Lab Ray Research Project

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Lab Ray Research Project

Post by Cranberry »

I hope it's okay that I posted this here. :) Basically, IDB's old lab ray research is pretty outdated, so we're conducting new research to see what the chances of each result are, and if labbing at a certain time affects the results at all. We'd like as many people as possible to participate. If you want to help, go here. Thank you! :)
Veo

Post by Veo »

I'm in. ^__^
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Hm. I did about four months of records similar to this - probably not the level of detail you guys want, though - back in the beginning of 2006. I abandoned it when I stopped spending so much time on Neopets, but I wouldn't mind starting it up again...

Weren't we going to do some research here about this? Wingsrising suggested it, IIRC, but nothing really ever came of it.
Signature by Tom
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I would totally be in (and I have five lab rays), but I lack Excel, so I fail at this project. Sorry, I'd loved to have helped. *smites format issues*
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

That's actually the same problem I have, Kamil. Maybe there's a free alternative or something -- I'll ask around.
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

Open Office has a spreadsheet program that is just as good (if not better) than Microsoft Excel. In fact, I'd quickly suggest the entire Open Office Suite; it is all I use on my computer anymore.

http://www.openoffice.org/ for the free download.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Illuen wrote:Open Office has a spreadsheet program that is just as good (if not better) than Microsoft Excel. In fact, I'd quickly suggest the entire Open Office Suite; it is all I use on my computer anymore.

http://www.openoffice.org/ for the free download.
Thanks, that worked beautifully.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
sureq

Post by sureq »

I'm in. I used to keep a lab ray log of my own, kept it on a petpage, then transferred the pet to the side and lost it all.

I currently have access to three of my own (although I will loose one when the pound reopens when i reduce the number of accounts I have to two), and I'll include my sister's lab results too if no one objects
ImageImage
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

I'm sure that will be fine, sureq -- as long as you're positive all the fields are filled out correctly, it doesn't matter who owns the lab. :)

OpenOffice works great -- I downloaded that and entered my first results tonight. It'll be nice to finally have a log of all my lab changes and to help out IDB at the same time.
Buttersauce

Post by Buttersauce »

Although I'm on a Subeta test-drive, sure. :D I haven't really kept a log with pets since my last adoptive lab pet however.
ImageImage
Friend Code:
3565-8412-4029
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I keep a lab log, but it's much less detailed than that, I don't keep the dates or anything. Basically it's a list of all the pets I've labbed with their original name, species, colour, hp, strength, defence and movement. Then another sheet in the spreadsheet is the current stats, then I have one of all the changes. But unfortunately there is no dates and time period next to any of them. I wish I could help more, but I would probably get bored of noting the times and such every day, but I like keeping a record of labbing it's just my way is different and less accurate.

But the reasons you want a log are different to the reasons I keep a log, you want to know about how random the lab ray is and if it has patterns, I just like to see what changes my labs make to the pets.
Phibby

Post by Phibby »

I'm definitely in. I've always liked the idea of lab logs, but I've never done one myself.

Oh, one question: what do we enter if we get a "and nothing changes at all!" result? I hope I don't have to worry about that, but with the way my lab's been going recently...
Image Image
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

I'm not sure, so I posted your question on the thread at the IDB. :)
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

So for LVL, STR, DEF, MOV changes, you would put “4” if the stat went up 4 points, or “-4” if it went down 4 points. (If level is reset to zero, write “ZERO” as the value)
Err, they do know that level is never set to zero but the lowest you can go is one?
LΟL
sureq

Post by sureq »

I take it for a HP increase you put HP in the result field? I didn't see it there is all.
ImageImage