Tigrean Revamp (Completed May 31, 2013)

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Runic

Re: Tigrean Revamp

Post by Runic »

I guess I'm the oddball here. I want that new design to go through so badly, cause I'm in love with the realistic tiger look. xD
I remember when the Tigrean was revamped the first time. I had no issues with it cause I couldn't stand the old one, and I think it was just a nice pet for that time.
Yes, I was shocked yesterday to see another proposed revamp for it, seeing as it's a huge change. But, I commend Jill for her desire to strengthen her skills as an artist, and that she feels confident in drawing big cats.

I dunno, I've always liked the current Tigrean, but I've never been able to keep one in my posse, cause it didn't really look enough like a tiger. It was just another Feli-looking pet, imo. =o
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I have to say I think the new one also looks a little big boneless to me.

I personally would like to see a revamp that looks more like the current reborn and glacier Tigreans. I think those are an improvement art-wise over the non-redraws, but don't change the Tigrean into a totally different pet. W

Agreed that I always thought of them as being more cougar-like than tiger-like.

As far as the large eyes and ears go: as you can see from Ty's post, those have always been characteristics of the Tigrean. You may not like big ears them as well as small ears, Bean, but... well, Tigreans have them. The original Tigrean had them, too. The new version, without them, just doesn't look like a Tigrean anymore.

I mean, I think that (say) the wings and big fangs on Clawsons look silly, but I wouldn't suggest revamping them to take them off. It would look better in my eyes, but then it would just sort of be a bear.

(The buttwings on the Tutani, OTOH, can go anytime as far as I'm concerned. :~P)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Runic wrote:I guess I'm the oddball here. I want that new design to go through so badly, cause I'm in love with the realistic tiger look. xD
I remember when the Tigrean was revamped the first time. I had no issues with it cause I couldn't stand the old one, and I think it was just a nice pet for that time.
Yes, I was shocked yesterday to see another proposed revamp for it, seeing as it's a huge change. But, I commend Jill for her desire to strengthen her skills as an artist, and that she feels confident in drawing big cats.

I dunno, I've always liked the current Tigrean, but I've never been able to keep one in my posse, cause it didn't really look enough like a tiger. It was just another Feli-looking pet, imo. =o
The problem is in part that yes, a tiger pet would be wonderful. I love tigers. But for something completely different, think about it this way--I don't like Ruffies. I know they're popular and all, but with a couple exceptions, I just don't like the species. But I do like arctic foxes. So if I'm in charge of the ruffie, I'd totally make it into an arctic fox, because then I would like it. Would that be fair?
Image Image
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

I think that's a good analogy. I don't like the Ruffie either -- I would like it much better if it looked like an adult German Shepherd. I'll never get one of the current silly-puppy looking Ruffies. But still, that's what a Ruffie looks like and changing it to look like a German Shepherd would irritate a lot of people (and properly so).
Runic

Post by Runic »

But Jill had to go to Luxe first with this new idea to change the Tigrean.
Apparently she liked it as did Keith (I assume he has some say in this), so tbh, that analogy doesn't work.

Whatever staff says goes. =/
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

You're talking about human beings, who are fallible and have on occasion been wrong before. Major corporations get things wrong sometimes too. A game company recently put out a game whose ending displeased many fans, and they decided to work on releasing a free addition to the game that acts as an epilogue. Responding to your customers and their criticisms is what separates a good company from a bad one.

And no matter where you are in life, the passive response of "they must be right" isn't going to help you out. Always question. Blindly accepting someone else's point of view turns you into a sheep. Be a shark.
Image Image
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Runic wrote:But Jill had to go to Luxe first with this new idea to change the Tigrean.
Apparently she liked it as did Keith (I assume he has some say in this), so tbh, that analogy doesn't work.

Whatever staff says goes. =/
...nnnope, pretty sure that analogy works just fine. Tbh.

Also, if "whatever staff says goes" was true, they wouldn't even bother with a poll and this discussion wouldn't be happening. Whether you like the revamp or not, it's silly (at best) to pretend that their providing a chance for feedback is anything but considerate. It's not a given. It would certainly be easier for them to just pass the revamp straight through. That would be "whatever staff says goes."
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I don't see it as quite as drastic as changing the ruffie to an adult German shepherd or an Arctic fox. This is more a case of making a currently lanky, young-looking pet look more adult, and more like its real-world inspiration. I think there's a precedent there...

