RL Achievements and ToW-split 2/16/09

Non-neopets general discussion.
Monkeyguy

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by Monkeyguy »

I saw a license plate that read "ICE MAGE" today. It was pretty cool, however, the "W '04" sticker on the window kinda killed it.

Also I finished Pan's Labyrinth after starting it last week. Really good movie. I cried.

And these are both Achievements.
Image Image Image
danceu4ia

Post by danceu4ia »

Pan's Labyrinth makes me cry every time too...but a theraputic kind of cry, because....well I BELIEVE IN FAERIES!

*ahem* anyways...

I passed Driver's Ed with a 85%!!
That took waaaaaaayy too long to achieve, my procrastinatio skillz are at their finest :?
But I'm almost a full driver!! Just onnnee more test. :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

Big yay: I heard back from three universities: Essex, Northampton and Kingston and they all want me. Some have ridicously low conditions! :D Oh and I got a high grade on my biology test and I'm on Christmas break!
Woe: Still no word from UBC :( And I nearly failed a math test and I get to spend christmas break studying for my mocks...
danceu4ia

Post by danceu4ia »

ladynight, I know that in a lot of provinces in Canada, NO ONE hears from universities until February...and that's an "Early Acceptance", early acceptances are conditional.

Well that's how it works in Ontario at least, the deadline to apply is in January, so no one hears until after way after January. Hopefully no need to stress yet about UBC, hope you get in!
Last edited by danceu4ia on 17 Dec 2007 01:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

danceu4ia wrote:ladynight, I know that in a lot of provinces in Ontario, NO ONE hears from universities until February...and that's an "Early Acceptance", early acceptances are conditional.

Well that's how it works in Ontario at least, the deadline to apply is in January, so no one hears until after way after January. Hopefully no need to stress yet about UBC, hope you get in!
Ugh I hate waiting! I am horrible at it! Stupid question: do the schools need the papers from your high school before January as well? Because otherwise I'm screwed. I got a letter yesterday about how they got my application (the common one) and my attendance office is closed for the next three weeks. :S
danceu4ia

Post by danceu4ia »

Ugh I hate waiting! I am horrible at it! Stupid question: do the schools need the papers from your high school before January as well? Because otherwise I'm screwed. I got a letter yesterday about how they got my application (the common one) and my attendance office is closed for the next three weeks. :S
mmm...that might require a call to the UBC admissions office, they'll tell you for sure. Worth the long distance charges for the peace of mind, I'm sure.

found this for ya, on the UBC website...
Application Deadlines
Application to UBC opens in October and closes on February 28. There is one online application for both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, and you will need to pay a $100 non-refundable application fee. You can only submit one application, but you can specify a first and second choice.
Doesn't mean too much to me, universities are different depending on what province they are located in. Looks to me though like you have more time to apply than I do. XP

psst...found it here. https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/request/faq.do;j ... 70998EEAAE
ImageImageImage
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

danceu4ia wrote:
mmm...that might require a call to the UBC admissions office, they'll tell you for sure. Worth the long distance charges for the peace of mind, I'm sure.

found this for ya, on the UBC website...
Application Deadlines
Application to UBC opens in October and closes on February 28. There is one online application for both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, and you will need to pay a $100 non-refundable application fee. You can only submit one application, but you can specify a first and second choice.
Doesn't mean too much to me, universities are different depending on what province they are located in. Looks to me though like you have more time to apply than I do. XP

psst...found it here. https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/request/faq.do;j ... 70998EEAAE
Thanks :) My school sent off my UBC papers like three weeks ago. It's York and Toronto I'm worried about. Because I received letters from them saying what they want the day my christmas break started :S This is the only time I'm cursing a three week christmas break...
danceu4ia

Post by danceu4ia »

That is tough about York and Toronto...those I know about. w00t Ontario. :P
I'd definitely try to call the Admissions office (to York and UofT) really soon because their christmas break starts sometime this week. Explain everything, and I wish you good luck.

What are you trying to get into? something sciency? (Just guessing from your university choices...)

EDIT: Didn't want to double post, but...

I just got an acceptance offer from the University of Carlton in our Nation's Capital. That was my long shot application, I did not even anticipate making it in.
I am at a loss for words...in shock...especially since 90% of acceptances are in February at the earliest. I don't even know what to do with myself...

