Joey's 2012 Jack-o-Lantern Thread! [Updated: Year End!]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Re: Joey's 2012 Jack-o-Lantern Thread! [Updated 10/8]

Post by Joey »

I'm a fan of transient life metaphors; thinking about how it relates to pumpkin carving helped me to relate to all the ancient Japanese poetry I had to read a couple years back :D

Three pumpkins this weekend!
Chandelure! This one's a bit of a joke I'm playing on my facebook friends who have been bugging me to change my profile picture. Since january I think it's been the same image I carved here :D So I replaced it with this. Also Chandelure is awesome.
At the request of my friend who's making me watch the show, I carved a Stargate. It was a really stupid idea to carve all 39 symbols, but I guess it turned out well enough that I shouldn't complain.
And at the request of what seems like the entire freaking internet I finally carved Squirtle to go with Bulbasaur and Charmander. Not that I hate Squritle or anything, but water types don't seem as fitting for a pumpkin like fire and grass types do. But the internet demanded it, so I carved.
Bif

Post by Bif »

STARGATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are so amazing but the Stargate is my favourite. Even though I love Pokemon, Stargate takes the cake.

I love your pumpkins so much, I hope one to day carve a pumpkin, should probably get on that...being from Australia it isn't a very common thing here.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Awesome Stargate is awesome.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Starting up another livestream! Come check it out: http://www.livestream.com/PumpkinJoey?t=842184

Ok, finished for tonight! 6 hours of carving x_x But thanks to Jessi and Tiel and TCStarwind for coming and putting up with me and my butt and my weird friend xD

My next stream is going to be on Halloween! So this Wednesday, starting probably around 1:00 PST.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I'm glad I could make it. XD

Also, I just saw some of your pumpkins on my tumblr dash. http://pokem0nfacts.tumblr.com/post/345 ... op-showing There's a link to your gallery in the post. They're quite popular. :) Thought maybe you'd want to know.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Thanks for letting me know! And yay for them being a cool person who actually linked back! Very awesome :D

Ok, more pumpkins! Two weekends ago I had some social obligations so I only managed to sneak in one pumpkin:
Gligar, cause gligar is best pokemon. I also did something special with this one, and took pictures during the carving process and then made some step by step tutorials! They're on my DA here if you want to check them out for your own pumpkins: http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/art/Pumpk ... -334860339 http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/art/Pumpk ... -334861625 http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/art/Pumpk ... -334863282

And then this weekend I had even more social obligations, so just one pumpkin again:
This time it's Rand al'Thor from Wheel of Time. My friend drew the pattern for me, and it turned out really awesome.

I'm getting super excited for Halloween! I actually have a midterm in the morning but after that I'm gonna try and carve three before I have to head off to a party. And then next weekend shall be Pumpkin Madness, when I plan to carve 7 in three days.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Joey's 2012 Jack-o-Lantern Thread! [Updated 10/29]

Post by Jessi »

Ahhh that's the one I got to watch you livestream for a bit! So cool to see how you worked on it with the dremel and everything, Joey!
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I don't like The Wheel of Time, but I like the pumpkin. :-)
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

My Webcam is sewn to my hat, so come watch me try and carve 3 pumpkins in 6 hours! http://www.livestream.com/PumpkinJoey?t=842184
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Two more pumpkins, from my Halloween carving:

Since I was carving for an anime club, I decided to go with the theme and carved Sailor Moon. The pumpkin was a little resistant to the shading so it wasn't as smooth as I would like.

And one from this year's batch of Zombie Pumpkins designs. I'm rather proud of this carve, since I didn't break anything even with all the little intricate cuts.

I was going to carve a third one, but ran out of time thanks to Sailor Moon taking longer due to pumpkin pain in the ass. I'm probably going to get to the design sometime later this weekend. Since I am totally not done with pumpkin carving yet. I still have to carve my themed display of the year, plus two others I really want to get done. The pumpkin madness is coming :3
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Sailor Moon! my favorite! and bones! my other favorite! yayyy
Image Image
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Ok, I'm holding a post-Halloween livestream right now! Going to be carving a MLP FiM pumpkin first, then see if I want to keep going afterward!

http://www.livestream.com/PumpkinJoey?t=842184
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Well I'm watching you stab a my little pony. I have to go to bed now, but please explain why the stabbing? Or maybe they will simply be small holes and I will see that later :)
Fun to see you carve anyway :)
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

That's actually exactly what the stabbing was for! The best way to get tiny holes in a pumpkin is to stab it with a sharp pokey thing. For thicker holes I have a poker I got from a pumpkin masters kit, and for thinner ones I actually have a corn on the cob holder that I cut one of the prongs off of. It's also shaped like a soccer ball.

Anyway, good day of carving. Gonna have some more tomorrow, probably starting a bit later since I am all out of food so I need to go grocery shopping first.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Livestreaming for one last pumpkin this year! http://www.livestream.com/PumpkinJoey?t=842184