RL Achievements and ToW

Non-neopets general discussion.
Taeyna

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by Taeyna »

Achievement!

I finished my 4 year degree at university today! I can't believe I just did 4 years of university, it feels like I just started (ha, I feel old. Can't even say I'm a student anymore). The best thing is when I started, I wasn't so sure about the degree, but now I love it to bits. What was it? A Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Science. Never heard of it? Don’t worry, most people haven’t, even though we’re the ones doing all the tests for the doctors, and usually telling the doctors what they mean (some doctors/midwives scare me because they are so incredibly ignorant). Most people I know won’t think it’s a glamorous job playing with other people's blood, saliva and other body fluid/tissue (seriously, liquid brain is really disturbing), but I love it (you never know what weird infection someone's going to have).

Now, I just have to find a job. Stupid recession.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Congrats Taeyna, and good luck job hunting!
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Our stuff got delivered, and my husband got paid - so i have a room full of boxes, my bed in place, and A NEW TOSHIBA LAPTOP COMPUTER in front of me! I really like it muchly. :-D
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Nice laptop Fjorab, I had a toshiba satelitte laptop years ago, it lasted well. Looks mighty old fashioned and brick-like compared to that sleek little beauty!

My woe actually involves my laptop - the charger has just exploded - almost literally. I plugged it in and then there was an almighty crack, a multitude of sparks and some smoke. I managed to turn the power off before it actually decided to burn my house down but am a little shaken none the less. So I am currently laptop less and am having to use my old fossil of a PC which I usually only use for my photography. The cats are not amused as I am no longer comfy human on the sofa, I am now annoying human with legs under a desk and this does not fit in with their comfy snoozing plans!
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Is it the charger, Mongoose, or just the mains lead? The chargers normally just go 'pop' in my experience (as they're sealed, all the smoke stays inside). Just a thought.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

That's a good point, but I think this was the actual charger, admittedly I didn't stop to peer at it too closely (I was preoccupied with panicking and spewing expletives, I'm not the best person to have around in a crisis!) but it looked like the sparks were coming from the charger box out of the bit where the lead goes to the laptop. Looking at it now it looks like there is a small gap there where the plastic fixing bit joins the wire to the box, like it's come loose (nothing like technical terms when explaining stuff eh?!). I've got a spare mains cable kicking about but I'm not inclined to test it out just in case! I only got the charger in May so it's still under guarantee so I should be able to get it replaced at no cost.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Yep, that makes sense. Don't try it again - it'll only do the same (unless the charger itself is now fried too, in which case it'll do nothing!). If it's under warranty get it replaced, because that lead is all sealed inside the charger unfortunately. (I do attempt to repair those moulded power supplies sometimes but it involves a hammer and Araldite)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
KauKrazy

Post by KauKrazy »

Oh man...

Our old dog died at an advanced age in 01/01/08. We were all devastated and didn't want to take a new dog immediately.
We got a new puppy this August, he's almost 5 months old at the moment. This week he developed a cough quite suddenly and was having real big difficulties with catching a breath, so we rushed him to the vet. Very soon after the tests and examination the vet told us that the problem wasn't his lungs. It was his heart. Apparently he has a congenital heart problem, involving his valves, and had developed acute heart failure which resulted in fluid build-up in his lungs. He was given medicine to clear the fluid and he is feeling much better now. But... the vet told us this would be just a temporary solution and as the dog would grow (he's a big mixed breed dog and will definitely grow a lot), the weak heart would grow even weaker and that there was no chance of him ever having a normal life span. She said it's most likely a matter of weeks, maybe months, but that we should prepare ourselves - the day will come when the pills will not be enough. An operation would be very risky, and with this condition not much help. So the bottom line is that the operation will most likely kill him anyway. Not having an operation will also have the same result.

This feels just amazingly unfair, he's just a puppy and he will die, there's no doubt about it and there's nothing anyone can do. He's a very intelligent and playful dog. We all love him to bits and I don't want to think about the whole thing. He should have 10 years with us, not 10 weeks. Why did it have to be him? It's like taking a card from the pile and getting a 2. Just unfair, at the most horrible level. Watching him play and run and knowing it won't last feels so bad, I don't have words to describe it.
Faun

Post by Faun »

that is not fair and really sad. lets hope he miraculously gets better.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I'm so sorry KauKrazy, that is horribly unfair and heartbreaking *hugs*
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

That's an unfortunate and tragic situation KauKrazy. Poor guy :-(
Amphigorey
Human Avatar: 435031

Post by Amphigorey »

KauKrazy, I'm very sorry :( That's a horrible situation to be in.

Is there any chance he could live a longer life with the surgery?
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Aw, I'm sorry too KauKrazy. I know it might feel weird to do this now, but if you're expecting him to die, take lots of pictures of him when he's not sick. (And when you yourself are in a good mood as well). Maybe when he's playing or doing something cute and random. At least you'll have the memory of good times.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
KauKrazy

Post by KauKrazy »

It did occur to me too. He loves the snow (it snowed here for the first time this year a couple of days ago), he just dives into it, eats it and plays with it which is so cute. He was born in the summer so it was a big suprise for him that one day the ground was covered with this fun, cold, white substance that can be played with :D
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I'm sorry, KauKrazy. That's devastating. D;

Wow, I haven't been on here since before I started high school. Lesse. I got my highest term GPA ever this term, which is awesome cause of the whole JUNIOR YEAR COUUUNNTTTSSS thing. :D If I can get all 95s on my report card next term, my parents say I can get my ear pierced again. :D