Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns Thread, 2007 Edition! [Updated 11/2]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns Thread, 2007 Edition! [Updated 11/2]

Post by Joey »

I think I had one last year but never updated it. Oh well, making one for this year too!

For those who don't know, I carve pumpkins. Lots and lots of pumpkins. And watermelons, when pumpkins are out of season. And while I love the traditional spooky stuff, I tend to carve more pokemon jack-o-lanterns then anything else. The mixing of the fandoms and whatnot.

My carvings of previous years can all be found here: http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/gallery/a ... y/pumpkin/ at my DeviantArt page. You'll also find larger images of the one's I'll post here, and in my scraps are different versions like detailed shots and ones lit from the outside.

Anyway, the first watermelon I carved this year was in May. It's Glaceon, the new ice type eevee evolution from D/P. Cause Glaceon is awesome like that.

Then I carved Jessi's Francis on a watermelon for the WW art contest! Cause Francis is awesome, and very fitting for watermelons. The art is Lindsey's I just carved it.

And finally, in honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, I carved Captain Barbossa. The stencil is from Zombie Pumpkins, an awesome stencil site, and it's carved on an actual pumpkin. I found them out early at a grocery store, for a pleasant surprise. Usually they aren't out until October.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lantern Thread, 2007 Edition! (Image Heavy)

Post by Jessi »

Joey, I am so so impressed by your carving skills. They're extremely awesome! That bottom one is incredible, and you already know I love the one of Francis xD And not just cause its Francis, but because its a freaking awesome kirlia on a pumpkin xD I can't wait to see you update this more with Halloween approaching!
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

I slice my hands up whenever I so much as attempt to carve even the most basic smiley jack o' lantern. I am so impressed by your mad carving skills! You simply must update with more carvings; I can't wait to see them.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Yay more Joey carvings :D Thanks for uploading them Joey!!

Wow, as Jessi and Figment said, these are simply amazing. I can't even make a mouth that actually looks like a mouth when I carve one for Halloween. The watermelons look orange (I'm gonna assume from the candle lighting lol). Watermelon shouldn't be orange!

I think the Glaceon is my favorite.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Sayle

Post by Sayle »

Wow, that Barbossa carving is amazing! I also like the Lucario, Articuno and graveyard ones in your gallery; they all look amazing with different levels of "shading," heh. I am in envy of your carving skills, and now tempted to try my own (unsteady) hand at it. :D
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

These are actually amazing..! I always do a pumpkin for halloween but it fails miserably everytime. And I always seem to draw blood..

How long do these usually take you?!
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

They can take anywhere from 1 - 6 hours depending on how crazy I get with the shading and detail. Like I think Barbossa there took 2, but I could have done it quicker were I not so tired. And I spent an entire evening on this monster from last year:

And I'm no stranger to the blood drawing. If I can impart one piece of advice to upcoming carvers, it's to NEVER cut a lid with a tiny pumpkin masters saw. They'll snap like twigs and your fingers will most likely slide right down the blade. And I've heard some horror stories about people using huge knives for lids and not being careful enough and slipping... and then stitches and nerve damage... yeah. Be careful.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Ooo, that last one is beautiful. Heck, all of them are. The Pokemon ones are especially amazing.

I've carved at least one pumpkin a year for a while now, I was trying to do more and more complicated ones. Then I cut myself with a so-called children's safety pumpkin knife.
derp
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Got my Halloween pumpkins uploaded!

A castle, because I like castles on pumpkins. It's actually more of a mansion, but it's a castle in my head.
Bigger size: http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/art/Chate ... n-68844656

Scar from the Lion King. Cause he's AWESOME.
Bigger size: http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/art/The-A ... n-68845085

And the Triforce emblem thingy from legend of Zelda. Got the stencil from this guy at DeviantArt: Link! It ended up being a late carving for trick or treating cause I carved it at 11 at night. But I had the thing gutted and didn't want it to go to waste.
Bigger size: http://joh-wee.deviantart.com/art/The-L ... n-68846421

I kind of got lazy with the shading for these, usually I do some even on patterns that don't call for it. The first two were fine without it and while it would have been cool to like shade the Triforce on the last one, I kind of forgot. Advent Children distracted me!