Official Subeta Giveaway!

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Iggy

Re: Official Subeta Giveaway!

Post by Iggy »

Keith scrapped the donation corner because people were whining because of timezones. That's the official reason.
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Well it seems pretty obvious to me that this method (ie: the free shop) isn't much better - seeing as how after 2 pages here on the NC, hardly anyone has gotten anything at all.

I've been attempting to get something for the last hour and a half on my super-fast work computer, and haven't managed to get a single thing. Instead I've been riddled with My SQL errors, and when I hit back or refresh, everything's gone. How is that more 'fair' then putting things in the DC at different time intervals and just having a longer giveaway so every timezone has a chance to get things?
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Lol. Impossible...well no, near impossible to get anything. Decent or not.

I too miss the donation giveaway...thought the complaining about that is what lead to this.

You just cant make everyone happy. Oh well. Needless to say, I gave up trying to get something before I even tried.
Image Image
ImageImage
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

MYSQL means you missed the item.
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Which implies how incredibly difficult it is to actually get any item - whatsoever.
Elzaim wrote: Instead I've been riddled with My SQL errors, and when I hit back or refresh, everything's gone.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I've now tried, off and on, for nearly three hours and I still have absolutely nothing, at all, to show for it. Seriously, I never even made it to the haggle page on any item at all.

I give up, since all this is doing is raising my blood pressure and making me want to go hit things. Hard.

So much for "A time of celebration". At least so far as Subeta is concerned.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Last Restocked: 41 minutes ago
That's from the Free Shop page. I just got home from work, so has the site been down or something?
How often does the shop restock anyway?

Think I'm gonna go chill with Kamil though. Don't want/need to be frustrated over a holiday.

Edit: Oops, had a link for an image at first XD
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

I noticed the news comments were cleared too, so ...
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

Only 250 people on and every other page is "Subeta.net is taking too long to respond!" Why do these damn giveaways if the site is going to be down or unplayable? It's not like it's a surprise that the servers are going to be stressed -_-

You know what would be a cool Free Gift? A MYSQL Squirrel. Or a MYSQL Squirrel Battledome challenger.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
stinkbomb

Post by stinkbomb »

I'm tired of seeing certain staffers and their unholy horde of mindless sheeple blasting people for having the nerve to be disappointed, frustrated or just downright ticked off because their new system is worse than the old system. Yes, its free stuff.. thats awesome. But it ceases to be awesome when the site crashes constantly, or you sit and try for hours in the middle of the flipping night on a fairly decent internet connection and STILL manage to get absolutely squat. The DC was nifty in that I never felt an ungodly frenzy of must click annnnnything just to try to get something. I would sit and sift thru page after page in search of nifty stuff. It was fun. It was a way to see some random items I didn't even know existed. Now? Good lord.. blink and it's gone. Poof. There is no fun, there is no feeling of festivity. I feel like I am at the mall on Christmas Eve fighting to the death over the very last Wii in the state. Yep.. fun fun fun. The DC was hardly perfect, but come on..this flat out sucks. I remember the huuuuuge posts on this forum with people offering others some of the cool stuff they had snagged from the DC. Now? Doesn't seem as though anyone is even getting anything, much less so much they are cheerfully bombing one another with the stuff they snagged.

Of course as I write this it's been over an hour since the last restock. Either it's broken or we are being punished for being greedy evil people who dare to complain. Maybe some other reason, but just going off of some of the staffers comments it sure seems like it's a ?We'll show those greedy bastards! No free stuff for you!"

Merrrrrrrrrrrrrry Crapmas Subeta :(
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

stinkbomb wrote:Of course as I write this it's been over an hour since the last restock. Either it's broken or we are being punished for being greedy evil people who dare to complain. Maybe some other reason, but just going off of some of the staffers comments it sure seems like it's a ?We'll show those greedy bastards! No free stuff for you!"

Merrrrrrrrrrrrrry Crapmas Subeta :(
None of the shops have restocked in over an hour so I highly doubt we are being punished. Giveaways seem to be more like work than fun these days. I used to love how everyone here would collect items then give them to others who wanted them. It's one of my favorite early Subeta memories.
Not all who wander are lost.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Sunwolf, it so needs to be a MYSQuirreL. Nothing else. :)

:)
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I had this whole huge post typed up for this last night and then figured I was being too mean and went to bed. Anyway:

I like the idea Sunwolf quoted on page 1. It's simple. It's pretty much Random without the crappy dice. Every so often you go click a button, and get a free something, which may be a mundane item from the sticker shop or a Shinigami. And the best part is, next to being completely random (or maybe having a higher change of getting rarer items the more you play), is that there's no crazy frenzy. Stinkbomb's metaphore with the wii was completely accurate.

This free shop isn't fun. It never was. The DC was because you got to look through all the items and take what you wanted, even if it was just a cheap plushie, and then you had to wait a bit to let others get things too. Seerow's idea would also work very well, I think (as long as you don't go for hours without getting an item like during some giveaways).

And I want a MySQL Squirrel. :>
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

MYSQuirreL would rock hardcore. I'd love to see one as a free gift. ^^

Okay, I'll be honest, I actually managed to snag something for the Free Shop: A Dawn Magnus Elixir. I didn't think I'd actually get past the purchase the page, but I did which surprised me entirely. Though I was going to stick it in my gallery, if anyone would like to have it, they can.

And as I write this, also managed to get a Cream Lasirus Elixir too. That purchase page lagged like crazy, so I'm also surpirsed about it.

Still, I do like the other ideas you guys have mentioned. The system kind of does need to be improved.

EDIT: I saw a Billboard there. o.O Wow.
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

stinkbomb wrote:"We'll show those greedy bastards! No free stuff for you!"
"NO FREE GIFTS! ONE YEAR!!"

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I never can resist a good set-up. (I'm not saying the Subeta staff are nazis, by the way. That just happens to be the nickname of this guy...)

But it does seem like this whole giveaway business has turned into a huge mess. I'm seeing a lot of hurt feelings and nasty words from people on both sides. I'm also not liking this prevailing assumption that the people not getting anything are whiners who just aren't trying hard enough. From what I can tell, the majority of people are putting in the effort and still aren't getting anything for it aside from error messages and frustration. That's not fun, that's WORK, and it can be done any other time of the year. That shouldn't be happening. The giveaway should either be tweaked with, or done away with altogether. Though I hope it doesn't come down to the latter, that'd be sad indeed.

Quick question: I've heard the free shop was supposed to be fairer to those in different time zones, but why is that, exactly? I assumed that in both cases, the gifts were automatically released at certain times throughout the day and night.