Doodles and maybe more? :3

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Red Mask Corgi

Doodles and maybe more? :3

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

Hi gang c: I wanted to wait until I had some more pieces to present, but I figured hey, why wait?
Well I'm still getting used to drawing/shading in Subeta's style (or a Subeta like style? Debatable) but I went ahead and gave overlaying a try:

Sorry about the watermark, it's just there since this was also on Deviantart. I'm not sure how well I did (I'm not too happy with how it looks large), but I liked it enough to use on Lyeia's profile officially. I'm attempting to do one that's based on the DM Mahar, but I can't get the belly gems to look right, so that's on hold.

As for some Neopets art, I'm hoping to get a Mutant Pteri eventually, so here's a WIP of what I'm planning to put on his profile :3

I'm not too happy with the wing. I may take out the strangely long fingers all together x3;
Just a little bit for now, but thanks for lookin'! c:
Larkspurlane

Re: Doodles and maybe more? :3

Post by Larkspurlane »

Super cute doodles, I want more 0:-)

I agree that the two long clawfinger things look weird on the mutant pteri (as drawn by neo) but I think they look fine in your pic.

From what I can see here, I really like your style -- your drawings look very supple & alive. More pls!
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Red Mask Corgi

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

Thank you very much, Larkspurlane! c: Normally I have a very hard time with getting a pose right, so I'm glad you feel they look so alive <3

Finished Pteri:

I didn't notice at first but this pet has strange spots all over it. I think they're weird xD
Also went a head and took off the two claws since the more I colored them, the odder they looked. I'll try to make them look better the next time I draw him :3
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

I love how your pteri doesn't just look like a bird, but almost has a salamander-lie quality to it too. I don't know if its the pose, the color, the length and girth of the neck/tail or what, but its a neat effect. Maybe it has something to do with the colors even. Still though, its a really neat effect to have a prehistoric bird that looks kinda lizardy. I'm afraid I don't make much sense.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Red Mask Corgi

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

Xelio wrote:I love how your pteri doesn't just look like a bird, but almost has a salamander-lie quality to it too. I don't know if its the pose, the color, the length and girth of the neck/tail or what, but its a neat effect. Maybe it has something to do with the colors even. Still though, its a really neat effect to have a prehistoric bird that looks kinda lizardy. I'm afraid I don't make much sense.
Haha actually that makes sense to me! It's kinda funny, when I first sketched it out, I wondered about drawing it in a snake-like crawl. Of course I ended up drawing it standing up, but I have images of it slithering around, more lizard like than anything (or maybe a bat), until it takes the sky where it becomes much more bird like.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

I think part of the reason I got that impression was my seeing the pteri as leaning against a surface (like a tree trunk or a wall) and getting his claws in it to climb up, rather than free-standing with nothing around. I can easily visualize him standing on a branch halfway up a climb on a tree, or even on a boulder.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Red Mask Corgi

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

I'm usually very horrible with backgrounds, but I have to say, I would love to give that environment a shot. Thanks for the idea! :3