Subeta Art - Subeautique Chick

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Ishtar

Subeta Art - Subeautique Chick

Post by Ishtar »

I absolutely loathe the artwork for Esmerelda in Subeautique. >_> So I decided to take a stab at drawing her.

I was going for a snobby older lady who runs a store she feels only rich old people should be shopping at. I took some liberties with the outfit.

After finishing that pic ^ I got to thinking how the current Esmerelda is so old looking. O_o And that dress, ARGH. It's so damn GAUDY!! To me, Subeautique feels like some sort of high end store that a lot of young people would be shopping at. So I decided to take another spin at Esmerelda only this time I jazzed her up to fit my mental image of Subeautique.

I'd like her much better this way. c_c;
The Art | The Site

MapleStory:
Broa: Axiqa, Lanatia | Windia: Pyeam
Mardia: Freajya, Xeail | Kradia: Qalara, Niartia, Sekhari

[[ So many characters, so little time to Maple ]]
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I like both of them a lot, I think the first one would be a better replacement, to stay true to the art and all.

I like how she looks so snobby. I particularly like the veil and the shading on the dress, with all the creases.

I'm not a very good critic since I know nothing about shading, but I know what I like and don't like and I like these.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I like both pictures, but the young one fits Subeautique better -- I can't imagine a snobby older lady selling a clothing line called "UnicornVomit." ;)
checkers

Post by checkers »

They're both amazing, although I think the first one in comparison to the current looks a bit small, and the head shapes differnt. I do like it ^_^ also the eyes are differnt colour.

Your imagination one looks more like a Teenager working at the Clothing rack x) rather than Posh, old subetique
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

Name one item sold at Subeautique that's posh and old. ;)
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

adi_gallia wrote:I like both of them a lot, I think the first one would be a better replacement, to stay true to the art and all.

I like how she looks so snobby. I particularly like the veil and the shading on the dress, with all the creases.

I'm not a very good critic since I know nothing about shading, but I know what I like and don't like and I like these.
Thanks for the comment~! ^^ I tried to stay as true as possible to the original. The colors are all sampled straight from the original pic, as well.

Cranberry wrote:I like both pictures, but the young one fits Subeautique better -- I can't imagine a snobby older lady selling a clothing line called "UnicornVomit." ;)
Yes, exactly how I felt! XD

checkers wrote:They're both amazing, although I think the first one in comparison to the current looks a bit small, and the head shapes differnt. I do like it ^_^ also the eyes are differnt colour.

Your imagination one looks more like a Teenager working at the Clothing rack x) rather than Posh, old subetique
Head shape is different? O.o

Well, I don't see too much of a big difference. The only thing that pops out at me is that mine has a slightly larger forehead. I think this is due to the fact that mine has smaller eyes which takes up less space. The official artwork's head/neck are so much larger than the rest of the body that it's painful to look at. Infact I find it down right tacky. I'm mad crazy about proportions and if things don't have them they stick out like a sore thumb to me. I tried to make sure my OldEssy had good proportions.

As for her eyes... oops. That was a mistake on my part. I wasn't looking at the official art for reference when I was coloring so I'd already forgotten her eye color. After looking at the two side by side I realised my error but I decided I rather like the blue eyes much better since I think they stick out of the dark veil a lot more than the current one's weird purple color.

The picture itself is smaller than the official one because I feel artwork doesn't have to be 45363463636x63634642642626664b pixels to be good. You can have just as much detail and quality art in a smaller picture size and still have it turn out good. I also think that the less you have to scroll through official art, the better. :P Why have artwork on the site if it's too large and people are just gonna adblock it because they dislike scrolling? That defeats the purpose if no one's gonna look at the art!

Although I won't deny that the Clothing Rack would have teenagers working there, I can't imagine Subeautique really being a "Posh Old" clothing store. The clothing they sell looks marketed to younger buyers. It reminds me of Japanese fashion stores. Have you ever seen Japanese fashion stores? Like stores aimed for Ganguro or Gothic Lolita loving girls. These stores are filled with wacky, crazy clothing aimed at youth willing to pay lots of money for these named brand clothes. From most of the things I've seen of these stores they've got young women working there since they'll most likely relate w/ the young shoppers and probably were/are patrons of the store themselves. This is how I see Subeatique, it's a store where lots of young people are shelling out boatloads of money on name brand whacky-as-hell clothing. I really can't imagine any old people running around in UnicornVomit clothing (unless they were way open minded or something. :P) and so I can't imagine someone as old, gaudy and frumpy looking as Current!Esmerelda working in this shop.

Er, [/essay] o_o;
The Art | The Site

MapleStory:
Broa: Axiqa, Lanatia | Windia: Pyeam
Mardia: Freajya, Xeail | Kradia: Qalara, Niartia, Sekhari

[[ So many characters, so little time to Maple ]]
checkers

Post by checkers »

-headhurts- xD
I do like your imagination one, but it is what I'd imagine seeing at the clothing rack, with your current esmerelda, I like the snobby facial expression ^_^
Cranberry wrote:Name one item sold at Subeautique that's posh and old. ;)
ImageImageImage
They're the items that come to mind when thinking of Subetautique, and they're posh ^_^;
I can see and old lady wearing this if going out: -click-
Last edited by checkers on 24 Jun 2007 06:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

Haha, of course you pick the most normal-looking ones, but still, those aren't old (OR the first items people think of when they picture Subeautique), and pretty much everything else sold there is crazy and skews very young.

Image Image

Why do you feel the need to argue with people all the time?
checkers

Post by checkers »

o_o I wasn't arguing, I was saying what came to mind when thinking of Subetautique.
Forgodsake. You asked me to name an item that's posh, and I did and then you say I'm arguing. O.O;
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

I said posh and old, but frankly, the whole argument is ridiculous, so this is me dropping it now.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Great job on both Ishtar :) I can't wait to see the old hag redrawn!

I wish they drew her young and snobby instead though. I wish it were just a cliche (Pretty Woman shopping scene) but it's not - where I live girls working in expensive stores of any kind (handbags, cosmetics, clothes... you name it) are exactly like that if not worse.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta