Kacheeks must be fat and ugly, so we rejected your entry.

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Skitty

Kacheeks must be fat and ugly, so we rejected your entry.

Post by Skitty »

This was rejected from Kacheek day. I guess this is one of those things TNT considers "not a Neopet", like so many BC entries I've done. It annoys me greatly that they do that, then let in little colored pencil drawings of a Kacheek in the standard Neopet pose standing in a field with a smiley sun.

Other than that it's a little lean and more elegant than a normal Kacheek, what's wrong with it?
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

Honestly, to me it looks like a faellie. The arms and feet look kind of wonky too, but the tuft of fur on the chest looks great.
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
chickvw

Post by chickvw »

I concur.. it IS very cute, but reminds me of a Faellie. :oops:
Image Image
Thank you MM for the Woobles!
Skitty

Post by Skitty »

Well, it does look like a Faellie, but Kacheeks look like Faellies to me anyway. I guess I should have made it less foxlike though, seeing as how TNT doesn't like anything that goes far from their drawings of the standard Neopets...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I can kinda see their point, to be honest. Like everyone else, I think it looks like a faellie. But the BC is the place to go if you want to have a neopet which doesn't exactly look like the traditional neopets images. The art gallery is a little more strict. Besides which, do you know for definate that it was rejected because it didn't look like a kacheek? People get stuff rejected all the time, they can't put everyone in.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, they look like Faellies with odd anatomy (and "Faerie Friends" sounds far more like it's a faellie picture than a faerie kacheek). Give the tail some life, smooth your lineart out, study some animal feet- I don't think it was because they dislike your style of drawing kacheeks that they didn't let it in. Style shouldn't have to be an excuse for anyone.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

I've never seen the head protousions as ears, really. I always saw them as little...tentacles...
ICKessler

Post by ICKessler »

When you say you got rejected, you mean they actually sent you a rejection letter? Or you just didn't get picked? I know they get hundreds of entries for each page of stuff they do pick.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Yeah, it does look a whole lot like a faellie. It's a nice picture, but difficult to pick it out as a kacheek.
Skitty

Post by Skitty »

Well, okay then, I guess it isn't a Kacheek. :?

I just perceive them as foxes, so I drew it like a fox. And they've never had a problem with my feet before. I didn't think it would be that bad.

No, they didn't send a rejection letter, but I've gotten bitter with very random seeming rejections. They let in the crappiest pictures I draw and don't allow the good ones. It's rare that what they let in makes sense to me.

Nevermind, though, if they actually have a reason for not letting it in I don't mind so much...
ICKessler

Post by ICKessler »

Don't be bitter. I think that they try to choose from a variety of skill levels. So don't judge your art against the full spectrum of what you see in the AG each week. You probably have a pretty good idea of how good you are, compare your art to similar or better pieces. I like that they encourage younger artists like that. It's cool to get picked to be shown alongside something that is very very good.

I would count myself as better than average and I don't get in all the time. I get in a lot, but about half my stuff washes out. Don't take it personally. Sometimes, even if it was the very best you can do, and it took weeks of work, it just wasn't what the AG jury was looking for.

It looks more like a Faellie to me too. Faellies have fluffier tales than kacheeks, and a more pronounced muzzle like you have. Kacheeks have a rounder face and their ears slope straight off the top of their head, with no pronounced cleft between the ears and head. Also the proportion of head-to-body, the more pronounced hips, plus the wisps of hair on top of the head. It just looks more like a Faellie to me.

ImageImage