The Neocolours once-a-decade poll: Wocky - what is it?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.

Just what is a Wocky?

Poll ended at 03 Jan 2010 08:08 pm

Obviously it's a cat/feline.
69%
No way! It's a dog/canine.
3%
It's some combination of the above
20%
It's just a Neopet! It isn't based on any Earth species.
5%
It's based on another real/fictional species or combination (explain?)
2%
Don't know/Decline to answer (99)
No votes

Total votes: 59

Felid

Re: The Neocolours once-a-decade poll: Wocky - what is it?

Post by Felid »

AngharadTy wrote:From the previous topic:
Felid wrote:
Scythemantis wrote:Wockies aren't feline.
I must be missing something here...flat face, button nose, triangular upright ears, bushy tail, all present and correct...in what way are Wockies not feline?
Because there's totally no way a dog could ever have those features.

There's such a wide variety of dog breeds that it's a simple matter to pick features from one or the other to get what you want in the end.
Sure, and you can find all those features in certain breeds of primate too, but that doesn't make the Wocky look like any more like a monkey...

One key feature that's shared by all wild canid faces is an elongated muzzle. Mankind has produced a handful of mutated breeds wih somewhat trunkated snouts (and associated breathing problems) but the Wocky doesn't have the large nose and fleshy mouth (as shown in your French Bulldog & Boston Terrier examples) that is characteristic of these dog breeds, and which always occurs with a shortening of an otherwise long muzzle. In order to be a hybrid cat/dog/made-up-beast then there there would have to be some features, characteristic or posture that can't be found in a cat. I can see you're strongly resistant to the idea, but when you look at the Wocky section-by-section, as it were, what part of it do you think is not from a felid, I'm really curious to know!

Image Image

and Elkhounds, so far as I'm aware, aren't best known for their climbing ability :D
Last edited by Felid on 21 Dec 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Yes, that particular image does have a lot of felinity to it. But the pet art of wockies does not leap out to me as "cat! cat! cat!" Like I said in my previous post, yes, broken down, each individual element is the same as on cats, but as a whole, I simply don't see "cat." I don't see "dog" either. ;)
Image Image
clsimmons1985

Post by clsimmons1985 »

I have always assumed it was a cat!

mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

I never thought of it as a cat, though I see why others do. I honestly have no idea and can't really make an argument either way.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

I have never seen a Wocky as anything but a cat! o_o I can't fathom a dog resemblance at all.

I especially love the Halloween desktop wallpaper with the black 'witch cat' sort of appearance:

And other images....I really only get feline impressions. ^^
Spoiler: open/close
Last edited by Mistress Morbid on 21 Dec 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Besides just never thinking of it as a cat for some abstract reason, I believe TNT when they say they don't consider the Wocky to be feline or canine themed, but their own made up third option.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

I see it as a fox-like thing, myself. So canine?
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

I don't see Wockies as being anything but feline. Anything.

Meow.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Scythemantis wrote:Besides just never thinking of it as a cat for some abstract reason, I believe TNT when they say they don't consider the Wocky to be feline or canine themed, but their own made up third option.
I think some of the artists (e.g., on the TCG) didn't get the memo, and they think wockies are cats, and that's a large part of the confusion. ^_~
Image Image
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I've never thought of the Wocky as being anything but a cat. While I can see the original wocky as being neither one nor the other, I consider the old wockies to be distinctly catlike. The post-customization wocky is less feline than the old ones; I suspect this is due to the bizarre new squared-off eyes, round pupils, and eyebrows - if you hold your finger over the eyes (try it!), it looks much more like a cat.
BazookaBabe

Post by BazookaBabe »

AngharadTy wrote:From the previous topic:
Felid wrote:
Scythemantis wrote:Wockies aren't feline.
I must be missing something here...flat face, button nose, triangular upright ears, bushy tail, all present and correct...in what way are Wockies not feline?
Because there's totally no way a dog could ever have those features.

There's such a wide variety of dog breeds that it's a simple matter to pick features from one or the other to get what you want in the end.

I don't think wockies are canine or feline; I think they have features from both, and are their own species (genus, family?) entirely.
This. I hadn't realized it, but those last two dogs are exactly what I had in mind for a Wocky real world counterpart.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I'm going to be the odd one out, I guess. When I was younger, I would look at the wocky and see some sort of canine. Not necessarily a domesticated dog, but canine. Until someone on the neoboards said something about it being a cat, and I looked at it again and said "Yeah, maybe it is a cat."

So, for simplicity's sake, I'm going with both because I can see it being both. :) Honestly, it makes for a very versitile pet.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Felid wrote:and Elkhounds, so far as I'm aware, aren't best known for their climbing ability :D
Hee, I just watched this video and I had to post it. (Not an Elkhound, of course, but still an awesome dog!)
Image Image
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

I always saw the wocky as being some kind of feline, since it looked an awful lot like the Maine Coon who lived with us at the time. Until I looked at some of the pics Ty posted, I couldn't see even the possibility for canine. ^^;
Felid

Post by Felid »

Scythemantis wrote:I believe TNT when they say they don't consider the Wocky to be feline or canine themed, but their own made up third option.
But then they have a vested interest in maintainIing that position don't they? I mean, if someone asked whether or not a Techo was a frog I'm sure TNT would say: "no, it's a Techo - a totally unique Neopet animal." If the Wocky truly is non-feline then why is it that all the artists who have redrawn Wockies for the TCG etc. have seemingly gone out of their way to emphasise the cat-like qualities?