Photoshop Projects [Need Critique!]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Post Reply
User avatar
Fury
Posts: 584
Joined: 30 May 2007 01:55 pm
Gender: Female
Location: England
Contact:

Photoshop Projects [Need Critique!]

Post by Fury » 31 May 2010 10:47 am

Hello. :D

I've always loved playing around in Photoshop and creating various images - at some point in the future I would like to help my boyfriend in his web design business so ideally I'm looking for criticsm and comments so I can improve on areas I'm not so good at.

I created this last night using this free stock image:

http://www.dreamstime.com/seaside-horse-imagefree818750

Image

I cut out the image using the eraser tool. I've not mastered the pen yet. *weeps*
It looks a little choppy on top of the horses nose which is due to a bit too much brushing and blending which I definitely need to work on!

Looking at it again this morning, I am quite happy with it although I feel I need to work on text skills quite a bit.

Please let me know what you think! Any help is appreciated.

User avatar
Foghawk
Posts: 369
Joined: 03 Jun 2007 08:58 pm
Human Avatar: 254768
Location: a narrow dusty room
Contact:

Re: Photoshop Projects [Need Critique!]

Post by Foghawk » 31 May 2010 06:49 pm

If you're not up to using the Pen tool, you can use the Polygonal Lasso instead - it's easier, can be as precise as you make it, and gives a much, much cleaner edge than the eraser. (You should definitely look into the pen; it's much less confusing than it first appears - but I've never found it the be-all and end-all of selection. It has far better uses.) I'd also recommend working on separate layers wherever possible, and keeping a duplicate layer whenever you do something not easily reversible (like the blending you've done on the nose) - that way, it's much easier to repair any problems that pop up, like the choppiness you mention.

Though the tiling effect you've used is instantly recognizable to long-time Photoshop users (and thus has an unfortunate tendency to appear amateurish, even when well done), you've applied it really well; the fade-in effect along the horse's face is great. I'd also touch up the lower edge of the eye a bit - I know you've left it the same way it was in the original image, but it looks flat and unconnected to the face, as if there's been some poorly-controlled brushing there. As for the text, it looks very good without the "horse"; I suggest cleaning up the squares to make them more even and making it stand out from the other text a little more clearly.

That said, the composition is excellent, and I'd love to know what you used for the aura and ribbons - they look great!
Image

User avatar
Fury
Posts: 584
Joined: 30 May 2007 01:55 pm
Gender: Female
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Photoshop Projects [Need Critique!]

Post by Fury » 31 May 2010 08:37 pm

This is just what I needed - thank you so much for taking the time out to explain those things to me Foghawk. :mrgreen:

I actually bought a 'Beginner's Photoshop' magazine the other day which is very helpful and explains a lot of the tools I have found most daunting in the past such as Masks. I promise I will learn how to use the pen tool as well. Ha.
Foghawk wrote:) I'd also recommend working on separate layers wherever possible, and keeping a duplicate layer whenever you do something not easily reversible (like the blending you've done on the nose) - that way, it's much easier to repair any problems that pop up, like the choppiness you mention.
I always work in layers but went a bit mental with the blending and overdid it on the original layer, thinking I had a duplicate when I didn't. I undid most of it but was left with that. Shan't be making that mistake again.
Foghawk wrote: Though the tiling effect you've used is instantly recognizable to long-time Photoshop users (and thus has an unfortunate tendency to appear amateurish, even when well done), you've applied it really well; the fade-in effect along the horse's face is great.
Haha, I'm aware of the stigma surrounding various default filters but I did try to integrate it into the piece as a whole rather than tack it on at the end as the main 'feature'. I am glad you think it works well, thank you!
Foghawk wrote: I'd also touch up the lower edge of the eye a bit - I know you've left it the same way it was in the original image, but it looks flat and unconnected to the face, as if there's been some poorly-controlled brushing there.
I didn't even notice that so thanks for pointing it out, you're completely right.
Foghawk wrote: As for the text, it looks very good without the "horse"; I suggest cleaning up the squares to make them more even and making it stand out from the other text a little more clearly.

That said, the composition is excellent, and I'd love to know what you used for the aura and ribbons - they look great!
Again, thank you! As for the text, I will definitely try that. Looking at it more closely, 'horse' does need to be a bit more defined.

The aura was created by smudging the original layer underneath using scattering/brush dynamics and then playing with different blending modes. I've always been a fan of that effect. The ribbons are actually just lines made with the line tool and then warped to flow with the image. :D

User avatar
thelonetiel
Posts: 1063
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 08:56 pm
Gender: Female
Human Avatar: 15268
Location: Nuevo Mexico, Estados Unidos

Re: Photoshop Projects [Need Critique!]

Post by thelonetiel » 01 Jun 2010 04:51 am

That's fun! I don't really have any critique to help, I think Foghawk did a good job, but I thought I'd share a Photoshop tutorial site that I've found fun and helpful: http://pshero.com/

I think the main thing is to keep practicing. Which I'm not currently a model for because I haven't opened Photoshop for anything more than a crop job in weeks. xP

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests