New forum layout

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

New forum layout

Post by Jazzy »

In order to make the forum better compatible with the upgrades I'm going to have to do, and the mods I plan to add once there's a stable release, I've decided to change the forums to use prosilver rather than subsilver2. Subsilver2 is a port of subsilver, the old layout, while prosilver is actually designed for phpBB3 and is the official style.

I've had to make quite a few edits to the code in order to change some strange ways of displaying things, as well as to make the pages finally look like the rest of the site again, so please let me know if there are any bugs. If anyone's curious how the default prosilver looks, you can have a look at this site - the version on phpbb.com is not available for use.

I'd also like to add that I'm very grateful to the people who've pledged donations so far; we currently have up to next May covered so thank you all :) I would still appreciate further donations, though, since I won't be able to guarantee hosting beyond then otherwise.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: New forum layout

Post by Seerow »

I'm really not sure how the forums work or anything. I was just wondering if we could change the theme/color/whatever its called for the forums.
I'm not really liking the new layout all that much, even though I understand you had to upgrade. It just all seems very blocky and it'll take some time to get used to. But if I can, I'd like to mess with the colors or something.

On another note: Whoot for the banner and the top links back. NC just doesn't seem like NC without that banner :)
And the smilies are the old ones too, much love for that!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

There is only one thing I don't like about this layout and it is the location of the page numbers. It is really throwing me off, but I'm sure I'll be able to get used to it.
Image Image Image
FourEyes

Post by FourEyes »

It's pretty nice, really. I'm having the same problem as Monkeyguy, the location of the page numbers, but I think I'm getting used to it already.

Also, I missed the banner. No, really.
...Oops. *searching for a smaller sig*
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I'm so used to the old style that this one is going to take a bit of getting used to - it's rather different!

Like Monkeyguy, the location of the page numbers is confusing me. And the entire row you're mousing over gets highlighted even though you can't click on it, that seems a bit pointless. Anyway, it's progress - I'll get used to it.

Good to see the logo is back, though.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I would move the page numbers, but they fit best where they are now, and having used the style for a few days, you get used to looking for them at the right rather than underneath. (I've been recoding this for three or so days now, and while I kept missing the page numbers myself at first, by now I'm automatically going to the right.)

As for the colour scheme...I don't have the time or energy at the moment to change it beyond what I've already done (again, comparison link in the top post). Also, if I start creating more themes, it negates the purpose of the style upgrade - instead of having the one default style to update whenever I make changes to the forum backend, I'll have n coloured themes to change as well. However, you guys are more than welcome to take a look at the forum's stylesheet (easiest way to get it is to save any page from the forum and look in style.php), then copy and paste the bits you want to change into a user stylesheet. If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at Google for instructions on creating a custom stylesheet for your browser, because the instructions are different depending on your browser and operating system.

For example, if you wanted to make the background of the box where it says username, posts and location green with a black border, and align everything in people's signatures to the right, you would put this code into your stylesheet:

Code: Select all

.postprofile {
background-color: green !important;
border: 1px solid #000000 !important;
}

.signature {
text-align: right !important;
}
The !importants may not be necessary, but it's a case of if you need them and miss them out it won't work, while if you don't need them but you have them anyway, it'll work fine.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So was it just me, or is the year not included with the default date settings? There were a few posts on a thread dated Nov 18 of last year that I didn't catch until Gibbly pointed it out.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

The year displays for me on every post, and the forum-wide default is this:
d M Y h:i a
which means day, month, year, hour, minutes, am/pm. If you can't see the year, you might have overridden this in your profile to something without the year displayed.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I've noticed that my post count has been dropping. Yesterday I had 700 posts, and when I just finished posting a few minutes ago, I had 692. If I go to my profile and search for all posts, it says I should have 707, but yesterday it said 715. I thought I had more than that to begin with, although I've never paid a lot of attention to my post count, so I'm not sure. Are old threads being deleted or something?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yes. A number of threads in the Subeta section in particular are being periodically deleted - Achievements and Tales of Woe, the Trivia, Adoption, some others - and when that happens, your post count goes down. The reason they're being deleted is that currently, the database is increasing in size and if it keeps up at that rate, I will be forced to pay for a size increase I can't afford. The posts being deleted are almost all one-line posts saying things like "this trivia is easy, I got it straight away", which take up almost exactly the same amount of room in the database as longer posts with content people may want to refer back to. I could prune indiscriminately on more of the forums, but I think this is fairer.

Some post counts are also not synchronised with the actual number of posts people have owing to pruning (which deletes posts but does not lower post count), possible glitches during the forum move, and oddities based on which forums people are allowed to see - for example, if you look at my post count, then the number of posts I have from my profile search results, they shouldn't match, because a number of mine are in member-only forums and won't show up to ordinary users in a search.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Makes sense, and I agree that deleting posts like that is a better system than indiscriminately pruning. Thanks for the reply. :)