Joey's Jack-o-Lantern Thread, 2010 Edition! Updated: 11/6/10

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Joey's Jack-o-Lantern Thread, 2010 Edition! Updated: 11/6/10

Post by Joey »

Autumn, the time of year when the leaves start changing colours, the weather starts to turn chilly, and Joey starts attacking large vegetables with sharp objects! That's right, it's once again time for my annual jack-o-lantern thread! Moving up to college isn't going to stop me, it only delays things a little bit! As usual, you can check out bigger versions of these pictures, along with past jack-o-lanterns, on my DeviantArt page.

First up, I had a busy summer of Watermelon carving.
The first watermelon of the season was a total rush job! My final in my Japanese class was an oral presentation on pumpkin carving, so I threw together this example in like 2 hours between classes. Probably the only reason I got a B in that class.

Then once summer break started, I sat down and really carved a nice watermelon. Celebi is one of the best pokemon to put on a watermelon :D

Image Image
Umbreon and Espeon, each on one half of a watermelon. I haven't done half watermelons in awhile, they're really a pain in the ass to photograph. But it seemed fitting for Umbreon and Espeon, and I think they both turned out awesome. Espeon looks shiny!

And finally, my masterpiece of the summer. On Deviantart, I promised a request to whoever caught my 30,000th pageview. My friend got it and requested Shaymin, but didn't specify which form she wanted. So I did both! Design wise it was a real pain in my ass, it took me forever to figure out the layout and I didn't figure out how to do the flowers until I was half way through carving the thing. Those are apples, BTW. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, it's probably my favorite carved watermelon ever.

And that's it for my summer. Pumpkin season started a bit later than usual, since I didn't have a camera for awhile. But I finally got to carving last night, with the traditional Pirate Pattern.
I always consider these my warm-up pumpkins, to get back into the feel of pumpkins. The design is from Zombie Pumpkins, and I think it's based off the Logo for the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

So pumpkin season has officially begun! I've got two more waiting in the wings, and I may carve one more tonight if I'm good and do my homework :P
EofS

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lantern Thread, 2010 Edition!

Post by EofS »

That last Pokemon one is incredible! The little hedgehog thing is so incredibly cute. And the apples for the flowers is a brilliant idea - are they the skins only, or do they have a substantial chunk of apple behind them to wedge them into place? Do they go off quickly? (Then again, I recall you saying that watermelon carvings generally don't last as long as pumpkins right?)

As always, looking forward to seeing the rest of your stuff this season :0)
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Yay! I always look forward to your pumpkin threads. I can never stop staring at them. Your watermelons are great. I like how espeon looks all glowy, very nice. Your shaymin one is just fantastic! You did a smash up job on it. And what a good idea to use apples as the flowers. I can't wait to see more carvings. ^-^
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

EofS wrote:That last Pokemon one is incredible! The little hedgehog thing is so incredibly cute. And the apples for the flowers is a brilliant idea - are they the skins only, or do they have a substantial chunk of apple behind them to wedge them into place? Do they go off quickly? (Then again, I recall you saying that watermelon carvings generally don't last as long as pumpkins right?)

As always, looking forward to seeing the rest of your stuff this season :0)
There's about 1/4 inch, 1/2 cm of apple under the skin, mainly to keep it stuck on. They didn't seem to rot any faster than the watermelon itself, but I didn't get to really experiment with it as someone threw it out when it was taking up too much room in the fridge after a week.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Add me to the ones that will be watching this thread and waiting for more pictures too. I love your pumpkins. I like your warm up pumpkin, I know it has less shading than the others but it just looks so evil!
Haken

Post by Haken »

Wow these are amazing!!!

I've never carved a pumpkinin my life and was thinking of doing one this year X3
I wish I had your talent!!!

But ya these are gorgeous. I especially love the shaymin and skull carvings. Amazing work :D
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Haken: You should try one! Even if things fall off, there's always glue and toothpicks!

Two more this weekend!
First up, a dragon pattern I've wanted to do for awhile. I did the entire thing in shading, and drained the batteries on my dremel in the process. Took awhile, but it turned out cool. There's just a totally different look to whole shaded ones, my friend described it as embers in a dying fire. Very poetic, I wish I had come up with it!

And next, the Pokemon pumpkins begin! I don't have a theme in mind like I did last year with Johto legendaries, so I carved mew. Because it's my second favorite Pokemon and the last one I carved is really old and crappy. I was going for clean lines with this one, since there's not a lot of shading to be done, and I think it turned out great. It's simple, but I feel like it's still one of my best carvings!

And now I must go fetch more pumpkins for next weekend!
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lantern Thread, 2010 Edition! Updated:10/1

Post by Alicorn »

I'm totally loving your dragon pumpkin. It's just so pretty. I love how you did it. I agree with your friend about how it looks like dieing embers. Very nice.
And your Mew is super cute. Can't go wrong with mew! ^-^
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Joey, you never fail to impress. I'm especially digging the new dragon pattern.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Are you planing on trying one of the newer generation Pokemon, like uh...Zoroak? Tsutarja's 3rd evo, Jalorda?
Nonetheless, I love your work. Maybe one day you could be on Food Netowrk's Challenge of "Outrageous Pumpkins" episodes. =o
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

I do have a 5th gen pokemon in mind for this weekend, plus a special one planned for the week before Halloween. I don't like to give away the surprise though :D
Madge

Post by Madge »

I hope it's Choroneko (the dark kitty)! I love that thing. Or the pigbat.

For some reason Choroneko strikes me as something you'd like, Joey. But I could be wrong and you hate it. But that's how I roll
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Ah, cool! Good to hear Joey! I shall wait and see. ^^
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Ok, Late pictures from this weekend! I came down with a cold while carving the third one on Saturday, so I've kind of been a zombie ever since. But there was much carving!

I said awhile back that I was totally going to carve Victini, since its colours are pretty much spot on for a pumpkin. I think I may have gone a little overboard with the shading on this one, it got a little weird. I think it's my worst so far this year.

Next up I made a big ol' Ganondorf face :D The pattern was made by Snowtato on DA, I was too lazy to make my own. I like his beard.

And finally, while getting sick I made an awesome Haunted House. Because they're awesome. It's a pumpkin masters pattern, but a really good one.

Next week I'll probably only do one, since I've got midterms the following week :(
Elucifer

Post by Elucifer »

I think Victini's really nice, but I kinda agree the shading's not the best. BUT, it's still a good pumpkin carving. It's cute and captures the Legendary's expression nicely. ^^

Ganondorf is also a nice change of pace as is the haunted house! Your work is absolutely amazing!