Subeta; Galactic Swampie with background.

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
checkers

Subeta; Galactic Swampie with background.

Post by checkers »

Uhm. I just moved the tail position and gave it a background, done on Paint shop pro uhm what do you think?
I was thinking about adding a glow around the swampie but I dunno if I should. I made the blue bg by airbrushing black over, then used some brushes and added a sunburst but as the star. The swampies a little pixely around the edge, but it's the best I could do with removing the smokey background it has on paint. It is supposed to be Totua in space looking over her plannet, but I didn't draw a plannet in XD

http://subeta.org/images/user_images/35766.gif
Uhm. it looks like this in my art gallery because of the fileformat x_X
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I would honestly like the background better if the Swampie weren't on it, and I say that because the Swampie looks like it was cut and pasted onto the background (which... it essentially was). If you can find a way to smooth the edges of the pet so that they don't look so pixelated (run the smudge tool from PSP over it, perhaps?), then the Swampie might look more natural in the picture. :)
checkers

Post by checkers »

Thanks, yeah I was going to do that but I didn't get round to it.
It looks better under this file not so cut&pasted image.
ChibiDragon86

Post by ChibiDragon86 »

Mmm looks bout the same to me and the BG itself looks worse.

My best suggestion on this is if you're using PSP or adobe use the blur/soften tool around the edges of the Swampie so the jags aren't as bad. I usualy do that when copying and pasting images onto a BG. But also make sure you don't over do it cause then it'll look a bit too obvious. :3

~ Chibi
checkers

Post by checkers »

Yeah I know it looks worse overall XD I'mma try the blur/soften tool tomorow.
Kuroro

Post by Kuroro »

I don't know, I kinda like the second one. The spacy pixelly-effect. He looks better on that background, since it's more similar to him.
Set by WIS!
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

The background is absolutely lovely. I agree with the others about the blur tool, though ^^

If dragonites were a different colour I could definitely see one on the background. x3
checkers

Post by checkers »

I tried it, but I don't know if it looks any better, what do you think?
Arviragus

Post by Arviragus »

I'm completely ignorant about what is "good" and "bad" about art, but when I look at this I find the fact that only the eye and a few random sparkles on the Swampie's neck are in focus very distracting; it keeps capturing my eye but not in a good way.
Subeta
checkers

Post by checkers »

Arviragus wrote:I'm completely ignorant about what is "good" and "bad" about art, but when I look at this I find the fact that only the eye and a few random sparkles on the Swampie's neck are in focus very distracting; it keeps capturing my eye but not in a good way.
Yeah, same with me but when its fully smudged it looks as if it is a background not a pet.
ChibiDragon86

Post by ChibiDragon86 »

:shock: Ack! You over did it. When using the blur tool make it smaller cause you're only supossed to go around the edges. And make sure the tool size is only about 3 max.

I wanted to post this before but couldn't find it.
http://www.freewebs.com/firebrand2586/G ... /Siggy.jpg
The left half with metaKnight I pasted him in and lightly traced the edges with the blur tool. I also kinda made the BG portion of where he was while just pasting the whole Image of Pit onto the right portion.

Thats my best example of pasting and image and using the blur to smooth the edges.

~ Chibi
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I'm still trying to get adapted to my own blur/smudge tools, but I took a crack at it:

It's a bit too blurry and obvious in places, but those were the areas where the jagged edges were the worse. What I did was run the softening brush over the entire outline (at least the outline bordering the backgrouund) at 5-10 opacity, and then I ran over the lines still giving me trouble with the smudge brush at about 25 opacity. It's not perfect by any means (I think the tail came out the best, probably because it was the part I messed with least), and if anyone has any suggestions for better blending in PSP9, I'm open to hearing them. :P

Something else I noticed, though, is that the light source is off. If the swampie is shaded as it is, then the light should be coming from in front and (our) left of it. As the light stands now, the swampie's front should be in shadows and its back illuminated.
cavern

Post by cavern »

That last one is quite nice. It's much better than the excessive blur
from the last one up there. The background itself is beautiful, the
rainbow effect and everything is nice. The pet looks a bit more in
place in this one but i'd say keep practicing.

It looks really nice all over the body except for the spiks, they're a
bit overdone. Over all though, nice work. :mrgreen: