Joey's Jack-o-Lantern Thread, 2009 Version [Halloween Pics!]

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Re: Joey's Jack-o-Lantern Thread, 2009 Version[Suicune + Castle]

Post by Alicorn »

Your pumpkins are all so gorgeous looking. You have some mad skills. My favorites or your pumpkins would have to be suicune (I will catch you one of these days!) and leafeon (I know that one was a watermelon but it's still one of my favs).
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Late post! I wanted to take a break from my pumpkin prep and get these guys uploaded here, before all the Halloween stuff.

First up is my master plan from the very beginning:
Image Image
Ho-oh and Lugia, complete with the HG and SS logos. Lugia took half as much time as Ho-oh, because Ho-oh got all the crazy shading. I actually carved these two back in 2004, and I'm pleased to find that I have actually improved since then! Ho-oh is totally my favorite so far.

And now for some shameless begging:
This is my contest entry of the year! I won 2nd place last year in the same contest with Charizard, and want to top that this year. Because Mewtwo is totally more hardcore than Charizard. So if anyone has a DA account, I could use your votes if you think my Mewtwo is the most hardcore out of the entries. The contest voting is here: http://vashperado.deviantart.com/journal/ I'm in the Blue bracket and being beaten by someone in the Red.

Back to more pattern transferring!
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Ho-Ho's shading is utterly incredible Joey. The belly and tail holy shit 0_o Seriously amazing.

*Votes for Mewtwo*
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Faun

Post by Faun »

Im voting! well i already did... O.M.G. ho-oh is amazing id kill for your skills
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Thanks for the votes guys :D The contest is over, and I still took second. Ah well, it is what it is.

Working on getting the Halloween picture sorted, there's a lot of them.
Faun

Post by Faun »

well done on coming second! there were some amazing entries!
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Time for my GIANTIC HALLOWEEN POST OF DOOM!! Didn't mean to leave you guys hanging for a week, but it took awhile to sort through all the pictures. Getting right to it then!

Friday Night:
Image First up in my video game themed Halloween is Pikachu! I've actually done this design before, back in 2002. I was new to this whole pumpkin carving thing, so I hadn't thought to take pictures. But it rises again, and I'm betting I did a much better job of it, 7 years of practice later.

Next up is a Chocobo. I was waffling between this and the design in my avatar, and I think I decided well. I really like this one, especially the feet. It's just got an attitude.

Finally, the best pumpkin I have ever made. Link from Phantom Hourglass. It really is my favorite pumpkin I have ever carved. I want to marry it. Took about 6 hours just to carve.

Saturday:
Started off Halloween with these little guys. They're both on miniature pie pumpkins, and both patterns are from VGCats. I probably could have made the pokeball without it, but I was going for speed that day. The one on the right is Navi from Ocarina of Time, which most people didn't recognize. Hey! Listen!

Next up is the main man himself, Mario. Him and the next 4 pumpkins are all Zombie Pumpkins designs. I felt like I was going to break this thing so badly.

Bowser, and I've carved this design before. This is the first time on a full sized pumpkin however, I think it looks awesome. This is the only one to have something break the entire weekend, and it was broken later in the night.

Princess Peach, probably my favorite from Halloween. She's just so darn cute.

Boo, and a design I've wanted to carve for awhile.

Sunday Morning:
Wario ended up being late to the party, I didn't get him carved until the 1st. I actually don't like Wario at all, but he rounded off the Super Mario Brothers theme nicely.

Image And finally, Phoenix Wright, who was also late. This is my last pumpkin of the year. I had meant to do this one Friday night as well, but Link took up all my time. I love the giant finger.

Some group shots:
All the Mario pumpkins together.

All 11 carvings all together. This one gives a great example of the different sizes. I actually have this as my desktop now.

So that's it! Halloween was about 72 hours of carving start to finish, with some sleep and friends coming over mixed in. I totally burned myself out though, with so much carving. I'm not sure how I'm going to best myself next year. I broke all my records by carving 22 pumpkins all season, plus the 2 watermelons. It's been crazy. And I have so many pumpkin seeds I think I'm going to choke. I've also got a few other combination shots and the light versions up on my DA page.

PS- The oldest joke in the book, carved in about 2 minutes:
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Joey wrote:The one on the right is Navi from Ocarina of Time, which most people didn't recognize. Hey! Listen!
WTF, mate. How do people not recognize her? Silly! Your pumpkins are amazing... I like Link the best, too. The detail on the shield is gorgeous!
Image Image