Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [11/3: Halloween Night~]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [10/11: Phoenix Wright Again!]

Post by Joey »

Triple post! Ooooh, I'm so bad xD

But new pumpkins from this weekend!
First up is... last weeks pumpkin, done all over again. Less dropping this time, but more burning to a crisp due to candle malfunctions. Luckily I got the pictures first! A shadow heartless from Kingdom Hearts combines with the heartless symbol. I think it's pretty cool.

Followed by the very badass Charizard, for my first pokemon pumpkin of the year! I had fun playing with the shading, I haven't done this many layers in awhile. I had fun with this one, and was surprised to see it looks shiny when lit up, I honestly didn't expect it.

And I still have that stupid tiny pumpkin from like weeks ago. I want to carve it but I keep not having the time. Bah. Expect a lot of pumpkins this Friday~
Goldenchaos

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [10/27: KH and Pokemon!]

Post by Goldenchaos »

That Charizard one is awesome.
Image Image
ImageImage
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Whee Joey, so pretty. Now I want to go play Kingdom Hearts again. The shading on the Charizard is great!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Love the Charizard especially! Well done. :-)
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I went to the store the other day to buy a pumpkin. They're pretty cheap around here now since trick-or-treating was over last week; they've never done it on Halloween since I moved here because of some nonsense about rampaging crime sprees. I got there and looked at the pumpkins, then the carving knives they offered alongside them, and pondered. I pondered for a very very long while. Then suddenly, I thought about how I could very well kill myself with a butter knife, and all the scars on my arms that make me look like a cutter even though I'm just clumsy, and then about how I can manage to get cheetos in my hair or on my shoulder, and I couldn't bring myself to buy one then. I still might, but I am terrifyingly skillful at accidentally hurting myself.

I am in awe of your mad skills.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Huggles wrote:Then suddenly, I thought about how I could very well kill myself with a butter knife, and all the scars on my arms that make me look like a cutter even though I'm just clumsy, and then about how I can manage to get cheetos in my hair or on my shoulder, and I couldn't bring myself to buy one then. I still might, but I am terrifyingly skillful at accidentally hurting myself.
Not to scare you off, but...I was once carving a pumpkin with a children's carving knife. The package said it was safe to use by kids, harder to be cut by it or something like that.

I cut myself with it.
derp
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Yeah, you really do have to be careful. I don't think I stress that enough sometimes. It's actually one of the main reasons I rarely use pumpkin masters anymore, I've had too many break and slice my hand. My favorite lid knife is one of those kiddy saws, no sharp edges or anything, but thick and sturdy.

So yeah, if you are gonna try this kinda thing, really be careful. Don't let your tools get all rusty, wash em off as soon as your done cause pumpkin corrodes em slightly. And if it looks sketchy, just don't use it.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Joey wrote:Don't let your tools get all rusty, wash em off as soon as your done cause pumpkin corrodes em slightly. And if it looks sketchy, just don't use it.
That could also be the problem, because my mom is rather cheap and hasn't bought new tools in 10 years or so :o
derp
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Does she also leave them outside? If so, hooray for tetanus!
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

So a random tidbit, I was tallying up my jack-o-lanterns, and my 50th since I really started getting into this in 2002, was the one I smashed the other weekend xD
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Halloween Night Post! Kind of late due to general dead from carving and then my internet crapping out for the weekend. But they arrive nonetheless! I had a Disney theme this year, to go with my cool costume. Sadly, I didn't get any pictures with me and the pumpkins together because I was the one taking them. Ah well, that's life.

First up, Maleficent! All awesome and dragony. She's pretty badass, I had a fun time carving this one.

Next, for a more interesting turn, is Jack Skellington! That is an actual white pumpkin, not painted or anything. And since I had the white pumpkin, what's more fitting then the Pumpkin King himself? Also, white pumpkins smell weird.

Third, and very awesome, is Beast! I love Beauty and the Beast, so this was a fun one to carve. And surprisingly easy, it was a really good pattern. I like how he looks like he's gonna eat a squirrel or something.

And finally, since I can't go a weekend without shading something we have Scar. I love Scar, he's my favorite Disney villain ever. This is actually the second time I've carved him, I made one last year too. This one is cool though, the shading is actually supposed to be there and not added in like I usually do. That shoulder was shaded so smoothly, but you can't tell at all can you?

And that was my Halloween! Took about 9 hours total, and I carved while watching 20 episodes of Samurai Jack. The stencils are from Zombie Pumpkins (Maleficent and Jack), Jammin Pumpkins (Beast), and Pumpkin Glow (Scar).

But wait, there's more! I still have three pumpkins left to be carved next weekend probably, so stay tuned!
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lanterns 2008 [11/3: Halloween Night~]

Post by Jessi »

Joey, those are all various degrees of awesome *_* The Jack Skellington one is my favorite! I've never seen a white pumpkin, it looks so awesome xD
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

OMG, the Maleficent pumpkin is gorgeous! She's my favorite Disney villian ^_^ ::setsasdesktopwallpaper:: And Jack Skellington is perfect :)
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1aui-wluE Joey...I couldn't help it. I thought you'd get a kick out if this.

(It won 1st place in short films at Chicago art institute in 2006.)
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy