Termaculus Alerts?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Termaculus Alerts?

Post by Kamil »

How difficult/impossible would it be for us to set up the same sort of Termy alert system that <a href="http://avatar.starried.net/turmaculus.p ... ied.net</a> has?

I'd love the get the avatar now, while I've got Orotha and his zapped Meepit on my main account, and I can't be the only one here who wants it but still doesn't have it.

Nor can I be the only one who wants it and spends more time here than at any other fansite, or, God forbid, the neoboards, thereby missing all the usual ways of noticing that he's stirring.

So if we had something set up the way they do - and it looks to me like if you find him up you just click a button and it pops up a prelim notice to the top of the site -- and then they need a certain number of confirmations before a "real" alert goes up -- but it seems to me that we're much less likely to get troll alerts (especially if we set it so only members can activate it), so I doubt we'd need the secondary thingee, wouldn't you think?

So would there be any interest in having something like that? How hard to code would it be?

It should be just a simple javascript command, right? Click button 'a' and make image 'b' pop to the top of every page of the site.

*goes off to google*

WANT. AVATAR.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

when I still had a petpet attached that i didn't care for if it was eaten I used to check out this site:
http://home.neopets.com/templates/homep ... =picovamde
And it is very usefull.. though, I don't know how far she would let us use the times for an alert..
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

No, this can't be done through Javascript. It has to be set up server-side, so that it can be send to all the people that are online.

It's theoretically possible, I got some idea on how to do it in PHP, so it could be added to the list of things to do. However, there's one thing that people should then be aware of - if you would like me to add it to the forums as well, I'd obviously have to make modifications to it as well. It's not that difficult to make them, but I'd like people to be aware of that first.
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

I would like this! *adds support*
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Since this is the only Neo fan forum I visit now, it'd be a bonus to me too if it could be implemented.

(posting in wonderful 640x480, 16-colour resolution as my display driver has gone kaput again :/ The embarassed smiley turns grey when it blushes. Odd!)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

In the meantime, perhaps we could put a sticky in Misc or Petpets, and people only post on there when he's up?
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Yes, that's what I was wondering. PPT has a new thread each time he's up, but I think that would end up drowning whatever forum we post in with locked threads.
Zap

Post by Zap »

A thread specifically for Turmaculus alerts so you can get topic reply notifications for him would be really useful.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Okay, it's now up in Petpets.

(reasoning: misc has stickies, petpets does not, turmy is a giant petpet and eats petpets, and when he eats yours you might go there and say you now need a new petpet match.)
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Status report - I've been working on this in between some Neverwinter Nights sessions (there's nothing like hunting zombies to distract you in between coding).

I've done the basic implementation: The alert should now show up on the main site when it is set, and in the site admin section they can be automatically set.

The easy part of what's left to do is to set up a page where any member can set an alert. In my current implementation, you can be a 'trusted member', who can immediately turn on the alert, or a non-trusted member, who can set the alert, but gets a link attached to it asking for it to be confirmed. Once another member does that, there's no difference there either.

Another part is having the alert show up on the forums. This is going to be more difficult than it seems because the main site's database (where the alerts are stored) is different from the forum database. I currently do some in my opinion ungraceful things to check your login on the main site, but it might become quite a bit more difficult on the forums. Furthermore, I'm not sure whether it would be preserved when the forums get upgraded.

I'll also need to do some more (actual) testing. That'll have to wait, however, until Turmaculus is awake as well. Feel free to bother me on MSN about that if I'm not away/busy, and I'll activate it.