Altador Cup 2007

Post anything new on Neopets here.
covet

Post by covet »

So wait wait. Can Shenkuu win this or are Shenkuu and KI battling for third and fourth?

...I've played one game of slushie slinger, so far.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Shenkuu cannot win.

You can get third, at best.
covet

Post by covet »

Oh, fiddlesticks. I'd imagine third does not equal FANTASTIC PRIZES.

So it's going to be Darigan or Roo Island?

Also, does anyone know how many games I need to -play of slushie slinger to get above beginner level?
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

covet wrote:Oh, fiddlesticks. I'd imagine third does not equal FANTASTIC PRIZES.

So it's going to be Darigan or Roo Island?

Also, does anyone know how many games I need to -play of slushie slinger to get above beginner level?
Prizes are based on personnal performances, I suppose a Virtupets all-star will get better than a Darigan Citadel level 1.

And for SS, no idea.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Assuming an SS win is 1/3 of a point, you need to win 150 to get above the beginner level. Frankly, I can't be bothered anymore, and don't think I'll play anything again :)
covet

Post by covet »

I don't really know what a slushie slinger win is - you just get points, and I have no idea what counts as a high or low score.

Which is all much of a muchness, really, as I certainly don't have the patience for 150 attempts. I havn't really been putting much effort into anything lately, either.
Illucoran

Post by Illucoran »

Excuse me while I begin my presence on neocolours with a rant.

I honestly don't know why I'm even vaguely surprised. TNT has shown time and time again that they'll drop any pretence of responsibility for their words if it only pleases a large enough number of users, and here it clearly does. Throughout the tournament I believed that the purpose of the double round robin was for everybody to be able to play through as much of the tournament as possible, so that once the finals arrive they only miss a day or two of games, I was even expecting people would be able to sign up for the finalists but purely as passive support (i.e: not able to add to the score), which would earn them some secondary trophy at best. I'm not even going to start raising theories about which of the finalists got off better or worse on team switching, I have my opinions but we'll just have to wait and see. It doesn't really matter who's going to win or loose anyway, everybody is going to blame everything on team switching, which is a sad thing seeing as DC and RI were probably quite evenly matched and I was honestly interested in who would win.

I was wondering if you noticed something else, in their attempt to please everybody involved TNT "overlooked" a certain number of players. Namely those who signed up onto teams that came 3rd and 4th at the end of the first round. These are the only users on the whole of NP who can't actually try for the first place (assuming they're following the "no double accounting on the cup" rule, blatant breaking of which TNT tended to ignore throughout the tournament), ironically of the 14 teams that didn't make it to the top 2 those are the people who came closest but they have to satisfy themselves with fighting for the lowest step on the podium.

If we were to sign up for next year today I'd seriously consider staying on the sidelines.
Do not meddle in the affairs of the dragons for humans are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

To be fair, we currently have no reason to believe that those players who played for a non-qualifying team and have now signed up to support the winner will get the same benefits as those who have supported the winning team from the outset.

As a Shenkuu supporter I'd certainly like to come away with a more shiny trophy for finishing third or fourth than, say, a Faerieland supporter who's chosen to support RI or Darigan. They changed the game system this year, why believe they wouldn't change the trophy system too?
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Illucoran

Post by Illucoran »

Well, it WAS a rant, right now I had a good night's sleep and am perhaps a little less venomous.

I suppose (and hope for it) it wouldn't be unreasonable if people who joined a team only for the finals got something less... sparkly? Though personally I'm worried TNT is going to go along the lines of "but our immature users (who are legion) wouldn't be happy about this" and is going to try and keep those users satisfied, much like it did in the past.

And it doesn't really change my argument about 3rd and 4th teams.
Do not meddle in the affairs of the dragons for humans are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Well, precedence suggests that people who have remained loyal to their teams will get something more than people who switch. Last year, people on both Darigan and Haunted Woods from the beginning got special books which weren't available through any other means, and are currently unbuyable. Those who switched to the 1st-place team got less impressive lookup trophies than those who stuck with the 2nd-place team. Being on a winning team appeared to have no effect on actual prizes, so don't assume until the prizes are given out that it'll be unfair. And really, there's nothing wrong with pleasing the masses...
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Aaaaand it's over.

I can't even get on the site right now. I was on a few minutes ago to play a final game, and Neo's all but shut down under the strain of everyone and their mother logging in to see who won.

No, wait, the lag's gone. :P
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I finished the cup with 2342 wins
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Wow, that's crazy. I could never have managed that much -- I did good to get in an hour a day, two hours against tougher opponents. :) My stats:

Rank 11
5,474 goals
819 games
Aurinona

Post by Aurinona »

I somehow got confused and kept thinking that TODAY was the last day of games, so missed my goal of 200 wins by six. Oops.

Is it just me, though, or did the amount that side-games count for change this morning? I was still rank 3 when I woke up, and now it's showing me as rank 4. All I can think is that my Slushie Slinger or Make Some Noise points started counting for a bit more and bumped me up. Not that I'm complaining- I like the blue gem better anyway!
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I got to 175 wins. I am content. :P

*doesn't like blue anyway...*

Kudos to Iggy and Cranberry for going the whole nine yards, though. I just couldn't face the monotony of that game for more than half an hour at a time.