Non-Neo art ETA: New revised sketch!

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
miazilla

Non-Neo art ETA: New revised sketch!

Post by miazilla »

I stink at drawing humas, which is sad because that's what I want to draw damn it! This is a peice of fanart for an online novel. Can't give you the link since it's for grownups only, but yeah.

I need redlining and anatomy critique baaaaaadly. Please oh kind artists out there?

ETA: Alright, after listing to your thoughts I've messed around with it a bit. Longer stomach/torso, a more upright angle, and a better looking left leg. There are still a ton of things that are not quite right but I hope I'm on the right track. What do y'all think?

Last edited by miazilla on 28 May 2007 01:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

You know, this is actually quite good. I've been steering away from drawing humans for years because I suck at it. The neck and shoulder blades are the best but the left (hanging) arm needs more detail.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
checkers

Post by checkers »

I think the stomach could be a bit longer it looks a bit small compared to the rest of the body, the facial expression could be changed, but otherwise I can't seem to find anything wrong with it, appart from lack of detail.
miazilla

Post by miazilla »

Usul_Princess wrote:You know, this is actually quite good. I've been steering away from drawing humans for years because I suck at it. The neck and shoulder blades are the best but the left (hanging) arm needs more detail.
Yeah I agree with you, that arm needs to be worked at. Thanks for commenting!
checkers wrote:I think the stomach could be a bit longer it looks a bit small compared to the rest of the body, the facial expression could be changed, but otherwise I can't seem to find anything wrong with it, appart from lack of detail.
I see what you mean. I have a habit of drawing too short stomachs/torsos. Why do people need internal organs for anyway? XD I'll see what I can do. :)

If anyone would like to redline I'd be very grateful ^_^
checkers

Post by checkers »

miazilla wrote:
checkers wrote:I think the stomach could be a bit longer it looks a bit small compared to the rest of the body, the facial expression could be changed, but otherwise I can't seem to find anything wrong with it, appart from lack of detail.
I see what you mean. I have a habit of drawing too short stomachs/torsos. Why do people need internal organs for anyway? XD I'll see what I can do. :)

If anyone would like to redline I'd be very grateful ^_^
Oh, and also the legs seem to be out of place, I'd find it very hard to have a bending upperbody with arms in the air and perfectly straight legs, well not so much hard but more..it looks strange.
miazilla

Post by miazilla »

checkers wrote: Oh, and also the legs seem to be out of place, I'd find it very hard to have a bending upperbody with arms in the air and perfectly straight legs, well not so much hard but more..it looks strange.
Actually only the right leg (from our perspetive) is supposed to be straight, the other is at a sligt angle. Which maybe dosen't show. :/ Also I know the pose seems a bit odd but the character is a model and I imagined him to be modeling for someone drawing/sculpting/whatever.
Veo

Post by Veo »

Are you still looking for someone to redline this? I can, if you wish....
miazilla

Post by miazilla »

Veo wrote:Are you still looking for someone to redline this? I can, if you wish....
That would be lovely! I haven't had a chance to ink/colour anyway, what with exams and stuff ^^
Veo

Post by Veo »

Roger roger - I can do it as soon as I don't work, k? ^__^
Veo

Post by Veo »

Edit - Okay, so I suck. Whateves.
Last edited by Veo on 05 Jun 2007 05:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

I'm not sure your redline is correct. You've created bulges in the thighs which can't exist- there's nothing there to create them- while avoiding fixing the torso, which is currently definitely too narrow. The hand position is personal preference; both are physically possible, because I just tested them, but if you want yours, the elbow will need redrawing because the inside of the elbow will be visible, when currently it's using the outside of the elbow. The arms do not need shortening- arms generally reach to mid-thigh, which is where they are currently.

I don't mean to rip what you've done apart, Veo, but it really irritates me when people provide redlines which actually create errors.

Miazilla: after all of that, I do have to admit that I'm confused about where this picture is going. Is the character reaching for something? If so, make them look at it, make them react to it. If they aren't, why do they have their arm in the air? Additionally, if this is a male (I can't tell, I'm terrible at guessing what gender people on the internet have given to long-haired characters) there's going to be a bigger bulge in his underwear; if female, the breasts are going to be bigger and more rounded. And both genders, but especially female, would need better-defined hips. The general shape is good, especially the left leg, which looks entirely plausible, but it just needs a little tweaking :)
Xulael

Post by Xulael »

I'm not going to redline, as I find redlining to be intrusive (imposes one artist's style upon another's)... but! I did scribble a bit to illustrate the point I wanna make. >> By all means, use or discard my thoughts as you like.

SKETCHIEZ
...my torso here is actually incorrect because I dramatized the effect of the ribs+abs, and I made the hips too large.

Hands
- Palm large enough to cover a cheek, fingers at least as long as the palm
- not all the fingers are the same length
- My favorite tutorial on the hand: here.

Torso
- The torso is a kidney bean.
- It's also broken up into different sections, and, yes, the ribs do curve outwards.
- I think you had a better idea of how the torso worked before you made it flatter.

Hair
- Every strand is separate! In anime styles, this tends to get simplified, but don't be afraid to add more lines and detail out the flow of the hair anyways.

Legs
- I tend to measure my legs as... Thighs are about as long as the torso (close enough that the knee can nearly touch the shoulder), and the calf tends to be 3/4th the length of that, with the ankle and heel making up the rest of the length.
[ X goes by Xulael on most sites ]
miazilla

Post by miazilla »

Thank you guys SO MUCH! Seriously, all criticism is good. :mrgreen:

Veo; thanks for redlining! Really liked that sitting pose you drew :)

dandelions; Yeah, he's a boy. And canonically, you have a point. He DEFINATLEY needs a bigger bulge :D And hair that I spend more than ten seconds on XD And uh yeah. He's a model, posing. But since he's a the best damned model in the world maaaaybe his pose should.... make sense. W/ever. XD

Xulael; o.o That torso is made of awsome. I need to look at it looooots. Shows me just what I always *need* to see, and inevitably mess up on. Oooh. Links. *bookmarks*. I'm with you on the torso, It was wider but to short and then became longer but waaaay to narrow.