Not ~exactly~ new

New members, post here to introduce yourself!
soupfaerie

Not ~exactly~ new

Post by soupfaerie »

Hiya. I posted on here a long long long time ago in ye olde days of yore, before staff members were yelled at for doing it :) I did lots of the art you guys on here apparently liked, and I haven't worked at Neo in quite a while, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask :D

~SF
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Not ~exactly~ new

Post by AngharadTy »

Welcome back! =D Should we play "guess the art you did" or will you offer up a hint? *grins*
Image Image
soupfaerie

Post by soupfaerie »

Ummm wow it's a big list haha. I worked there for 5 and a half years so it adds up. A lot of the faerie pets, darigan aisha/pteri, maraquan/mutant draik, I created the Bori, redid the Peophin/Pteri/Bori/Lenny/Tuskaninny/Korbat/Acara/Eyrie/Gnorbu and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple for the 2.0 conversion... um, a LOT of tcg art... haha

OH also.. the ORIGINAL Darigan poogle :D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I had a mutant draik! Well, I guess I still do. I loved that art soooo much.

The darigan poogle! Oh, man. We had a lot of fun with that here. =D =D =D
Image Image
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

soupfaerie wrote:OH also.. the ORIGINAL Darigan poogle :D
You would not believe how much I wanted one of those!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Welcome back! Did you do the plushie moehog, too, or am I imagining that? It was quite a while ago :P
soupfaerie

Post by soupfaerie »

Mmmm no not the moehog, I did some other plushies though... Kacheek, Bori, actually the first pet I EVER did when I was hired was the plushie Techo... but that one is... special. haha.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

It is! Jazzy has/had one. I think. Probably?

Wait no. I was thinking of the Nimmo. I lied.

Hello, btw.
Silent

Post by Silent »

The Maraquan Draik is quite exquisite; one of the best of all NP designs for sure, as well as quite possibly the most desirable pet...so thank you for giving it to us and the world in general!!
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

I remember you, at least by your Neopets handle. You drew some lovely pets

What were your thoughts on the conversion? I was completely bummed because it was the end of uniquely drawn pets and introduced the fist of doom and stock poses. It really curtails the freedom the artists used to have
Madge

Post by Madge »

This is a bit off topic, but I had such an interesting thought about the fist of doom the other day - imagine if there were two hand images - one that was a normal looking hand in some sort of neutral, non-fisted pose, and another that was the fist o' doom. (Keeping the arm in the same position to make the clothes still work, literally just changing how the hand is drawn). Then, if you equip a held item, it replaces the hand with a fist. Everyone wins?

Anyway, back on topic - welcome back! It's good to have more people around.

Interesting how you mention that TNT stopped letting you post/read fan forums - that makes us sad to hear :(. Was it from a copyright issues perspective that they made this change? (e.g. if Lark draws her own idea for a desert pet of some sort, and then the artist comes up with a similar design independently, there's a risk of Lark suing and it's a good defense for the lawyerbot to say "staff members aren't allowed on fan forums, so no way could they have seen it"). Or did they have some other excuse? I miss those artists who'd post :(. They had such lovely little insights!
jamboree

Post by jamboree »

Sounds like a great idea to me, Madge. Besides doing away with the vile Fist, it'd also make the pets more... personal, maybe. (That's the best way I can think to describe it.)

Wow, soupfaerie... that's an amazing list of pets! I am in awe...

I too am curious what you think about the conversion. Are y'all allowed to talk about stuff like that, or will Lawyerbot drag you away by the hair if you do?
soupfaerie

Post by soupfaerie »

I kind of had mixed feelings at the conversion. On one hand it was nice to give some pets a much-needed refreshing. On the other hand it was difficult to change some of them around to fit within the new format. Believe me, I fought hard to keep the integrity of as many of them as much as I could. We ended up working a lot with the programmer in charge to get as much as we could to work/fit. But some things just couldn't be helped. I think overall it was for the better, because I think it was an important step for the site as a whole to keep up with the other rising websites that let you customize your cat/face/toilet/etc. But yeah it was sad to see some of the old art go.

And thanks for the comments ^^

And basically it was just general rules for posting on fansites as just in case we let something slip or say something inappropriate etc, I definitely know a few instances in which that happened. Especially uncool when you have staff people pretending to be innocent fans saying stuff they shouldn't be =p
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

I didn't really think about the competitive aspect of the conversion but I still hate the stock colors (there's less of a chance for colors that were uniquely drawn to still feel unique)

Here's another opinion question for you. Do you think Neopets will have another war-themed plot? We haven't had one in quite a while and nowadays it seems to be all about playing games or clicking in random places to find stuff. I'm just afraid that since it feels like the target age of the site has been aimed lower, the concept of a war would be deemed too adult and therefore banned

Also, I need to comment that the Battledome and its art needs serious updating
soupfaerie

Post by soupfaerie »

I honestly can't answer that at all, it's been forever since I was involved in any plot decisions, and I'm not sure how "family friendly" they need to stay or not these days.