Edit: Um..WOAH!! Usul's Baby Face Makeovers (Image Heavy)

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Usul_Princess

Re: Usul's Baby Face Makeovers (Image Heavy)

Post by Usul_Princess »

Sarah (after, kinda sorta):

She looks okay I guess. She's a little too rusty colored, but she's growing on me. I used that same dye mix to make a Hispanic So Playful Beth.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

That dye worked really well IMO! She looks great. And also, unrelated, but I'm intrigued by that sculpture on the left of the doll -- what is it, what's it made of? :D
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Heh. That's actually a Botticelli "Birth of Venus" statue figurine I bought off a souvenir vendor in Italy when I went in 1999. I can't tell if she was made out of very fine concrete with a marble base, or something cheaper. I bought it for the uncanny resemblance:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... roject.jpg

Fun fact in Art History class: That is not "seafoam" in the waves. That is certified manjuice from the Titan Ouronos after being mutilated, and his manhood tossed into the sea. Thus, the birthplace.
ImageImage

Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

So excited Naomi and So Sorry Robyn in new dresses:

ImageImage

No wigs, just very nicely tailored dresses. For now, I'm finished making them over because I'm out of duplicates. I did buy a second Robyn because she's a doll I'd want to keep out of the permanent collection.

I actually saw a kick-ass outfit that the seamstress who made Naomi's outfit (A 60's pants-suit), and I was actually sad because I didn't have a doll to match it up with. :P
ImageImage

thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I think Naomi's my favorite. I love her expression! And the new dress is darling. :D
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

She's my favorite too. I love Naomi so much, that I decided to relent, and buy a second one to keep for myself. :)

Primrose Everdeen--er-- So Karing Karen in the dress Robyn is in above (no wig). Karen is too expensive to makeover, but those blue eyes and blonde hair (and fancy reaping outfit) are an uncanny resemblance to that devastated little 12 year old:

ImageImage

DeeDee (before, with "lavender" eyes):

Even the creator of the dolls, Mel, will describe this shade a goof in the factory. They were supposed to be deep blue instead of periwinkle.

DeeDee with replaced dark, murky blue/gray eyes (after):

She has a nice ashen colored wig in a messy flip. I don't care for the dress, but it's so fancy that I may keep it on her for the sake of preservation.
ImageImage

_neo_kami_91

Post by _neo_kami_91 »

Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

No, but I have this little guy:

I decided to risk it. I couldn't take it anymore, and had his cute little snarky face sent to the US. He came wrapped in French newspaper dated may 16th! (cool!)
Now to butcher him and make him over!....

j/k

I did bid on Sally, but I decided Denny was a better investment, and I let someone snipe her at the last minute.
ImageImage

_neo_kami_91

Post by _neo_kami_91 »

Nice! Denny didn't get lost off the coast of Greenland, then ;)

EDIT: Just a question: how much d'ya reckon you've spent so far on these?

And another one: which ones are left?
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

....And two months later, Brooke (and Robyn) are done!

ImageImage

I just swapped DeeDee's wig with another long blonde ashen wig with long pigtails that I put on Brooke instead. I really like it! :) It takes the focus off her over-the-top pout. Even though Robyn could use one, there aren't too many wigs out there that will accommodate long hair. She's got a few bald spots, but nothing you can see.

(I bought a hat and socks for Denny, and maybe I'll work on a mock So Cheerful Charlie: Another prototype boy who didn't hit the shelves in time)

Re: _neo_Kami_91: The makeovers themselves on the duplicates around $165.00. (If you include DeeDee, who was already premade).

With Denny, that warehouse in my closet put me over the $1,100.00 mark. The seller was nice enough to lower him to $550. because of the crazy expensive Euro-shipping. (Don't worry, this has been over the course of 6 years. I'm not that loaded. :P)

Also a link to the unofficial site with pics of all, and the ranking list.)

http://babyfacedolls.com/bfdolls.html
http://babyfacedolls.com/ranking.html

Remaining dolls left (in rarity order, not price):

So Bashful Abby - ($400.00 - $600.00), Black So Sorry Sarah ($600.00+)
So Silly Sally - ($400.00- $1,000.00)
Black So Curious Cara ($200.00)
So Tender Tina - ($250.00-ish)
So Cute Carmen -($160.00) Very cute, indeed. I'd never sell her if I had her.
Lavender eyed So Delightful DeeDee - ($35.00), don't need her. I have blue-eyed DeeDee.

Misc Merchandise: The Backpack, The sleeping bag, The slippers. And a ton of mini-figurine Magic Diaper babies. None of which I care about. I got the stroller though!!