Weird part is I'm still waiting to be accepted into my local U, and my favourite choice, McMaster. Time will tell I guess.
ImageImageImage
Madge

Post by Madge »

Woohoo a backlog of acheivements:

I passed all my units, yay! This is good because last semester I failed maths. I even got 68% (almost a distinction!) in Hydraulics I, which is awesome because I worked really hard and it was really hard. (Australia, 45% + is a high fail, 50%+ is pass, 60%+ is credit, 70%+ is distinction, and 80%+ is High Distinction)

I met a cute boy at a friend's birthday party and he was willing to kiss me so yay :D

I met Anna (the same one who's here very rarely) in real life and it was AWESOME TIMES

However a big woe is that the GM from the Vampire: The Requiem Campaign I've been in the last 9 or 10 months is moving back to Melbourne (other side of the country) permenantly :(. She's going to live her dream getting into competitive ballroom dancing though so we're all happy for her. Also she'll be doing it WITH ANOTHER GIRL, so it will be SIGNIFICANTLY HOTTER than straight ballroom dancing!

An acheivement though is that she says she wants me to continue the campaign as the new GM. I've never run a campaign before so I am very nervous, but she seems to believe in me and I of course believe in myself because I quite clearly am awesome.

Does anyone have any tips on running a good game? The GM is going to give me all her notes so I'm at least going to have a bit of a start :). Yay.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Madge wrote:I passed all my units, yay! This is good because last semester I failed maths. I even got 68% (almost a distinction!) in Hydraulics I, which is awesome because I worked really hard and it was really hard. (Australia, 45% + is a high fail, 50%+ is pass, 60%+ is credit, 70%+ is distinction, and 80%+ is High Distinction)
I wish the American schools did that. I've been fortunate enough to never fail a class (*knocks on wood*), but 60% always seemed too high a bar to set for a "pass." And congratulations on passing all of your units!

Achievement: I got all As and Bs this past quarter.

Woe: It could have been one more A if the one professor had rounded my 89.5% up. >_< I hate it when I do that; miss a grade by x points.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I think, though, that it's easier to get 60% in places where 60% is only scraping a pass. I've sat exams where 60% would get you an A (with an A* at 80%, usually - the A wouldn't be the highest grade) and it's not always easy to actually get that 60%, despite the fact that it looks like a fairly low percentage. It normally means the paper's actually more difficult than usual.

(For what it's worth, my uni's pass mark is 40%, or approximately 52% on multiple choice pharmacy exams because the scores are adjusted to take into account the fact that if you guess answers you will statistically get 20% correct and they don't use negative marking for wrong answers. However, the pharmacy pre-reg exam's pass mark is 70% and if you fail three times, you don't get to be a pharmacist, despite having done a four-year degree by this point.)

Congrats, Madge!
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

Some major woes that affected my subeta SS this year, so my most sincere apologies.

First off, I haven't had internet access for almost a month because my dads been too busy to tak a look at our borked router and I cannot access either subeta or NC at the school I work in {a lot of the sites I like are blocked 'cause about 1/3 of the kids there have learning/social difficulties and do nothing but mess around on the computers given half the chance}.

Secondly, my paternal grandfather died unexpectedly at the ripe old age of 81 earier this month, he had alazheimer's and was very frial, kidney failure from a minor stroke mnaged to finish him off eventually. Which leads onto my third woe,

My mother almost had a nervous breakdown after watching my paternal grandad die in the way he had, this added onto the pressure she was feeling from watching my maternal gran have a major stroke right in front of her and visiting every day without a break for three months solid. During this time I've understandably been trying to help out around the house more often and do my far share of the housework so that her stress levels don't get to that point again. She seems to have calmed down again though, but we're all still treading fairly carefully right now since it's very early days.

I think this year has just been out to get us quite frankly, hopefully the new year will be better. Again my most sincere apologies to enri, seerow and my subeta SS, I'll try my best to find some way of making it up to you guys since you're all so fantastic *huggles for all*.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

have to say this quick, psp keyboards suck. my internet is broken, sending this on the psp, doesnt support frames so nc is fugly. don't know when normal internet will return, probly about the 6th when i go back to college where they have computers.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Yeah I think having 50% as a pass and writing the exam appropriately is a good thing, really; it means the exam isn't full of easy questions, and it means you aren't as pressured to answer so many in order to know you have a chance at passing.

If you're interested Officer (or anyone else, really), I can get you a pdf of an exam for pretty much any sort of subject you desire so you can see the standard for yourself. I'm doing civil engineering / computer science personally but the library website allows any current student to see any exam from the last 3 or 4 years.
Anna the Red

Post by Anna the Red »

I have an achievement! I met Madge and it was ace! We played Pokemon and she broke my real life roleplaying virginity!