Art programs

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Art programs

Post by Jazzy »

This is a non-exhaustive alphabetical list of programs which people use to create artwork on their computer. Where two company names are given, the first is used on earlier versions of the program; newer versions are prefixed by the second company's name.

Macromedia/Adobe Flash- used by Neopets to create their artwork, this is a powerful vector-based program used for creating both still images and movies. It behaves similarly with a tablet and a mouse, and its smoothing tools are especially good for stylised images. It tends to be used for less detailed images than those produced with Illustrator.
Price: expensive.

The GIMP- an open-source program with some support for vectors, digital artwork and creation of graphics. It is regarded as one of the best general free art programs available, although openCanvas has better options for digital painting.
Price: free, available to download under the GNU license.

Adobe Illustrator- a vector-based program which is fairly straightforward to use but very powerful; it is often used by professionals for graphic design. It tends to be used for more complex images than those produced with Flash, but does not have Flash's support for animation.
Price: expensive.

openCanvas- similar to Corel Painter, it simulates real media, with most versions containing pens, pencils and watercolours. It is simpler than Painter to use, but less powerful and earlier versions have some problems with translations.
Price: earlier versions are free to download, and newer versions are still among the cheaper graphics programs.

MS Paint- bundled free with Windows, it is simplistic and has a reputation for only producing messy doodles. However, many people have used it with good results, most notably the pixel art community. It treats tablets as a mouse, with no pressure sensitivity- an advantage in pixel art, but limiting to other users.
Price: free.

Jasc/Corel Paint Shop Pro- a program often regarded as Photoshop's little sister, with better handling of vectors but a simplistic set of tools for digital painting and limited handling of tablets' pressure sensitivity. This improves with the newer versions. It uses Animation Shop to create and handle animations.
Price: middling, with older versions (7 downwards) having been given away for free with computer magazines in the past.

Corel Painter- a program used almost exclusively for digital painting, hence the name. It has a multitude of tools intended to simulate real media: watercolours, pencils, oils, acrylics, gouache and others. Certain tools are more realistic than others. It is intended for use with a tablet.
Price: middling. A cut-down version with limited functionality, Painter Classic, is available in bundles with certain Wacom tablets. Certain tablets may have Corel Art Dabbler, which is a version superseded by Painter Classic and Painter Essentials, although functional as a basic painting application.

Adobe Photoshop- a program used for both graphics and digital painting, with good handling of pressure sensitivity, and numerous filters and tools. It uses ImageReady to create and handle animations.
Price: expensive. There is also the much less expensive Photoshop Elements, however, which is bundled with certain tablets or sold separately. It has certain options removed, so this is a step up from Paint and the GIMP but may not compare well with the full version for some users.

Other vector options: CorelDRAW, Macromedia Freehand.
Other options for graphics: Macromedia Fireworks, Paint.NET.
Other options for artwork: Corel Photo-Paint, oekakis, Pixia.
Monkeyguy

Re: Art programs

Post by Monkeyguy »

Jazzy wrote:A cut-down version with limited functionality, Painter Classic, is available in bundles with certain Wacom tablets.
I just spent the last 20 mins searching for my Tablet software and wouldn't you know I lost the serial number. :( Guess I won't be reinstalling it, but Painter is a fun program to play around with.

As for the others, Flash is great, takes a little getting used to. I've also tried Freehand, Fireworks, and Illustrator which are somewhat similar to Flash, I thought. Flash was the easiest to use out of the four in my opinion.
Image Image Image
ShinyZangoose
Location: At my computer desk enthralled with how bright the screen is...0.0

Post by ShinyZangoose »

I use Corel Painter Essentials 2. It's ok, but definitely not as good as Photoshop. I tried GIMP, but I couldn't figure out how to draw it it -__-;;
Madge

Post by Madge »

Just so everyone knows, if you want Photoshop but don't want to pay for it, download the trial version from Adobe's website and then drop me a PM.

Please make sure you've got the trial version before contacting me, because if you don't have it you won't have anywhere to enter my serial codes. It will probably take an hour or two to download it.

My personal version goes a bit loopy at times, telling me my registration info has expired, but if it says that, I just open the program again and it doesn't complain? I'm not sure what the deal is, but yes.
Anna the Red

Post by Anna the Red »

Brilliant! Thankyou! -goes to download GIMP-
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

Madge wrote:Just so everyone knows, if you want Photoshop but don't want to pay for it, download the trial version from Adobe's website and then drop me a PM.
I can do the same thing for Flash, if anyone wants it, too. Awesome program. Shame it lags my computer so bad. :P
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

HAY theres this kinda new program called "ArtRage 2" and it's very good for japanese-ish painting and stuff like that. The free version wont let you open files in it (like bmp or jpg) and it doesn't have layers. But it's super fun nonetheless. :o You miiight want to add it to the list for people who like something different.
ImageImage
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Symmie wrote:HAY theres this kinda new program called "ArtRage 2" and it's very good for japanese-ish paintingand stuff like that. The free version wont let you open files in it (like bmp or jpg) and it doesn't have layers. But it's super fun nonetheless. :o You miiight want to add it to the list for people who like something different.
Will it allow me to make pics that share the style used in the game Okami?

(example)

If so, I'm SO getting it! xD
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

YEAH TOTALLY. IT WAS LIKE MADE FOR THAT I SWEAR.

It's just like painting on a canvas in real life... The paintbrush even runs out of paint sometimes. :o
ImageImage
Twisted
Location: On the run from the thought police. With a big jar of Fizzy Fish.

Post by Twisted »

Symmie wrote:HAY theres this kinda new program called "ArtRage 2" and it's very good for japanese-ish painting and stuff like that. The free version wont let you open files in it (like bmp or jpg) and it doesn't have layers. But it's super fun nonetheless. :o You miiight want to add it to the list for people who like something different.
It's a good program (came free with my Wacom tablet) and there's some fun effects to be had. Mess around a little and there will be fun indeed :)
I'm not too sure on the Okami style watercolour painting but you can get some really spiffy effects :)

mod edit: no changing default font sizes/styles/colours; please read the rules.
Returned for the moment...I guess.