(I might have to replace white Hannah. ($30.00) Her legs have mold underneath from me wiping down my wood shelves with a damp cloth.)

I want these dolls outta here! No more!

I really want to sell now, and get rid of all the collectables. I miss my closet space, badly, and I'm sick of looking at them! But I want to wait another decade. This is a bad time to sell with the economy and all. Everyone else is selling, and it'll lower my potential profit.

As for the makeover dolls, I'm at 9 now, and it's unlikely I'll sell (all) of them because at least 3 are in bad shape. They're in dire need of restringing, and are undesirable to collectors. I'd probably give a couple away, in fact. ('Cause I suck at restringing.)
ImageImage

Khamoshi

Post by Khamoshi »

Usul-princess I have really been enjoying your BF info.

I wonder if you'd be willing to share how you dyed your dolls? I have a doll (not BF) which I would love to dye but no clue where to start!

Thanks
Kham
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Re: Khamoshi I used a fabric dye called RIT. (If you live in the US, there is a store called JoAnn Fabrics where you can buy it, and they're less than $2.50 a box).
For Sarah, I used two parts tan (which looks like a rusty red/brown), and one part cocoa brown. I added this to about 9 parts water, and put her in a 3 gallon pot on the stove. Waited until it boiled on medium-high setting, and threw her in the pot for 15-20 minutes.

Be careful not to boil the hair. It'll get destroyed. It will be permanently discolored from the dye anyway. (but it makes a nice auburn hair color for blondes) The eyelashes will also be ruined in this process, so be sure to re-lash the doll.

(The real) So Sorry Sarah before:

Drumroll please....

After:

Why yes, those are recycled shoes. I bought her some new ones, but now that I have her, she's not being re-sold. I won't sew her wig in only because of her value, but I can't see myself re-selling her. The rest....who cares? :)
ImageImage

Khamoshi

Post by Khamoshi »

Thanks for the info, I managed to track down some RIT and wonder if you prepare the doll before you dunk them? Do you wash them and treat any spots/marks?

Thanks
Kham
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

My hairstylist braids the hair down into a "bald" looking base. (which she's teaching me how to do), so I don't worry about the hair being damaged. I'll be sewing in a wig anyway. My pot is barely large enough to sink the dolls underwater into the mixture, so I rotate them rotisserie-style every 5 minutes until all of their skin is evenly colored. Lay them on an old towel and wait for them to dry overnight.

They won't need washing after this. Just a good squeeze or two to get the water out of the body before drying. The hair will be a little stiff. If you want to keep the hair, it will have to be re-washed. Normally it isn't salvageable. (You can also shave the heads and crazy glue the wigs onto the scalp. To know your dolls wig size, measure the circumference of the head with a cloth ruler). Since I don't shave them, I buy one size larger.

You normally need two similar shades of RIT similar in color to get the skin color just right. (Do not use the entire packages. only use half of each). Here's what you can do if your dye job isn't exactly how you wanted it:

If they come out too dark: Put them in the washing machine with a low water setting and a cup of bleach using a hot water cycle for permanent press. (It will give you an even tone, and take about 3 shades off).

If they come out too light: Do not throw the old mixture away. Add the remainder of the darker shade to the pot and boil for 6-10 more minutes. Take the doll out as soon as you get a "Just right" shade.

Buy the tallest (inedible) pot you can find. No one should eat out of this pot after use. :P
ImageImage

Usul_Princess

Usul's Baby Face Makeovers (Image Heavy)

Post by Usul_Princess »

*cue "Price is Right Double Showcase Winner" music*

ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!?! :shock: , :D

We'll see what shape she's in these next few days, but I don't feel that bad about not volunteering for OT tonight.

For now, she'll just go into a left over dress I have. (The one that Karen and Robyn are wearing in the above pics) and stay in the permanent collection.

Wow..I think I only have three left to go, and my collection will be complete.

Okay, now that the amazement has subsided, I can safely say I'm underwhelmed by her condition. She arrived today, and her whole body needs restringing (which I'll "test run" on 4 or 5 dolls before I think about even touching her). Not to mention thinning hair and no original clothing.

Not really impressed with her "makeover" either:

She'll stay just like that in the permanent collection until I get the courage to restring her, or leave her as is and sell her for a reduced price.
Not that I'm complaining or anything, :P she's still worth the $38.00 I paid.

I love Sally's expression the best out of them all. What kid didn't smile like this in 1st grade on Picture day?
ImageImage