Possible Kora revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Possible Kora revamp

Post by Seerow »

If you battle the lag long enuogh, you'll see there's a new poll on the news about a Kora revamp.
ImageImage

I'm really not liking this one. I didn't think the old one needed a revamp (at least not as much as some of the other older pets).
As a lot of people have pointed out, its chubby. I'm not against chubby pets, but its not a good chubby. It just looks overweight, especially when compared to the slimmer old Kora.
The shading is also a big no for me. It makes the pet look shiny and like plastic. The old Kora was furry, this new one looks like its just a molded plastic toy.

I do however really like the ears and tails. And the eyes are lovely.
Last edited by Seerow on 06 Nov 2007 04:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Saturn

Re: Possible Kora revamp

Post by Saturn »

The new one looks so... fat... :/

I think the Kora could do with some tweaks to the artwork, but keep the current pose please, like with the proposed Keeto revamp. I too love how the ears and tails look but the body is just way too chunky for what I've always considered to be a very sleek, streamlined looking pet.

And the shading makes it look hairless or something, I always thought Koras were fuzzy :/ (the current version has some obvious fur on its leg joins)
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

My first Subeta pet was my Kora. I liked how it looked like a big eyed furry alien. The new version looks like a fat porcine animal with no fur and a fat clump of tails. There are things I like...the eyes have been maintained as huge pink glowing pools of innocence or evil, take your pick and the tails and ears are still all wavy and alien looking. I just really, really, really do n ot like how fat it is and how over shaded it is. The shading makes it look smooth or hairless and I prefer fuzzy or furry on the Kora. The base of the tails on the new one looks blobby where on the old one it all kind of comes in to a stopping point that is smaller and less obvious. I love how they kept it where it has no real mouth. I know that sounds weird, but I like that about the Kora.The new lineart is thinner and much more refined which I like. Overall it kept most of the personality of the pet, I just wish they had left it furry and lean versus smooth and fat.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

It does look plumper, especially the back thigh and foot (it's twice the size of the front one!) The Kora walks on four legs, so it shouldn't need such massive back parts, right? And the front legs look like sausages. The tentacles are much improved, as is the ears. I love those. I wish they kept the cute "I'm leaping towards you!/I'm floating!" pose and the great shinyness of the eyes.

EDIT: My very first Subetapet was a Kora, too! I like it even more than the Kumos.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

Oh goodness, take it away, take it away! Its so shiny and plump and hairless and looks like a greased up pig with that shading. I loved the old pose, why must the new one alter it so? The feet should not look like they're touching a solid surface, but rather of the ground to give the feeling of floating freely, like in the old pose.

As also as has been mentioned, I don't like that the tail tentacles look like they're coming together as a massive blog at the back. I'd rather have a base that splits into four, not four separate tails that come out of the back.

I also don't like how the head seems more squished, which I think in large part is do to the slighter alteration in thickness of the forehead diamond and less dip of chin. I like the position of the new ears, but I don't like how the fringe part is not as thick towards the top.

Uhm...have to be positive...I like the eyes pretty well. Geez, I'm sorry so sound so critical, but this is not a revamp I am pleased with at all. It sort of kept the original emotion of the pet but slaughtered so much of its appeal at the same time.

Oh, and count me in for another that had the kora as their first pet.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Definitely not a fan of this revamp.

Here's what I wrote on the subeta comments section:

I do not like this revamp.

As many others have pointed out, this new version looks like it put on about 20 extra pounds and buffed itself till it was squeaky clean. All the crazy highlights make it look like a plastic toy, not like a furry slinky animal. Why must everything around here have to have impossibly crazy shinyness? It just doesn't work.

I also don't like how the tail and ears are all meddled together. They really make the image confusing to look at, and again, they all seem to thick and heavy for the kora to even lift.

Add me to the list that had a Kora as one of their first pets. I traded her to my fiancee though - but I still get to see her all the time. :)
Kari

Post by Kari »

Fat, shiny, and hairless. And I don't like it. Looking at it more, I agree with Elzaim about the ears and tail melting together. Needs more contrast between them.

