I have a question about an art program...

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
davidsgurl1685

I have a question about an art program...

Post by davidsgurl1685 »

Hi, I'm fairly new here (signed up but haven't posted much...*is shy*) and I've been looking around, I thought this was the best place to ask. I want a program to help me edit my drawings and photos, you know do some special effects and the like. I looked at Photoshop, but its quite expensive, and I'm not a professional. So...I found this thing called Broderbund Print Shop Design Suite Professional Edition. Its way cheaper than photoshop, but looks like it does a lot of the same stuff. has anyone heard of it or used it? Also what versions of Photoshop do you use and how much do they cost, if they are worth getting? The website confused me. *is blonde* Thanks in advance for help. :)
K+D=<3 4E
Aurinona

Post by Aurinona »

Well, I suspect the majority of people here with Photoshop have slightly less-than-legal copies of it, so cost hasn't been so much of a factor. ;)

I've never heard of the Broderbund thing, but here are a few other programs to look into:

GIMP: I'm not so fond of the interface, but it's a free download. http://www.gimp.org/

OpenCanvas 1.1 is available for a free download many places on the internet. It isn't much for photo manipulation, but if you just want to scribble on the computer, it's fun.

Paint Shop Pro: I've heard this one described as "The Poor Man's Photoshop", and it's a pretty decent little program (though I'm way back at version 7 and the current one is 11, so I'm not sure how much has changed.) It's $70 through Corel's website.

Photoshop Elements is a cut-down version of Photoshop that may work for your purposes. I found version 5.0 on Amazon for $50 after a rebate.

I'm currently playing around with Painter IX, which is also not a photo editing program. It's available for about $100 a number of places- I haven't had much of a chance to mess with it yet to formulate a solid opinion, though, since I just got it yesterday. I've been using Painter Classic for a while and am trying to get used to my familiar old tools hiding in new places. :D

Hope that helps some!
davidsgurl1685

Post by davidsgurl1685 »

I feel so naive now lol. Thank you so much though, that does help a lot! I'll have to look into them and see which ones best. thanks again!
K+D=<3 4E