

I did a nameswap to get the beautiful Galithriel the UC fae peo. I am a big Tolkien geek and her name was just too lovely to pass up.

So, I present you, Galithriel, my Silmaril guardian fae:

This painting is technically one of the most difficult I have ever attempted -- water, wild light sources, the camera under water effect, the light rippling effect, the "she's a fairy so she gotta have moonlight captured in her hair even if there is no moon" effect... If I ever have to draw a reflection on a bubble again, I shall scream. Altogether I'm pretty proud of this one!

More about her here -- http://www.neopets.com/~Galithriel -- if you too are feeling Tolkieny.

My final goal on this site is a UC fae draik, I'm thinking it'll be the guardian of the sky Silmaril when I get it!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

oh my god that's stunning! thank you so much for sharing it. How many hours does something like that take?
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Madge you don't even know how much it delights me to see you still posting (I know I told you this recently, but)!!

I am saying about 25 hours for this one but it's probably an underestimate... Over the course of several evenings over a few weeks. I stared at so many photos trying to understand how to convey the underwater camera effect, that water line that cuts across the frame, like ahh, what?? How does it work?? What even is water???

*Pops shrivelled eyes back into their sockets* @_@_@
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

If I still had the account you did it for that sketchy art piece you did for me would still be my prized possession let me tell you!

as it stands I did actually manage to wrestle one of my accounts back, all pets included, so maybe i should try to get back into it? I have NFI what there is left to do on neopets, especially since it was a side account (100k in liquid but nothing else worth talking about, though, you know, an UC krawk and an UC draik so that's all that really matters right?)
Madge

Post by Madge »

do you have facebook? we have a completely inactive little facebook group that you can join and then not post in !
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

OMG that's great news about your account?! Kinda sucks about the NPs but, silver lining, NPs can be made, UCs can't, and you have top tier ones. About what there is left to do on neopets, hell if I know, I have been occupying my time with dicking around on the PC trying in vain to trade up. It hasn't been very exciting. When can we get a NC mall item to unconvert pets??

I can join you in not posting in the FB group extra hard, because I don't have FB :D

Check your PMs in a sec (I'm not sure you're actually logged in or just getting updates on this thread via rss feed...)
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

I get them via topic reply notifications, thanks for the mail, I appreciate the stuff you said !

What I used to love doing was roleplaying/writing, which I'd still want to do in theory but I feel like the community doesn't exist anymore on Neopets?
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

well, just for shits n giggles I looked up the writing board and it's totally dead, but that board was always slow. the NT is still published on a quasi-weekly basis (maybe more every 2 weeks, it's sporadic) -- I think they're hurting for content so your contributions would probably be highly welcome. I don't remember if you used to do NT stuff.

the top post in the RP chat is "REAL RP one off. Come join if you miss the old days!" so idk... maybe there are still people... it ain't exactly hopping though.

the site feels like there are the same 150 players who post on various boards in little pockets of activity (PC is still a lil hive of posting). in a way it's... nicer because it's a smaller community and it feels like the userbase is mostly late twenties+ people, nostalgia trippin'. when I search things on SW I see usernames of people I've seen around, that never used to happen!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

That seems quite nice except for the fact that the RP community is no doubt on tumblr or whatever now.

I wonder what could be done to save neopets? I wonder what actually killed it? The Great Conversion of c.2008 must have had something to do with it, but it was still popular for a while after that - I guess in the end it was probably a failure of innovation - it doesn't look like anything's changed at all, and the ads are horrible.

It's interesting because when I became less active (around 2011?) I had the impression that everyone on there was still 15. I suppose 15 year olds now play fortnite and roblox, because like hell they want to play the virtual pet site their parents played when they were kids!

I think probably what neopets might have benefited more from doing would be to pander more to their adult fan base. Being so strict with the "family friendly" stuff was a problem.