Wall painting advice

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Xelio

Wall painting advice

Post by Xelio »

So I have a friend of the family who has a little girl who wants horses painted on her wall. I'm fairly competent at horses and so I've been asked to paint them. I drew the horses on overhead transparencies and have an overhead projector to facilitate putting them up on the wall to paint and all that jazz, only thing is I have no clue what to do as far as paints go. If anyone has ever done this type of thing before and has a suggestion for what type of paints to use or any other general suggestions I'd be greatly appreciative.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Aurinona

Re: Wall painting advice

Post by Aurinona »

I've done a couple of murals in acrylics- Liquitex Basics isn't the most durable paint ever, but with the painting being in a little girl's room, the odds are that eventually her tastes will change ; it's probably not something that needs to be made to last decades. You can varnish it to add some protection against scuffs, scrapes, and dirt. If you have large areas of flat colour, latex house paint will work well; apparently it's compatible with acrylics.

Here's a page of tips that may have some useful information for you.

http://www.artsparx.com/mural_home.asp

Happy painting! :)
Xelio

Re: Wall painting advice

Post by Xelio »

Thanks Auri. Your advice and the link you gave me are ideal. Maybe if it turns out well I'll even post pictures up here when its done.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets