Joey's 2013 Jack o' Lantern Thread!

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Joey's 2013 Jack o' Lantern Thread!

Post by Joey »

It's back again, cause it's that time of year~ This season's been a bit slow due to life getting in the way, but it's hard to stop the pumpkin train once it's started! I spent some time putting my entire archive up on Tumblr, complete with new watermarks and footer, so hopefully if people want to post my pumpkins there they can source it back to me.

No watermelon carves this summer due to moving, but a good amount of pumpkins already:

Starting off with something pirate themed, of course. This may have been my last good pattern though, so we'll see about next year.

And then I carved Link from Twilight Princess because I've been on such a huge Zelda kick this year. Pattern is from Jammin Pumpkins!

Image Image Image
And then for X/Y's release I stayed up all night carving these three beauties :D Fennekin's my favorite out of the three and I think the pumpkin turned out the best.

I'll end up carving more soon enough. I got a late start this year but I want to try to keep pace with previous years.
Madge

Re: Joey's 2013 Jack o' Lantern Thread!

Post by Madge »

YES. I knew something was missing from my life this year and it was this thread.

Of course I love the pokemon.

I'm constantly amazed at your level of pumpkin skill. Last year I made a jack-o-lantern for the first time ever, I carved like three triangles and a growly mouth with vampire fangs and that made me feel extremely good about myself. So I can't imagine the skill, time, patience and dedication that must go into knocking out like a dozen artworks every year.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

All three of the Pokemon look flawless to me!

You probably get this question a lot, but what brand of tools do you use for carving? I was thinking of trying it out for fun this year, but those plastic tools that they sell in all the stores here look like they would snap in half.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Thanks you guys!

I do love triangle face pumpkins, they're just so classic! I haven't made one in years though, and I keep saying I should do one just for fun. Be proud of the triangle face!

For cutting I use these: http://shop.zombiepumpkins.com/product/ ... rving-tool because you're right, those plastic tools do snap in half. Not right away, they're good for a couple of pumpkins. But after awhile they'll break. The pro carving tools are awesome, I will never go back. I also use just a regular exacto knife for all the fancy details and stuff, and a dremel drill for shading.

Actually it would probably be good to mention the tutorials I made last year: http://johwee.deviantart.com/gallery/40459246 I think it does a good job of showing how I do my thing.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Simply beautiful. I can't wait to see what else you make this season!~
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

One more from this weekend. I was hoping for more, but this thing ended up taking 9 hours when I expected 4.

Another fantasy book pumpkin along the lines of my Mistborn and Wheel of Time patterns from years past, this one is Kvothe from The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. My friend who made the pattern came up with the concept after I told her we had to do a Name of the Wind pattern this year, and came all the way up to NorCal to see me carve it, and then fell asleep on my couch during most of the carving :D
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Amazing as always. I love the lute!
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

It should be looking better now! My camera has been in a funk this season but I finally sat down and solved the mystery. Thankfully I still had Kvothe in the fridge and he still looks fine after a soak. All of a sudden I'm feeling loads better about this pumpkin season :D
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

The pumpkins used Halloween! It's super effective!

5 more from the past week. I think I have gotten slower this year since pretty much all of them took longer than expected. But I'm happy with the results:

My usual haunted house, from a Pumpkin Masters pattern this year. Didn't turn out too terribly, but I think I should have shaded the moon and left the bat solid instead. Ah well, hindsight.

And some MLP:FiM because I wanted to get something done on time for the big Equestria Daily post this year. Went with my favorite background pony, Derpy.

Image Image
Jareth the Goblin King and a matching owl. I have watched Labyrinth way too many times this week since I finally bought the DVD. Patterns from Zombie Pumpkins and Pumpkin Masters respectively.

And then I went nuts on this Majora's Mask pattern. I estimate it took 12 hours, but I really don't have an accurate count other than I watched a total of 8 movies while carving it. I will be honest, I underestimated how crazy this carve was going to be. All those shading levels. The entire carving process is still a blur.

Overall a pretty good Halloween. I didn't get any trick or treaters at my new apartment, which made me kind of sad, but I have a ton of candy that's all mine now. And of course, there are still 7 more pumpkins waiting to be carved ;)

In other awesome news, my Kvothe pumpkin from earlier this month got a Daily Deviation on Deviantart! I'd honestly never expected to get one of those, so I freaked out when I saw it.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Wow, that MM is incredible. I mean, they all are, like always. But... jeez. So impressive. Very spooky. I can't even imagine having the patience for something like that. I always come up with ambitious carving plans, but get tired an hour in. I definitely understand why good-ol' triangle eyes became the standard.

I hope Sylveon is on the to-be-carved list! Your eeveelution pumpkins are always my favorite.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

WOW. As always, but still...wow!

I love Derpy, Jareth, and MM especially. :-)
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Hey, massive congratulations on your DD! I saw that and I was like "I'm sure that's a Joey pumpkin - no-one else does pumpkins that cool".