Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes [unfinished]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Fury

Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes [unfinished]

Post by Fury »

(Click for a bigger picture)

An unfinished sketch of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. Regular sketching pencils on paper.

The reason why I decided to upload this as it is, was to not only show my techniques, but because I've grown more and more fascinated at the similarities between Brett as a person and Holmes as a character, as well as Jeremy's continuing struggle with bi-polar disorder. The fact that this is unfinished and shows 'half a man' portrays many of the problems Brett developed. I do plan on finishing the sketch, but this picture will remain up here, as it delivers a different message than the final piece will.
EofS

Post by EofS »

I feel really guilty, given the depth of meaning you obviously have in this picture, that my initial reaction to the thumbnail was "omg he's melting ewwww!"

But on a better look it, you know, looks really good ;0) His right ear perhaps sticks out too much, but the shading is absolutely beautiful.
Fury

Post by Fury »

EofS wrote:I feel really guilty, given the depth of meaning you obviously have in this picture, that my initial reaction to the thumbnail was "omg he's melting ewwww!"

But on a better look it, you know, looks really good ;0) His right ear perhaps sticks out too much, but the shading is absolutely beautiful.
Thank you very much! :D

Looking at the picture I am working from, I think I have got the ear just right. Jeremy Brett's ears did stick out a tad anyway, and it looks even funnier here because I have not shaded in the hair yet!
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Wow! I'm doing a portrait for my drawing class right now and it pales in comparison to the amount of depth you have achieved. I have a lot to learn about shading lol.
Image Image Image
Fury

Post by Fury »

Monkeyguy wrote:Wow! I'm doing a portrait for my drawing class right now and it pales in comparison to the amount of depth you have achieved. I have a lot to learn about shading lol.
Haha, thanks! I'm sure your portrait is very good though. You should post it! :)