Major pet adoption achievement! :D

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Major pet adoption achievement! :D

Post by thelonetiel »

Eeeeeee.
In summary:

So as people probably know, the purge has been freeing up names. Including Html and CSS, both of which were nabbed by the same person. Saw them advertised, drooled significantly, and asked for what they wanted for CSS, maybe trying for Html later (since was capped wonky). Was considered for a bit on CSS, but then they found a better (understandably) offer. I mailed them back last week, just to make sure that trade was still going through, since people waffle a lot, and the owner told me no, the trade was still firm.

Then they sent another mail saying they needed room, and had thought about adopting Html out, and was I interested in adopting...

So cue a frustrating week waiting for transfers to reset, sent someone a WN fully clothed RB Gelert I had zapped for clothes (and got both genders sets out of, awesome) to free up room early this morning, and just a few minutes ago got that blessed confirmation mail from the owner.

I was sure she'd find some nice trade offer she couldn't resist, but apparently not.

I'm absolutely psyched!

And of course, Neopets trashed their filters yesterday (according to ticket responses, it seems to be at least partially a mistake) so I can't put up my partially complete Neopian coding guide yet (textareas are completely useless and just display the text inside, or in my case, run the codes).... Which I spent hours on, just before the new filters crashed, making Neo compatible in hopes of being impressive to owner and ensure adoption.

For now... I think I go buy a mynci trans and a faerie paintbrush, for a lovely code monkey!
Madge

Re: Major pet adoption achievement! :D

Post by Madge »

Ahhh, so that's why you were stalking the neoboards? Congrats on getting such an appropriate pet name! I'm sure you of all people will be able to create a webpage worthy of such a pet, too!

It's fantastic you managed to get HTML as an adopted pet too, there's that code that will captalise the name somehow isn't there? Well, if anyone knows that code, it'll be you :P
thelonetiel

Post by thelonetiel »

Oh, no, half my time on Neopets is spent lurking the pound chat and staring at pretty pets. xD This is just a rare occurrence that I adopted a really awesome pet, rather than traded labrats or such.

And yeah, I should be able to capitalize the name, at least on my user look up... Doing it on a pet lookup will be interesting though, I'm not quite sure how I'll manage that! I honestly think though that if the name were capped right, the owner would've traded him, so I probably wouldn't have him now. I'm really pretty okay with this, I can sacrifice a bit to get the awesome www.neopets.com/~html page under my control. =D

The code filters imposed yesterday were apparently more permanent than people were believing. I will be epically sad if they continue to ban the textarea tag, as there will be no other easy way to share code. I think I'll wait until this weekend before I start the backbreaking effort of screen capturing and otherwise manipulating HTML codes to show up. Grumble grumble curse.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Congrats! On pet lookups, it's very straightforward to capitalise "[pet] the [colour] [species]" but the rest of it is...interesting. You could use this sort of thing?

Code: Select all

<style>
b{text-transform: uppercase !important;}
div{text-transform: uppercase;}
.contentModuleTable table, .contentModuleContent{text-transform: none !important;}
.neofriendInfo,.neofriendUsername,#rating_ballot,#pet_rating,.contentModuleContent font,.medText{text-transform: none !important;}
</style>
<font color=#3366CC>I am not up for trade. Make an offer and I'll set Narkhi on you!<br><br>
Visit my petpage to see which pet colour images my owner is looking for.</font>
preview here: http://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=Nepaira
You must have the description in some sort of tag (I've used <font>) and specify that tag (so for mine it's .contentModuleContent font in the list of things not to capitalise) in order to avoid the description coming out as capitals. If you set <b> alone as capitals, you'll get the bits in bold capitalised, but that will not include "[pet] the [colour] [species]" (that part's a <div style="font-weight:bold">, not a <b> tag).
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Congrats Tiel! 89NP is definitely a bargain ;-)

Good luck getting the code guide up.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Yay! I am very excited for you, as that pet has a perfect name, and I am excited for me when you get your coding guide up. I am hopeless at coding but would love to learn, and most of the guides I have come across on Neopets are outdated. I've been meaning for ages to make a nice coded layout for my Mutant Graveyard of Doom II guide on Dementis' petpage, although I'm sort of glad I didn't try before this coding wrench was thrown into the works.
thelonetiel

Post by thelonetiel »

The main problem Jazzy is that I don't really want the rest of the page in caps. Capitalizing a name is easy, since most of the other places that get affected by the code are already capitalized. But finding an aesthetically pleasing way of making the name in allcaps without throwing off the rest of everything is more difficult... I think smallcaps is the closest I can come, though it is still a bit frustrating to me as I can tell it isn't right.

But thank you guys! I'm still buzzed about it. Even if *right* after I buy a faerie paint brush the price seemed to drop... Now I'm avoiding looking at prices.
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

There are some really klugey ways to specify particular elements structurally, if you're willing to abuse CSS3 selectors like there's no tomorrow. I think these should work:
Spoiler: open/close

td.content > div:first-child { font-variant: small-caps; }
embed ~ b { text-transform: uppercase; }
td a ~ b:nth-of-type(2n) { text-transform: uppercase; }
a[href="/battledome.phtml?type=challenge&pettochallenge=Html"] + b { text-transform: uppercase; }
#rating_ballot b { font-variant: small-caps; }
If it's really, really vexing that "the Blue Lupe" and "Rate" still get run over by the small-caps steamroller (which, I admit, it totally would be if it were me), you could try hiding those elements and replacing them with images where "Html" is properly capitalized... but not even I'm going to go there, heh.
thelonetiel

Post by thelonetiel »

Foghawk, last I checked selectors tend to not pass through Neo's filters. They are pretty picky, especially about say, having equal numbers of lessthan and greaterthan signs. So conceptually, what you have would probably do the trick... But Neo stops it a couple of places, and what passes filters only succeeds in a couple places. e_e

Thank you though, it is a goodly complicated bit of CSS you have there, I probably wouldn't have gotten that detailed. I just wish it Neo had each instance of the name put in a separate span to be easily identified... Ah well. xP

I think my other option would be to artistically uncap everything... Maybe if smallcaps bothers me I'll switch to that route.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I think the artistically uncapping everything could work well - it was really trendy back in the day and looks rather neat, imo. Plus, it's a lot less jarring than all the capital letters being all up in your grill, eh? :)
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Oh man, you're right. Should have thought about the filters. :oops: This does work:
Spoiler: open/close

td.content div:first-child { font-variant: small-caps; }
td.content * div:first-child { font-variant: normal; }
embed ~ b:nth-of-type(1) { text-transform: uppercase; }
td a ~ b:nth-of-type(2n) { text-transform: uppercase; }
a + a + b { text-transform: uppercase; }
#rating_ballot b { font-variant: small-caps; }
I am incapable of admitting defeat. There's that, if you want it - but honestly, uncapping everything would look incredibly classy and you should do it.