MS paint custom royalgirl elephante for my brother! rate it?

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
checkers

MS paint custom royalgirl elephante for my brother! rate it?

Post by checkers »

Yup well, the custom design includes, a Bracelett she has as a battledome weapon and the Lotus flower by her ear ^^; name of the Petpet she has.

ImageImageImageImage
^ the custom design images (Crystal ball off of stand)

My design, what do you think? suggestions? rate it?
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

The incorporation of items is nice, and about the only thing working for this drawing. The line art is quite bluntly, terrible. It's jittery and amateur, to a point where it takes away from everything else in the drawing that may be good. You managed to match the colours well, but the shading is only in a few places and hard to see. It also looks like you just copied the original pose, which is fine on it's own except that you managed to ignore all proportions that the original had. the left arm (my left) in particular looks awkward, like it's been broken and it's just hanging there. The right arm looks like it's going to drop that lovely crystal ball. The right wing in particular looks like a floating blob, I only know it's a wing because I know the species. The dress and the face both look 2d.

So yeah, I'd rate this about a 2, and that's being generous.
checkers

Post by checkers »

:shock: that's a little harsh don't ya think? xP

it was drawn on PAINT in under 20 minutes by a 12 year old.

well, i understand I'm editing it/redrawing it but still o_o harsh.

i'm wayyyyyyy better at drawing by hand
Anna the Red

Post by Anna the Red »

Well, you did ask for a rating and suggestions. Age doesn't factor in to an objective evaluation.
checkers

Post by checkers »

I'm working on a Custom design for a Royalgirl Krawk I'm applying for ^^;;
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

checkers wrote:it was drawn on PAINT in under 20 minutes by a 12 year old.
So you think that justifies it being not very good? Then why show us?

Don't use paint as an excuse or I'll pull out my whole paint justification and everybody's already heard that at least twice before.

If you are wayyyyyyy better at hand drawing why not show us that, or nothing at all.

Fankly it wouldn't have been hard to arrange those source images together and draw over them, and that would have looked much better.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

checkers wrote::shock: that's a little harsh don't ya think? xP
You wanted an honest opinion, and we're not inclined to sugar coat things. Joey could have said "Wow, that's great!!!! 9/10!!" but would that help you improve as an artist? No.

Instead of taking offense so much, read over what she said and try learning from it - that's the point of critique.

And the whole '12 and in paint' thing doesn't really cut it either. I know there's a few artists here who never let their age or art programs hinder them and certainly didn't use it as an excuse.
Fullmetal Dragon
Human Avatar: 156401

Post by Fullmetal Dragon »

When I was 12, I was drawing in Paint. I took time and it didn't come out looking shaky and flat. Just saying.

If you practice in Paint, you can make some really nice stuff. Just because it doesn't have layers and crap doesn't mean you can't work with it. And don't ask us to rate it if you don't want to be told how we rate it. >>;

As for the picture, you need to slow down (or speed up maybe, depending on what caused it) on the lineart in order to stop it from being so squiggly. The crystal ball looks nice, but the rest of the picture needs some heavier shading; you can barely see it as it is.
<3
checkers

Post by checkers »

ok, rate this? I spent ages on this one >.> honest rate.
don't CRITISISE the shading it took about 4 hours :(

ok post away
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

The picture is very flat - she has no way she could be standing in that position (obviously, with her feet pointed straight down), and her nose is also very flat; it looks like its smashed into her face rather than the way a krawk's face should look. The collar of the clothing is very uneven; that's the kind of thing that can be fixed easily if you just pay a bit more attention to detail.

Also, the hand on the stomach looks very out of place. It's hard to tell if she's holding it funny, or if its just resting there (in which case, you wouldn't be able to see that back finger so easily). It's good to look at photos for poses so you can see how to place the limbs a bit better.

As a small comment on the shading, you need to establish a single light source which will help with that. Pick a part of the picture for the light to be coming from and go off of that; right now you have multiple light sources coming off the clothes and shoes in particular. Also, hair usually has highlights on it to add a bit of dimension to it.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Don't ask people to "rate" things; we don't put numbers on art here.

There are several things you could do to improve it:
- use the bezier tool for lineart rather than freehand, to make it smoother
- make the shading more pronounced
- take a look at animal anatomy. Right now, she's standing on her tiptoes, twisting her heels out; her elbow is in front of her body, and she generally looks awkward.

And it's "criticise".
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

I'll just say that I can definitely see some improvement in the line art.
Image Image Image
Yuka

Post by Yuka »

....I don't think it's that bad. :/ I've seen far worse in the neopets art gallery, at least. But yeah, there is room for improvement... keep working on it. You're getting better, and practice never did anyone harm. :)
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, but the second is definitely an improvement on the first. Don't tell me anything's wrong with paint- I do all my drawings (and most of my graphics stuff on there too) using Paint, and even when I tried drawing on Photoshop, it looked a mess because i'm useless when things get remotely complicated. :wink:
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
Fullmetal Dragon
Human Avatar: 156401

Post by Fullmetal Dragon »

dandelions wrote:And it's "criticise".
Or criticize, if you wanna go the American way ;D
<3