Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [11/3: Halloween Night~]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [11/3: Halloween Night~]

Post by Joey »

Indeed! I must subject you to yet another thread of my jack-o-lantern art for it is October! No watermelons this year, I had such an erratic work schedule over the summer that I really didn't have time to just sit and carve up a melon. But I have gone and gotten myself a good head start on the pumpkins!
For International Talk Like a Pirate Day!Only late cause I got busy the weekend I had planned to carve it on. Stencil is from my beloved hangout: Zombie Pumpkins, based off the Pirates of the Caribbean logo. Shading was my own little touch because I planned to test out a new carving goodie but it was missing a part so I just went and shaded it the old fashioned way.

As always, you can find larger pictures and older jacks in my Deviantart Gallery. Watch this space for more as I carve them!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Re: And it begins again... (Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008)

Post by Huggles »

Yay! Pumpkins! You know, I not to recently discovered that they were fruits, axing yet another group of "vegetables" I like to eat. Really, soon it'll be down to lettuce alone. Do you have any carving tips? Or any tips on how to keep them as fresh as possible? Like, I know a little lemon juice and water is a good way to keep apple slices from browning, and caramel apples are magic and last unusually long, but is there anything you can spay or coat the inside with to keep them from rotting and isn't flammable?
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

.....O_O! I wanna insert something more relevent to the conversation. But.....

.....Puuuumpkin art. O_O! It's the single most tedious form of 3-D art I've ever seen in my life. How do you hide a mistake if you screw up? It's not like clay where you can just smear over a blemish and start over. I NEED TO KNOW!

*snuggles your Scar pumpkin and puts it on her desktop*

Didn't know you liked Scar. :D He is the badass. *looks at her obsessive-compulsive Lion King shrine*
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Yay skull! *approves*

I know that one way to cover up mistakes is to use a toothpick to hold stuff-that-got-cut together. I only know that because Joey's mentioned it, hee.
Image Image
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Yes, if I recall, she had to use a toothpick on Francis a bit xD Must be his skinny arms and legs.

Joey, I already commented on how awesome this is :D You know this. I can't wait to see more!

..OMG If its Cubs vs Angels in the world series, will you make a pumpkin for that? ;D
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Re Fixes: Toothpicks indeed! Or sewing pins, they tend to be easier to stick in. You just kinda reattach stuff, and if you do it right, no one can tell. Like I bet you can't find the part that fell off and was reattached on the one I posted, can you?

Re Freshness: Man, there's so many methods out there. I haven't personally tried most of them, but my favorite short term method is to just stick em in the fridge if I have the room. And if it dries out, soak in water until it puffs back up. Other methods I've heard work are coating all the cut edges with petroleum jelly to seal in moisture, and spraying the inside with bleach and water mixes to fight mold. From there you get into strange voodoo methods, like pumpkin dunkin, which is deep magic.

Re Carving tips in general: I'll just be lazy and link you here: http://www.zombiepumpkins.com/tips.php since it's easier then typing out all the same stuff.

Re Scar: He is awesome. I'm gonna try for more disney pumpkins since I blame Kingdom Hearts for my crazy disney kick.

Re Baseball: I totally could carve that! That would be awesome. Damn Red Sox.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

And here we go again!
If you haven't played Phoenix Wright, you should. My beloved Objection pumpkin, which I think is my favorite pumpkin caving ever. It just turned out fantastically, thanks in part to a new shading tool and just a design that works well. I may redo it on a foam pumpkin one of these days, since I like it so much. Took about 4 hours, and was a nice challenge.

Speaking of phoenixes...
See what I did there?

Hehe, just a regular old phoenix, courtesy of Zombie Pumpkins again. Did this as a test of that new shading tool I mentioned. The entire thing is shaded, so it glows quite nicely when lit up. The pictures don't do it justice :D

There was also a third one I did, but it sucked so I won't post it.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [10/5: Phoenix Wright!]

Post by Jessi »

OMG Joey, that Objection! Pumpkin is awesome xDD I love it, I do.

The Phoenix one is awesome too, and appropriate to post with the objection one ;D
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

How, that Objection pumpkin is AMAZING!! How on Earth did you do that!? The shading is fantastic and everything about it is great!! The Phoenix is really good too, your pumpkins are just totally awesome!
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Man..I tried to mess around with a pumpkin once, back in highschool..it came out crappy.. But wow, yours are really well done and amazing
Image Image
ImageImage
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

And it's a week late for the punchline, but here's the actual Phoenix Wright pumpkin, done all chibi style xD I tried to do one last week to go with the others but it failed hard, so I tried again this week and it turned out adorable, I think. I must call him Feenie.

I have a tiny pumpkin left that I don't know what to do with. It's about half the size of what I normally work with so I can't don anything too fancy. Any suggestions?
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [10/11: Phoenix Wright Again!]

Post by Cranberry »

You could just do a mouse! I think a mouse on a tiny pumpkin would be cute.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

You did those PW pumpkins I saw on dA?! O_O Woah. Very impressive.

And Feenie is an adorable and appropriate name for that pumpkin. :3

I second Cranberry's mouse idea; that would be really cute. Or maybe a bat?
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Yep, that's me xD I noticed you had favorited a few of them but figured you knew it was me already.

A tiny mouse would be adorable, but I think I've come up with something awesome. But it might have to wait for halloween... Or I could do both xD
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Alas, no pumpkins this weekend. As a few of you have already heard, there was a bit of an accident. I spent 4 hours on an awesome Kingdom Hearts pumpkin, only to drop it as soon as I finished, completely destroying the thing beyond repair. I didn't even get to light it up. :C

I was kind of too bummed about the first pumpkin to carve the second, so that may come sometime later this week.