Stained glass (non-Neopets)

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
daisybell

Stained glass (non-Neopets)

Post by daisybell »

It's pretty rare for me to be able to post anything in art because I'm not good at drawing, in either traditional or digital media. I've recently started learning how to make stained glass panels, though, which qualify as art... well, they do for me.

Here's the first piece I did:

You can see the scale of it a bit better here:

I had quite a bit of help in making it, and I can see the faults in it- particularly the fact that the edges should be straight and they aren't!

And this is the second (and only other) piece I've done:

I did this as a birthday present for EofS, which meant I had to work fairly quickly. I think it took about 7 hours from start to finish.

More pics:

And just because, here it is as a WIP:

It's actually fairly close to completion here, but you can see how the pieces have had the edges covered with copper foil- it's on a roll and has adhesive one side, like sticky tape. Then you solder the bits together, and this is where this project isn't so good. You probably can't see on these photos, but my artistic soldering skills need practice :/

Anyway, I think I've whored out my photos enough. I want to make a windowsill clock as one project in the near future, but I have to figure out how to support the clock mechanism, because the batteries will be heavy. In the meantime, I might make a small project. It's a pity making something Neopetsy would be difficult, because if I could it might actually give me a chance at the art gallery, which isn't something I ever thought I could get into.
Neopets wishlists: here
Veo

Post by Veo »

ooOooooo . . . . pretty . . . 0.0

I like! ^__^
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

Those are beautiful! I love stained glass especially in the winter with a candle behind it.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

That's impressive! I've only tried stained glass once and it gave me an appreciation for the difficulties involved (esp. in dealing with anything curved.)
Gazella Dama

Post by Gazella Dama »

Oh lord, I have such fond and hateful memories of working with stained glass! Hats off to you for being ambitious to take on regular projects with it. I remember spending so long cutting out patterns, tracing the glass, cutting and tapping and breaking and cussing and grinding and cussing some more when the pieces didn't fit together at all like I planned them to.

I made this in high school, and that was about all I could handle.

Yours look really nice, though! They fit together a lot better than mine. That hot air balloon is really ace, I'd love to see you try and do something neopets-y. It wouldn't be TOO hard, I don't think, if you could figure out how to section off the pieces.[/url]
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I never worked with stained glass, but it looks pretty cool. I like your sunny thing even though it might not be perfect, the colours are pretty!
Veo

Post by Veo »

It does remind me of an art project of mine as well - no picture, it was just a fish design thrown onto a bowl of some sorts. Nothing fancy, but i had plenty of splinters and such from the glass.

As Gazella said, it's plenty of cussing than anything else, lol! :P
chickvw

Post by chickvw »

Stained glass is absolutely an art :)

Kudos to you, your foil glass looks great, I never learned foil, just the lead form, and panels + lead + me = one big messy pile of trash.

What sort of tools do you have at your disposal? Sometimes with the more complicated shapes of glass, a bandsaw is particularly helpful.. though I couldn't have built a Thing without that beloved grinder. ^^
Image Image
Thank you MM for the Woobles!
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

No bandsaw, at least, not at the moment. Just the ordinary cutter and grinder- and grozing pliers but I've not much used those. There's a sort of board layout thingy which makes it easy for you to cut straight lines, but I haven't used it that much. I would like to do a lead came project at some point, but at the moment I'm still getting the hang of the foil technique, and it's fine for most of the things I have in mind to do too.

And I've got a Neopets project in mind, now, but I need to get some particular glass for it. In the meantime I'll get on with the clock- apparently the weight isn't an issue, after consulting someone who knows more about these things.

Thanks for all the compliments :D
Neopets wishlists: here
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

wowwww pretty. They must be lovely in the sun.