Restock War - Nico vs. Manwar

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Restock War - Nico vs. Manwar

Post by AngharadTy »

It's a "twist" on a real name? We should also have characters named Peric and Baaron and Smark. Those are twists on real names and not mockable in the slightest! I am certainly not reminded in the least of the "rreign" drama.

Also, yes, it's wasted on me because I haven't even heard of that show. I don't have any strong feelings on the character personally (besides amusement now), but now I'm not clever because of something I never heard of.
Image Image
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

*blink blink*

Uh... I guess I'll be one of the first to post something not-pissed? :/ Kinda sad, I saw this thread and got excited to come rave with everyone, but I suppose I'm in the less-vocal minority.

So glad we had a RS War event this year- I've always missed out on the last ones due to inactivity, and I love restocking anyway (currently at around 71k on my trophy). I joined Nico because I've never touched a tabletop game in my life, LOL. I'm kinda hoping more people join Manwar because it will suck to have a bunch of leechers on the team bringing our average down.

I'm at 90 points so far today, and I managed to restock one 9m book! :D So it's definitely a great start.

Alright, I'll go back back into the shadows now. :C
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

That's just it; they get no mention anywhere ever and then suddenly, it's like, "Hurhur, here's an NPC. Enjoy."
I've been around only 3 years, but some NPCs like Manwar are hardly mentioned, if at all. You just kinda brought it out of the blue and expect us to know who this Manwar character is. I sure as hell don't recall him ever being mentioned in any news within the last year. Maybe in a post that was releasing items, but you can't expect a 1st-grader to do algebra if they've hardly been exposed to it.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

I've heard of the show and know it's supposed to be really good, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I never noticed the NPC before either though. Then again, I have no opinion of his name. =P
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I'm going to second Huggles' first post all the way up there. I hate restock wars to begin with, but there aren't any interesting sides? I'll probably go with Nico because his name isn't redonkulous and he doesn't have giant, fuzzy caterpillars for eyebrows. That and I've never played a tabletop game ever in my life. :/ I'm more of an internet brat than a gamer.

Though, I have to say, the thought of taking part in these two kids' pissing contest is a bit of a turn off. Couldn't we have met these characters and seen their good sides before they made asses of themselves in front of a camera?

Ya know what, I'm going Team Titania all the way. 8D
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

TCStarwind wrote:I'm going to second Huggles' first post all the way up there. I hate restock wars to begin with, but there aren't any interesting sides? I'll probably go with Nico because his name isn't redonkulous and he doesn't have giant, fuzzy caterpillars for eyebrows. That and I've never played a tabletop game ever in my life. :/ I'm more of an internet brat than a gamer.

Though, I have to say, the thought of taking part in these two kids' pissing contest is a bit of a turn off. Couldn't we have met these characters and seen their good sides before they made asses of themselves in front of a camera?

Ya know what, I'm going Team Titania all the way. 8D
This is basically the point I'm trying to get at. Sorry. xD;
It's just..."Oh, look. A restock war." Because two little game fanatics have nothing better to do than start a war? Why can't we all just get along? Why does it always end in war? Can't there be some humorous event, like say...a parody on Avenue Q? Check it out, it's a really funny play.
Luxe

Post by Luxe »

AngharadTy wrote:It's a "twist" on a real name? We should also have characters named Peric and Baaron and Smark. Those are twists on real names and not mockable in the slightest! I am certainly not reminded in the least of the "rreign" drama.

Also, yes, it's wasted on me because I haven't even heard of that show. I don't have any strong feelings on the character personally (besides amusement now), but now I'm not clever because of something I never heard of.
To be fair, I hadn't heard of the show either until it was pointed out to me, but I found it amusing once I was told. I'm not at all meaning to insinuate that you're not clever; I sincerely apologize if it came across that way. I'm not saying anyone needed or was expected to know who he was either; my point was that he wasn't just given a stereotypically weird name just because he was a gamer and needed to look cool. Before this, he was just the shopkeeper of the trading card shop. We're giving him character through this war. Likewise with Nico, who seems to be recognized despite having held the same position in Bits & Bytes.

By all means, continue ranting! I only wanted to clear up a few things.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Manwar is the trading card shop guy, and Nico is the bits and bytes shop guy. Nico's been there for ages, Manwar is so neutral in composition that I don't remember him but I assume he's been there. Dunno if their names were there the whole time, don't care. The existence of art for a year doesn't mean that the character existed for a year. The annoying argument that kind of sets them both up as prats is the first I've heard that I can recall, like TCStarwind said. Not really flattering.

(People posted while I was typing this, but I'm hitting submit anyway.)
Image Image
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Wait... These guys are shopkeepers? Well, if anything, that shows you how much I restock. Even now that I'm looking at the shop images, they seem like completely different people. Neither one of the shop keeper images look like the type of person who would go around starting gaming wars (on national television, no less) like they're still in high school, yet here we are. o_o It's a bit overwhelming in my tired, grumpy state. I'm probably going to have to sort through my decrepit though processes tomorrow. At least now I understand why it's video games vs. TCGs, rather than console vs. console.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I'm having a good time with the war so far. It's given me motivation to sort out my treasures and one of my galleries while restocking. And I think the premise is fun, a good geek argument is fitting for the convention.

Speaking of which, I do hope they do more with EpiCON besides the restock war, because I've missed out on all my good conventions this year.
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

"Manwar" is a funny name. Beyond that, I have zero interest in this event. Did it before; not planning to do it again.

But:
Huggles wrote:Is he, at the very least, swarthy?
I love you, Huggles.
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

I play both tabletop games and video games, but... not like these guys do. Ahaha, I play video games to experience other people's stories and characters, and tabletop roleplay to create my own. I'm a fail gamer. *shrug*

... in the end, I think I'm going to join Manwar because I was really good at Pokemon and Digimon cards when those games were still big at my elementary school. And because when I thought this was going to be a con event, I had my HA cosplay as Rika from Digimon. Aka, the card game queen. :P
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I too feel like I'm the only person not posting something angry :P I joined Manwar's team because he is cute. I like to restock the food shop and it's the only place I recognize rarity 45+ items, so hey, I'm happy all around. Also the art of them arguing is too cute.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I'm not posting anything angry, either. I like restock wars and I like the subject -- I'm on Nico's side since I'm a major video gamer myself. xD
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I'm a little too ambivalent to be able to say anything properly angry, but from reading things here, "Manwar" as a name reminds me of Portuguese Man of Wars far more than any smexay foreigners. Which, granted, giant deadly floating tentacle masses are pretty awesome, but I don't think really give much flavor to the restocking war.

I guess the character has already been named and decided on for a while now, so I'll try to force images of an jellyfish playing a mean game of D&D out of my head.