Possible New Serpenth - Revamp now complete

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Possible New Serpenth - Revamp now complete

Post by AngharadTy »

We don't know the size of the Lasirus, or if it has air bladders or hollow bones or things like that. A hummingbird's wings are very small, compared to its body size, then compared to something like an albatross. Or even something like a sparrow. The Lasirus I can accept.

It's not a biology textbook illustration?! Well I was completely fooled. ;P Just because I want some degree of biological accuracy doesn't mean I think it should be an anatomical illustration. Hell, I own a montre. In this particular case, the wings went from possibly being capable of supporting flight to being a complete evolutionary waste. I can't help that I was a paleo (and because of that, bio) student. I can't help but see these designs as being faulty. Does that mean all pets naturally fail my test? No. But this is a site for discussing pet colors. Why on earth should I hold back on my criticism because it's a drawing? My ideal pets have a good balance between aesthetics and realism. The serpenth's wings fail both for me.
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, I like the shape of the current wings, but they could have been a bit bigger, about midway between the two sizes. The other wings were too "fluffy" and took over the visual space.

And I still really don't like how the hair turned out.

I'm still going to miss the old Serpenth though. It's one of the main things that attracted me to Subeta in the first place.

I'll be watching to see how Graveyard fares through this.
Fury From Above

Post by Fury From Above »

And as a former art student I can't help but be annoyed by criticism that a certain creature's wings are too small to fly; when I can make the wings super huge and guess what? It still won't fly because of a massive number of other adjustments like aerodynamics and wing muscle size. But I don't care because the dragon or whatever creature I drew isn't going to fly out of my paper and suddenly succumb to gravity and air pressure.

It reminds me of the Animal Planet special trying really hard to make dragons real life creatures. They included the idea of using hydrogen bladders to propel them in the air; but alas many in the discovery channel forums pointed out that a dragon would have to resemble a dirigible in order to have enough hydrogen to lift it's weight(A Larisius might need one the size of a refrigerator...or a house).

There was this article written by a fantasy artist named Ursula Vernon mocking the lengths people try to go too to make sure their fantasy creature can "fly" when it is utterly useless in most cases; especially in the example given was winged wolf anthros. Too bad the article isn't up anymore, but she went on to say that in order for an anthro wolf to fly; it's wings would have to extend really high; it would lack boobs; have huge chest muscles; wings would have to assimilate with the tail; and a number of other things that would make it utterly unrecognizable.

But the serpenth's wings do irk me in the sense that they seem pretty out of place; I would prefer them looking more graceful and in tune to the flow and curves of the creature.

Yes, people should be free to give criticism of a color; but that also means disagreeing with each other; much like the mockery of the opinion of those on Subeta that preffered smaller wings. I'm not even sure if serpenths are even supposed to fly or not.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I'm not even sure if serpenths are even supposed to fly or not.
The original pose of the Serpenth had it in the air, flying. The redraws Angelic and Reborn have it in the air. It's supposed to fly.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

The thing is, a Serpenth couldn't really fly no matter how big its wings were. Bird torsos are extremely rigid to withstand the stresses of flight: a snake's is extremely flexible to crawl into small spaces. I don't see any place to attach the flight muscles, either. A winged snake is an absurdity: it can't function either as a flying animal or as a snake.

So I don't see that the size of the wings makes that much difference so long as they're in a size range that makes them aesthetically pleasing. I think the first wings looked too big and floppy, I think the current wings look too stiff and stubby.
Zekumi

Post by Zekumi »

The size of the wings and the Serpenths ability to fly or not fly doesn't bother me, I just flat-out don't like the new version. I especially dislike the tongue. It looks blurry and obtrusive to me. Also, the face... well, I just don't like anything about the head. Not in the least.

I significantly prefer the pose that this one has going to the new one. I might actually adopt something like this, whereas I don't even want to have to look at the new version. P=
witchtara

Post by witchtara »

Zekumi wrote:The size of the wings and the Serpenths ability to fly or not fly doesn't bother me, I just flat-out don't like the new version. I especially dislike the tongue. It looks blurry and obtrusive to me. Also, the face... well, I just don't like anything about the head. Not in the least.

I significantly prefer the pose that this one has going to the new one. I might actually adopt something like this, whereas I don't even want to have to look at the new version. P=
I hated the old one, it looked...fat and stiff..

That one...yeah, the wings are better. But I pretty much love the new one.
  • MuseBlog, Neopets, Subeta, Gaia, MuseBlog,
and on and on and on...

What's that you say? I repeated one?
Fury From Above

Post by Fury From Above »

And floofly feathers that match the contours of the pet.

Why do the initial revamps look better than the second/finalized ones? *points to the Aerie*
Zekumi

Post by Zekumi »

^ EXACTLY. T___T
I loved the sex-kitten Feli, the first proposed Aerie, and that darned Serpenth. =P
I'm a mess.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I must say I quiet like the new revamp version and very happy they finally released it. I find it looks so pretty. I do think the wings are a tad to small for my tastes, I think they could of been a bit bigger. Not thinking on it would fly but that it would just fit better with the body (if that makes sense ^_^"). But I love the rest of it so I can ignore the wing issue. I can't wait to see the redraws, I have faith they'll turn out good. I'm most excited about the spectrum one cause my pet Daray might become it, it I love it enough.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Sarivonne

Post by Sarivonne »

I say malcho from Aladdin series would have been pretty good to reference from as far as wings + serpents go:

http://www.streetrat.net/ae/m/malcho