Pokémon Dragonite, MY version (just a pencil sketch now)

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Pokémon Dragonite, MY version (just a pencil sketch now)

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I was thinking of making Dragonite (my version) fierce and foreboding, but when thinking of the characters of all three of the real ones I realized that they were more cheerful in nature. I can certainly live with that. What I couldn't live with, though, was the sudden chubby orange diversion from the progression of the others. Here's my basic pencil sketch as of right now. :) Critiques are welcome, but I may or may not agree with them as per my stylization. ;)

Imagine this a nice teal blue color with deep red eyes, a singular horn and sparkling silver-blue gems. I may or may not change the shape of the horn. I also may or may not change the perspective of the head (but I'll keep its shape the same but appropriately turned if so). When I color it, I'll do a stylized shading, probably not in realistic rounded 3-D but more along cartoonish stylization more typical of Pokémon. Basically, it's an elaborated Dragonair with wings. (Why they chose the name "Dragonair" for the still-wingless evolution is beyond me, but carrying on...)

Aaron

Re: Pokémon Dragonite, MY version (just a pencil sketch now)

Post by Aaron »

Very nice :D I agree about the whole cute little baby serpent --> pretty graceful serpent --> ARGH OMG WHAT IS THAT thing ;) dragonair has always been my favourite pokemon and its always irked me that it turns into that.. thing.

So I do like this. One question, are the wings feathered..? Its hard to tell with just a sketch :P I guess it probably wouldnt work really, seing as it lives in the water..

My only minor niggle is perhaps the fangs (if those are fangs? ignore me if theyre not heh :P ).. In my head I've always just seen it as a lovely gentle thing, fangs just associate to badness with me. but obviously thats just my view. But don't get me wrong its a very good picture, cant wait to see it with colour and whatnot :D
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Re: Pokémon Dragonite, MY version (just a pencil sketch now)

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yep, those're fangs, but more in the idea of cat/dog/benevolent dragon fangs. I may well change them. I LIKE them, in a way, but they just don't really work as they are right now. I imagine Dragonite being the kind who's peaceful until you do something it really doesn't like, much like myself. *heehee*

As for the feathers, yes but not really. I was debating doing them similar to how the "ear feathering" is, but I thought it would be too much fluff and not look "wingy" enough. I'm debating the more logical reptilian style wings, but in my mind it might not go well with the feathery ears. We'll see. This one's not done yet (YAY for a scanner that can recognize pencil!). I was mostly going for the "Viking ship" body as the core concept.

Thanks for the input. :)