Improving?

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Improving?

Post by dandelions »

People on deviantart keep posting these comparison images - sets of pictures they've drawn, starting with really old ones and moving up to the most recent, in order to show how they've improved over the years. I finally did my own, which can be seen here:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/ ... arison.jpg
and was interested if any of you had done one. The pictures I dug out from 2003 are hideous - and I couldn't even find the very earliest one I did in psp, which was just...let's not talk about it ;) So it's nice to see that after four years I'm not stuck in PSP relying on the smudge tool anymore.
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

It amuses me how many of these I remember, heh.

You were always good, but the newest is damn incredible. Looks like a professional concept sketch for star wars or something. Awesome -- what's it for/from?
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

That's *my* Figment! Actually, I ran across that picture on my computer the other day and was overcome by nostalgia and sorrow for what-once-was on Neopets. So lovely.

I actually really like the first of those pictures--I think it's the street lamps. Of course I can see how you've improved and all that, but I really like that one, regardless.

I do have to agree with Figgy: that latest picture is amazing. Good heavens. What's it for?
Akjara

Post by Akjara »

The latest picture looks like Firefly to me. Awesome series, but much too short. :(
Help me to make my Dreams come true?
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Indeed - Serenity, the spaceship from the show, as a graduation present for Miguel. The original is gigantic, much bigger than anything I've drawn before, so shrunk down it hides a couple of things I wasn't so happy with ;)

Figgy: reason why you remember so many is possibly because I'm lazy and actually don't finish things often at all, so almost everything I finish goes up here...it's August now and I've finished all of two pictures this year, I believe. Oh, well.

And I've a fondness for street lamps, but have problems drawing yellow lights (Firefly fans will probably notice that I lit up the spaceship with the blue engine lights rather than the actual yellow firefly bit, unlike practically every Firefly image ever) so those wobbly things from 2003 might actually be the best they're going to get, heh. I wonder why I deliberately lightened them back then...
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Improvement? Hell yes! Not that I'm implying that your old stuff was bad, it was certainly a lot better than anything I could do, even then - but in particular that latest picture I think is brilliant.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark