Siaynde my faerie shoyru + Plushie shoyru

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Usul_Princess

Siaynde my faerie shoyru + Plushie shoyru

Post by Usul_Princess »

I drew this a couple days before the new style drama.
*Extremely* smudgy, yes I know, but what I'm looking for is criticism because what I'm unhappy with is the color scheme. I have this as a duplicate in black and white, but depending on the comments I may transfer this to 18X24" paper (Currently on 14X17") to give it another try. The media is crappy pastel under quality pastel which is where I ran into trouble. Don't ever buy cheap pastel, especially a brand you're not familiar with...anyways, comments? Criticism?
Last edited by Usul_Princess on 11 May 2007 04:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Veo

Post by Veo »

Maybe this might help . . . i can't help you with color because I *hate* pastels, but I can try and offer some outline help! :oops:

I'd just rotate the head a bit, and i also added what wings of a shoyru look like - think butterfly, but dragon-like, yeah?

I hope this helps, even though its not exactly what you are looking for. :?
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

*points up* that is a beautiful rendition of the second eye. Ever since shoyrus had been redrawn with a 3/4 face, I've been copping out the second eye by stratiegically positioning them sideways. I'll definitely use this as a base tracer for the 18X24. :)
ImageImage

Veo

Post by Veo »

Hehe, I tried. Thanks! :D
Xulael

Post by Xulael »

Pastels are fun! ...very, very, very messy though, so I don't often work with them. The last thing I worked on wasn't even finished because I got bored with the concept behind it. XD;

Let's see.. Cheap pastels don't really matter, imho. It's the paper you've got to watch for. Using some paper that allows for super easy smudging can be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you're going for.

I prefer a rough method as opposed to lots of smudging. That is--put it down as you mean it to be rather than smudging it in. Smudging will happen naturally as you work on the piece. I usually start with the darks and just put them down only where they're needed. Then I go to the midtones and put them everywhere, and light (usually just white, as I don't have an extensive pastel collection) ontop. Go back and retouch if needed, etc.

I'm a huge fan of contrasts, so I vote for not skimping on it. Lots of lighting and shadows! ...unless, you know, it's supposed to be a dim lighting setting. It'd probably help your colorscheme (which isn't bad, imho--I don't think it conflicts with the color wheel theory or anything) if it had lots of shading. :.D

Um. Tutorials might help you better than I could.
Pastels
Color Wheel
Shading
...and many more via Google search.
[ X goes by Xulael on most sites ]
checkers

Post by checkers »

Wow, that is really good I love the flower and Faerie Shoyru in general.

Veo the tocuhes you made with the red lines looks really good, but sadly you cannot rub out Pastels.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

The faerie shoyru is still in the works, as I don't know if I want to color it yet. But I drew a plushie shoyru on this boring day...

Image[/img]
ImageImage

Veo

Post by Veo »

Do you want me to redline again?
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Veo wrote:Do you want me to redline again?
What I've (finally) decided to do was make the faerie shoyru in sketch on a larger piece of paper, and keep this 12X18 plushie shoyru the way it is. I thought I was going to momentarily when I posted it, but I changed my mind. Thank you for all your help though Veo!
ImageImage

Veo

Post by Veo »

Not a problem at all - just trying to help, ja? ^__^