Help us fill the pet db! (Last few pets needed, pg7!)

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Re: Help us fill the pet database! (new volunteers needed!)

Post by thelonetiel »

I have a system that seems to be working better than I thought, so I'll go ahead and claim Gnorbu, Grarrl, Grundo, and Ixi if that's okay. :)
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

I can do acara, blumaroo, bori, bruce and buzz if you'd like.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Thanks! Added all of those to the list.

Tiel specifically - how are you doing it? I've got a fast method based on using the source code of the page then four find-and-replaces, but even if it's fast, it's very tedious...
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Well, Jazzy, I'm pretty sure my method is more tedious than that. I have an add on (Firezilla) with a popup box that when you click on an HTML element it gives all the details in a popup box, including the link source. So I have an Excel document open (only not really, it is the OpenOffice version) with two columns, one with all the colors prelisted, and I copy and paste into the second column the section of URL. Then click another link and do the same.

It is pretty bland work, and a little time consuming, but it gives me a perfect chance to listen to some of the Podcasts (audio stuff, specifically I've been listening to the audio version of Savage Love) that I download and never get around to.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

I'll go do Chombies and Cybunnies right now. :)

EDIT: Well I'm kind of on a roll with these now, so I'll grab Jetsams and Jubjubs too.
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Thank you! We're doing really well - I'd not expected us to get this far so quickly. Shouldn't be long before we get the database back up and running :)
Mistress Morbid

No problem! :) I can't wait to see Neocolours back up and running, it saddens me to go to another colour site. ><

Put me down for Meerca, Uni, and Usul. They're the only 3 left and I might as well finish it off. ^^
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

We've now got all the URLs in, so I'm going to get on with adding them all to the database :) Fingers crossed, it shouldn't take too long!
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Okay, the database is now back up, with all male pets added. If you spot any mistakes with images (ones which don't match the given colour and species, or missing ones), please let me know here.

Right now, for the most part, I'm intending to leave the females out. However, having looked at the Rainbow Pool more closely, I've discovered that some of the Royalgirl images are of the male Royalgirls. Here's an example - the eyes are very different.
http://pets.neopets.com/cp/zhgdb7qo/1/4.png
http://pets.neopets.com/cp/5s7gb6t3/1/4.png

Given that these aren't the pets you'd get when you paint a female pet Royal, it feels a bit misleading. I'd therefore like any links you have to female royalgirls with all the clothing/accessories on, but no backgrounds. Some of the Rainbow Pool ones are actually female (eg, the koi), but it's difficult to tell which are until we get the URL for a genuine female.

edit 16th Sept: we now have all the female royalgirls! Thanks, everyone :)
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: Help us fill the pet db! (links to ROYALGIRLS needed, pg3!)

Post by Jazzy »

Okay, we've now got all the Royalgirls added, and I'm wondering if it's worth adding the remaining female pets to the database. Females can't be done from the Rainbow Pool - the easiest way to fill them in is to pick a colour or species then use pet directories (jellyneo's is the most comprehensive), to get the URLs for female pets without backgrounds. Some of the other colour sites make females available, while others don't bother.

I've added a fair few today (mainly Chia fruits, babies and Biscuit pets), but we do still have quite a lot to add - around 1700 pets. Are there enough people willing to help out that we'd be likely to complete that, or get close enough that it's worth it?
Mistress Morbid

Re: Help us fill the pet db! (Female pets? pg3)

Honestly, in my opinion I don't think it's that necessary to get the female versions of all the pets. It's such a minor difference - usually only some eyelashes added. For all colours except Royal and such, there really isn't going to be any visible difference. People would still be able to tell what the pet would look like regardless of which gender they were going for.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts. I suppose it could be a slow done-over-time thing, but I don't think it's a necessity.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

Some of the pets have eyelashes that make them look like prostitutes, though, so I think that at least female versions of the 4 basic colours would be a good idea so people know how much of an eyelash their pet is going to be stuck with.

Not that I'm volunteering to help - sorry, but I'm busy and I know if I start I'll spend a few hours on it :P
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I tend to agree. Some of the pets with female eyelashes have VERY different facial expressions than their male counterparts. (I'm looking at YOU, Kougra!) I'd hate to expect one and get the other. :-)
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I was appalled when my lab pet was zapped into a gnorbu and I got the hideous thing on the right instead of the cute one on the left:

Image Image

So I'd vote for including the girls! I'd like to know what to expect when I eventually paint my lab pet.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I'll offer to do some, though it won't get done until Saturday sometime seeing as I am working the rest of this week.
I agree though that I'd like to see female versions as the eyelashes do make for quite a bit of difference in some cases.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.