Another one bites the dust EDIT: UNFROZEN TODAY!!!

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
Usul_Princess

Another one bites the dust EDIT: UNFROZEN TODAY!!!

Post by Usul_Princess »

Thank God for premium. We'll see how this pans out. It's a classic CG pound board story, so yeah.
Last edited by Usul_Princess on 31 Aug 2009 07:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Silver Link

Re: Oh, sh*t. another one bites the dust (frozen)....

Post by Silver Link »

2 questons. What's the classic CG pound board story and how will premium help you?

Aside from that, that really sucks
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Well, I clicked on a link that says "Pounding Maraquan draik at 4:20NST. That had about 375 posts in it. *facepalm* I sent about 5 pages of proof that the account was mine to the premium abuse and frozen forum. Including 7 screeenies inside my account that include Xsceena in them. I should be okay.
ImageImage

Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

Did the link take you to a Neopets thread or somewhere else? I'm totally clueless about how CGs work
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Ugh, TNT REALLY need to get a handle on this insanity. I hope you get your account back quickly.
varii

Post by varii »

She viewed the Draik's lookup, which had a CG embedded in its description. A CG is a thing that copies your cookies and allows whoever did it to trick the system into thinking that you are logged on when it is really a ''hacker'', allowing them access to your account. When you reset your password, your cookies are reset rendering the CG useless. This is why deleting your cookies does nothing: because they already have them. Pretty much anywhere that you can customise you can put a CG, despite TNT's apparent best efforts.

I visited a shop today with a CG, really freaked me out. I hope you get your account back in order soon, with your amount of proof and how quickly your account was frozen I think you should. :)
rei @ neopets
Madge

Post by Madge »

I thought the cookies were bound to your IP nowadays, which is why when I log in at work I get logged off at home, and vice versa? Or is there some different mechanism for this?

Yeah I'm clueless too. I'm just glad I rarely go to places with customisation.

Is there any way to know if the page you've visited has a CG on it?

I mean, assuming the hacker doesn't have a marquee in 12 point fuschia saying "LOL UR H@KT".
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Silver Link wrote:Did the link take you to a Neopets thread or somewhere else? I'm totally clueless about how CGs work

The link took me to the lookup of a maraquan draik. I'm assuming the real owner was hacked and their draik had CG code laced in it's lookup.

What was I thinking? Quite a few people were auto-frozen for clicking on that link. Apparently CG'ing is under "suspicious activity" (A new category I've never heard of, and this actually gives me hope.) And also, I'm not completely locked out. I have premium access to my side accounts because once upon a time I paid $15.95/mo to protect them, so I have portal, and my premium neomail. I'm (almost) 100% sure I'll be unfrozen because of the detailed information I put in the portal neomail, and the quickness of the abuse submission. Fjorab, how long did it take you to get de-iced?

I apologize for lacking so much of what transpired in my posts. I'm too irritated, and have to revisit this later tomorrow. I have to put it out of sight/mind for now because I have a ton of homework to do. I'm very relieved that I took out my phone #, & home address in the user admin. And I used a "throw away" email for all my accounts on top of that.
ImageImage

Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, I had Portal through the side account I have linked too, so I was able to go seek comfort on Charter and ask others what might happen.

I think it took almost a month to get mine back. I was getting a little heartsick over it, because I'm so attached to the site - or at least what I like about it. Hopefully this rash of CGing isn't so rampant, and also I hope you have a better case that it's provable it wasn't something you did personally to get frozen.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Sorry about your account. There seem to be lots of CGs around today (the usual codestone snipes but also people saying they're putting rare items in their shop for 1np). I hope things get sorted for you quickly.
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

varii wrote:She viewed the Draik's lookup, which had a CG embedded in its description. A CG is a thing that copies your cookies and allows whoever did it to trick the system into thinking that you are logged on when it is really a ''hacker'', allowing them access to your account. When you reset your password, your cookies are reset rendering the CG useless. This is why deleting your cookies does nothing: because they already have them. Pretty much anywhere that you can customise you can put a CG, despite TNT's apparent best efforts.

I visited a shop today with a CG, really freaked me out. I hope you get your account back in order soon, with your amount of proof and how quickly your account was frozen I think you should. :)
How did you know the shop had a CG embedded? Is this stuff random or is it insanely obvious? I mean, a thread about a Draik being pounded is suspicious but you never know
varii

Post by varii »

I was sniping and I clicked on the codestone and it wasn't reacting right and the 'would you like to buy this item' pop up wasn't popping up and then I got the neopets error that I was trying to reload the shop too fast and on that page my No Script was blocking something. It could have not been a CG, but I didn't get the codestone and I've never seen that happen before and I snipe A LOT. My gut says that's what it was.

I'm a moron when it comes to computer terminology so I may be totally off base here, but I am pretty sure neopets doesn't tie your cookies to your IP. I think you can be signed into one browser at a time, so even on the same computer you can't be on the same account using firefox and safari. The cookie that is stolen just sort of moves your information over, I think this is how people can be in their account the same time as the hackers. At least this is how I've always understood it.
rei @ neopets
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Silver Link wrote:
How did you know the shop had a CG embedded? Is this stuff random or is it insanely obvious? I mean, a thread about a Draik being pounded is suspicious but you never know

It's not obvious at all. It looks just like any other lookup *points up to what Madge said* The only way you can use your best judgement is to not visit links with topics that scream CLICK ON ME! I wish that the hackers would be that obnoxious and write HAHA I GOT YOU!

I'm just taking a wild guess that it was this maraquan draik and the fact that my account just happened to be iced about 5 minutes after I looked it up. (And at least 50 other people clicked the link as well.)

Yeah. bed time for me. Thanks you guys for the support.
ImageImage

Xelio

Post by Xelio »

varii wrote:I was sniping and I clicked on the codestone and it wasn't reacting right and the 'would you like to buy this item' pop up wasn't popping up and then I got the neopets error that I was trying to reload the shop too fast and on that page my No Script was blocking something.
That leaves me with a question. If one is running No Script does one have to keep it from allowing neopets to successfully block the CG program, or does it have a different url associated with it so that one can allow neopets.com on their No Scrip program and be safe from CG. I just downloaded the program the other day and am not quite sure about how to work it effectively.

And sorry about what's happened. At least it sounds like you should be alright, with all the evidence and the portal and such. I'm sure neopets won't say you were cookie grabbed though. Somehow it was totally your own fault going to a website not associated with the site. How dare you navigate off neopets.com! I bet their reasons for your being CG will be something equally lame.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Thanks you guys. For now, my side 'sugarspiceetn' will be my temporary "main" account if you wanted to contact me. I'm kinda worried, and a little anxious, but I take mild solace in the fact that the "suspicious activity" reason warranted the auto-freeze and that this was an onsite CG link.

The good news is that premium users tend to have their issues resolved within 2-8 days regarding CG'ers. Most people unharmed.
ImageImage