Color suggestions needed - [Edited]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Xelio

Color suggestions needed - [Edited]

Post by Xelio »

Thanks to the generosity of one very special Neocolours member, one I'll be forever indebted to, I now have my very own draik to huggle and design. I've come up with his general look and personality, but I'm having a difficult time picking a color scheme that works. This, my dear NC'ers, is where you come in. Here and here are two concept sketches of Para that show him from both sides. In keeping with his natural color, I know I want him to be yellow, and I've concluded I want his wings to have blockish "flames" in a sunglow orange hue. As for the rest though, I'm at a loss.

I suppose what I'm worried about is picking colors for the eye/stomach markings and the "leather" of the wings/ear fringes that won't clash with the rest of the body. Heck, I don't even know what color his hat should be. And yes...that is supposed to be a hat. Even his eyes are constantly changing colors in my head. Help, please?

"Give the half-crazed lady a hand, please. She needs the help!"

[edit] Using the fun little base Phoebe made, I badly color filled over some portions in attempts to figure out the perfect color combination. I'm down to two options. I left orange on the wing fronts just to have some color on there to see, though on the final version it'll only be on the back of the wings. Mostly, I just need to figure of if the light draik is too light for the markings on the head to show up or if the dark yellow works better. Thanks everyone for your time.

ImageImage
Last edited by Xelio on 15 Feb 2006 02:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

Oh, I love it though - I love the pictures, and the hat especially. Cor.

I'm going to have a fiddle in photoshop and think about possible colours, but your base design is gorgeous. :D

[edit] OK, I couldn't bring myself to mess with your nice art, so I recoloured a basic Draik and gave him a slightly crappy hat...

I think I like the idea of keeping it simple, with a different colour for the hat - olive seemed to work well tonally. I would keep the stomach flames orange too, although I couldn't fit that on my recolour. I don't know if that helps at all...
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

Ooh, thanks for the lovely recoloring ideas. Here I was thinking of making the stomach and eye marks the same color, but one different than the orange on his wings. Hmm, I think I do like that idea though. You may have solved my problems then with the wings/'ear' leather stuff. I may make that a very pale yellow to provide another shade to his color range. I hadn't intended on putting the 'flames' on both sides of his wings, but now that you have presented that idea I must toy around with it. Much love for the hat color, I think it's a solid winner in my book. ^^
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets