Joey's 2011 Pumpkin Thread [Updated: 10/24]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Joey's 2011 Pumpkin Thread [Updated: 10/24]

Post by Joey »

It's here again! Time for me to post image heavy threads full of jack-o-lanterns!

First up, a leftover from last year:
It's the Helmaroc King, one of the bosses from Zelda: Wind Waker. I'd always thought he'd make a good pumpkin, and I had a leftover after Halloween. I'd meant to do a pair, actually, but the other spare pumpkin rotted so I had to change plans, and this one resulted.

Now for this years watermelons:
Image Image
These two were kind of weird. The first is a Kappa, a Japanese water goblin that I carved for a project in my Japanese Mythology class. The other is the mascot of a small anime convention my school held, and I made it for them. I didn't get good pictures because my camera seriously dislikes watermelon carvings, but it's all I had.

Then there were the Pokemon! I'd always wanted to carve Rayquaza, which is why I'm disappointed with how it turned out. I had a vision that I couldn't fulfill, plus that bad photography.

A few weeks later I found my carving mojo, and carved a cool Riolu. Having the good camera helped as well.

And my best watermelon carving of the year! Jolteon's my favorite eeveelution and I'm really happy with out it came out. One of my best watermelons, I think. It also completes a seven year old obligation to carve all of Eevee's evolutions :D

It was a sort of good year for watermelons, but now it is time for awesome pumpkins:
I started with the obligatory pirate carving. This was a Pumpkin Masters pattern that looked better before I carved it. I think this is two weeks old now?

More pokemon, from this last weekend. Absol, one of my favorites, and I'm glad with how it turned out.

Also from this last weekend, it's my annual haunted house. Another Pumpkin Masters pattern that looked better before I carved it, you'd think I'd learn by now.

I've got three more beautiful looking pumpkins ready for next weekend :D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Joey's 2011 Pumpkin Thread

Post by AngharadTy »

Yayyyyy Joey's pumpkins! and also watermelons!

The Helmaroc King is fantastic. Absol is also, I'm so glad to see it! And the Rayquaza is actually great, maybe my favorite. I was admiring it and the perspective on its fin-bits before I read your text. If that's a bad Rayquaza, do a good one, so we can all be incredibly stunned. ;)
Image Image
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I agree with Ty, that Rayquaza is amazing! Definitely my favorite from this batch, which is saying something because they're all great. Jolteon's neck ruff is so well done. I suggest Igglybuff/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff!

As much as I love pumpkins and pumpkin carving and looking at carved pumpkins, I think the watermelons take way prettier pictures. I love the pink inside. Plus, you could eat the stuff you take out of it! Obviously you can with pumpkins, too, but... that's less immediately appealing.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Darigan

Post by Darigan »

Wow. Incredible carvings. Congratulations, I love the Riolu.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Thanks you guys! I think I ended up staring at the Rayquaza too long and focusing on all the bad parts, without really looking at the good. And I do like the watermelon pictures better, there's more I can do with it. Pumpkins are just flat orange, but with watermelons I can do this: http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/art/Melon ... -138508066
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

Wow, those are impressive.

That watermelon Macaw is freaking awesome.

Heh, at first I was confused about the Helmarock King one. I was like, that's doesn't look like I remember, but then I realized I was thinking of the Helmasaur King from Alttp.
PennyLane

Post by PennyLane »

Joey your pumpkins and watermelons look great! My daughter has gotten obsessed with pokemon over the past year, and now she wants *me* to carve pokemon pumpkins for her this year =P I told her there is noooo way I can carve them like you do.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

The Helmasaur King is awesome as well, I might have to carve him someday too. And it seems like I'm ruining the curve for everyone else xD

So I declared this weekend to be Flaming Unicorn Weekend!
First up, Rapidash. Took 7 hours, a real pain in the ass. Turned out great though, pokemon style fire just looks good on a pumpkin, even if it takes forever.

Then the next day it was time to show my Brony colours :D From My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Twilight Sparkle after bursting into flames! Also took 7 hours, only I didn't expect it too. The pumpkin was a little tough on the dremel, so I had to hand shade a bunch of it.

I've got three more pumpkins hanging around, plus I may go and buy a giant one later today in preparation for Halloween. I wish I had more time, I have a lot of good ideas this year!
Fury

Re: Joey's 2011 Pumpkin Thread [Updated: 10/9]

Post by Fury »

Wooooah, these are amazing as always! I love Rapidash and Jolteon. They're all incredible though.

I imagine in every corner of each room in your house, there's about 10 pumpkins piled up high. And also that perhaps you are known as 'That awesome if not slightly crazy pumpkin lady'. A title you very well deserve! :P Haha.

Where do you display them all?
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

I actually just moved into a new apartment, and I've had free reign to pumpkin it up. I've got pumpkin decorations all over the place, I'll have to post pictures when I clean next.

As for displaying, this is actually the first weekend I've done it. Since I don't have much of a porch, I have them shining out my window, sitting on top of my ironing board. I haven't gotten it perfect yet, but my neighbors can see them.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Your pumpkins are always amazing, but I really love the flaming unicorns. XD So awesome!
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Hurrah for Joey pumpkins - and flaming Unicorns! :-D
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I now want a picture of a totem pole made of flaming unicorn pumpkins please. That should take care of that 'That awesome if not slightly crazy pumpkin lady'
:D
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Haha, I'm not sure I could effectively totem pole them, neither was particularly stable, actually. I think I cemented the slightly crazy pumpkin lady thing when I hauled a 50 lb pumpkin up the stairs to my apartment. I've got awesome plans for it this Halloween :D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Look what happened on tumblr:

http://nerdtacos.tumblr.com/post/112929 ... -halloween

Almost ten thousand notes! ...and no credit to the artist!
Image Image