I hope my Miakis turns out okay. She was my first pet, and now she's my strongest and second favorite of the 10 I have now.
derp
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I suppose I am in the minority that greatly prefer this revamp.

Firstly, the old one had fur? :shock: Although those "tufts" on the legs suggest it, I never really noticed them and the rest of the pet looks so...not fluffy- I kind of imagined it to be like skin. Therefore the "loss" of fur doesn't really make a difference to me.

The shading is an improvement to the current version, the muscles are more defined, which is sometimes overdone *cough* but I don't mind it here. If anything, the shades of blue on the body could be less varied, but it was always like that, so that's not a complaint with this version, just the Kora.

I just did a tiny edit which I think makes it look a bit better. All I did was remove the leg and make the stomach line less rounded and more sucked in.

Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

I may have been the only one to not think the Kora was furry. Okay, maybe slightly furry, but more skin than hair. Know what I mean?

I agree that it needs to be a *tad* leaner, but other than that, I like it a lot.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Rah

Post by Rah »

The kora actually has very short fur - like seal fur? So it isn't really supposed to look furry. But I can see that i've made it too shiny on the lighter purple bit. So I can dim that contrast no problem. The helmet is supposed to be shiny though - i've always considered it to be a kind of armor? So it's made of a mystical shiny material, very flexible for bendy appendages. This pet isn't really comparable to anything on our earth, so their are parts that are un-earth like.

Making it thinner isn't a problem though. I have a habit of drawing chubby pets, I guess that's just how I like them!
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Rah, you just like your pets to look well fed :) I really have faith that you will make this the best revamp with a few tweaks. You have always been really good at taking feedback and making changes for the betterment of the end product. I can live with seal like fur, I just really can't see the Kora as furless as that part of the pet is ingrained in me as a part of it...don't ask me why, it just is. You have been taking a beating in the news comments and on here for the shiny and the plump and you have (as always) handled it really well. I know you will make the Kora end up pretty and cuddly which will in turn make me happy so ((hugs)) on Rah and her love of cute pets.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

adi_gallia wrote:I just did a tiny edit which I think makes it look a bit better. All I did was remove the leg and make the stomach line less rounded and more sucked in.

I actually like this a great deal. It looks good - not fat anymore, and floaty again! Yay!

Rah, if you do this and make the tails a bit clearer, then I'm sold ^^
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
PharaonicQuiche

Post by PharaonicQuiche »

A couple of random things bug me. One is the lack of a neck. The old Kora had the head lowered enough that one could assume the neck was hidden behind it, but with the head on this angle and without any sort of line to suggest a neck... it looks like a head pasted on top of shoulders to me. Other nitpicks would be the lack of barrel area definition. At the angle drawn I would think the barrel/body/ribs would show up over the hindquarters rather than the leg line being drawn up into the belly area. And the last tail tentacle attaches a little low. The old Kora buttacles attached to the end of the spine area but the new outside buttacle base seems to be lower. Like out of the hip or somewhere even less comfortable.

Everything else works for me. Shiny shading and all. I've never had a Kora but the revamp looks promising. Love the face n' tentacles.

Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I prefer the old one as well. This one looks like it's made of jello.

One particular beef I have with it is it's ears and tail. I don't like the left ear(our left) and how it's so much more curly than the right one. It makes it look like it's longer than the other one. I also wish there was a bit more... ear-flap(?) there. But I guess this one looks a bit more like the redraws. I think the tails should overlap differently. The one furthest to the right(our right) over the next one, then that one over the next, etc. Not sure how to explain it.

And yes, more fur. It looks nekkid. ;^; Even if it's just a tiny bit on the elbows, like the Galactic one.
Last edited by Slugawoo on 06 Nov 2007 07:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

PharaonicQuiche wrote: Image
Your re-line makes all the difference for me. The pet went from being fat and round, to being sleek again. Not as slender as the old one, but now it looks like a healthy chubby rather then just being overweight. I would actually really like the relined version of the Kora.

Just needs some sort of indication that it has fur :P
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.