Subeta art: angelic kumos and tempest

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Elzaim

Subeta art: angelic kumos and tempest

Post by Elzaim »

Hey,

I did this painting in Photoshop for an art contest on Subeta. It's a depiction of NekoMisa's pet 'HuministicRational' and it's minion 'MeOw'.

Enjoy!

hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

Beautiful! the pose is lovely and so are the eyes, the minion is gorgeous. It just looks great. I love the cloud effect on the background too. Best of luck in the art competition ^^
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Thank you very much. :)

*fingers crossed for the competition*
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

I'm not a big kumos or angelic colour fan but I do love how you drew Tempest. It's one of my favorite minions and I always felt its paws were a bit confusingly drawn, but yours suffers no such issues - very lovely!
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Thanks for the comment - I appreciate it.

Well - I didn't do well in the competition. Not even one prize. I am a bit dissapointed, but I suppose they'll be other cometitions. *sigh*
checkers

Post by checkers »

*image removed*
Hehe, I like your art a lot the Tempests nice, here is another entry I saw in a gallery. xD

*modedit* The picture has been removed for all of the reasons stated below. You REALLY need to learn to be more respectful of other peoples' art, Checkers -- it is NOT okay to post others' art unless you have their explicit permission. And if you do have permission, you should say so, as well as giving proper credit.

Do not repost this piece of art unless you can prove to me that you have permission. -- Figment
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Ummm, thanks for the comment - but can you please not put up someone elses picture for these reasons:

1.) Did you get permission to use it?
2.) If you did, I would expect you to at least make comparisions of the two or something... (which you didn't)
3.) It's kind of rude to post another person's artwork on a thread showing of the topic starters art.
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

Thanks, El. You've just saved me the trouble of trying to explain the vast inappropriateness of checkers' posting of someone else's art.

I quite like the expression on the face of your kumos -- the eyes are very nice, too. It's interesting to see such an expressionless pet done so it actually looks alive. The outline on the tempest is a bit too dark and blatant for my taste, but you did do a good job of capturing that particular minion's art style.
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Figment wrote:Thanks, El. You've just saved me the trouble of trying to explain the vast inappropriateness of checkers' posting of someone else's art.
No problem. :) I've dealt with this sort of thing before on other forums - it's not fun.
The outline on the tempest is a bit too dark and blatant for my taste, but you did do a good job of capturing that particular minion's art style.
I agree whole-heartedly with you on the tempest's aura. I did the whole thing on my laptop, and when I saw the posted picture on my work computer (which is a flatscreen LDC) the colors looked a lot darker then the ones I had used on my home computer. That's one of the worst problems I have with laptops and art - the colors never come out as you think they are. :(
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Elzaim wrote:That's one of the worst problems I have with laptops and art - the colors never come out as you think they are. :(
I think that's my only problem with this picture, when I first saw it I had to look at the real Angelic Kumos and in comparison the markings on your version kind of remind me of a Panda, the blues you have used a far less subtle than the real one. This may or may nor have been intentional, I'm guessing not, but I don't know.

I like how you drew it and made a Kumos into something likeable, which is something I find hard, I hate the species almost as bad as Ruffies and I love dogs.

I really like the pose of the Kumos and how you drew the Tempest, I just think the blues are too dark and it does look a bit Panda-eyed.
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

adi_gallia wrote:
Elzaim wrote:That's one of the worst problems I have with laptops and art - the colors never come out as you think they are. :(
I think that's my only problem with this picture, when I first saw it I had to look at the real Angelic Kumos and in comparison the markings on your version kind of remind me of a Panda, the blues you have used a far less subtle than the real one. This may or may nor have been intentional, I'm guessing not, but I don't know.

*headdesk*

I TOTALLY and completely forgot to mention in my first post that this kumos has special 'panda-like' markings, thus the blue on it's arms, ears and eyes. The user that made the contest specifically asked for her pet to have 'cerulean blue panda-markings' instead of the normal angelic kumos markings because it's her fur-sona or something. So, so sorry I didn't mention that before!

Thank you for the comments though!

Also, in case no-one has seen it, I have another thread a bit farther down in the forum with my non-subeta art in it. Please check it out if you have a minute! :D
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Oh, in which case that makes your art very good as I could tell what it was meant to look like. :P