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Is it just because the tigrean is so (apparently) popular that it's drawing more criticism than the Irion or the Velosotor?

Personally, while I love the new art, I do think it needs a few tweaks to make it look less masculine and a bit less mature, more fitting with the previous two tigreans. But I never worry much about the common version of a pet, as even when I like the concept but not the execution, I always seem to be able to find a redraw I like.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Yeah, I don't like it primarily because it just doesn't look like a Tigrean. The face is too wide as a whole and it's just much bulkier. Also, I feel that the relative plainness of the paws doesn't mesh well with the detail of the face and neck regions. :/
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

I don't recall the Bovine revamp, it may have been before my time. But I recall plenty of people complaining about the Velosotor revamp. (I was probably one of them, although not as strongly because I don't own one. I think the old one is much nicer.)

I don't see your point with the Hipottu and the Chelon, though. The Hipottu especially looks pretty similar except with updated art (and a sort of weird twisty head issue.)

It just looks totally different from the old pet.

And sure, there might a redraw I'd like. But both my Tigreans are already redraws and the color is important to their characters: if I don't like the new reborn or glacier Tigreans I'll have to change them to a different species. (I'm still cranky about what they did to my poor Darkmatter Montre... the old one was so beautiful!)
Runic

Post by Runic »

I'm not a sheep, first off. =)

Anyways, I think it's unfair that Jill isn't allowed to have the freedom to challenge her skills as an artist. She's said that the current Tigrean was only made that way because she wasn't comfortable with big cats at the time. But now that she's gained experience, she's going back to her original idea for this revamp.
No, the proposed one isn't completely ready for an official release. There are still some minor tweaks to be made.

But what I don't get is this whole "too bulky" thing. The original was fairly bulky to begin with; the current one is still bulky, just compressed into a small cat form; so why is this proposed one any different than what the species was intended to be from the get go?

I'm sorry if ya'll don't agree with me; we're just not meant to see eye to eye I guess. My post wasn't intended to start an argument. xD;
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I've been seeing this revamp similar to how Cranberry described it: to me the updated Tigrean doesn't look like a new species so much as it looks like a more realistic Tigrean. That said, I can sympathize with some of the outcry, because when the Demi went through a similar change several years back, I was upset by the update:

Image vs. Image

The new art's clearly superior, and the anatomy looks more realistic, but it wasn't the same pet I'd adopted when I first joined Subeta. It was still a Demi, but one I wasn't accustomed to.

-----

Regarding the Tigrean, I actually like the revamp, but I've also never owned a Tigrean. Like I said in the news comments, I think it looks a bit dis-proportioned in the body and either needs the chest to be narrowed or the, um, "hindquarter area" to be thickened, but I love the new face and the thicker, muscular look.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Wingsrising wrote: I don't see your point with the Hipottu and the Chelon, though. The Hipottu especially looks pretty similar except with updated art (and a sort of weird twisty head issue.)
Yeah, the hipottu is probably the least-changed out of all of the ones I posted, but it does look like a more mature version of the pet to me, and a more realistic one. The chelon definitely went from a cartoony, young-looking generic turtle to an older-looking sea turtle, which is similar to what's happening with the tigrean -- it's going from a more cartoony, young-looking tiger-ish cat to a more realistic, more mature, more-tiger cat. I am sure that the new art (should it continue to win the poll) will be tweaked before release. I do think the new version is a touch too mature and masculine (I think it's the big nose and muzzle, mostly).
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Runic wrote:Anyways, I think it's unfair that Jill isn't allowed to have the freedom to challenge her skills as an artist.
?

No one is saying she doesn't have the freedom to challenge her skills as an artist. She can draw all the big cats she wants.

I'm just saying they shouldn't replace the Tigreans. I think the new Tigrean should look look much more like the previous two Tigreans, which don't really look much like tigers at all except for the markings.

That what happens when you do something as a job instead of as a hobby. You don't get to do whatever you want -- you get constrained by what your customers want. And it seems like a fair number of Subeta users don't want Tigreans to look like this.
Cranberry wrote: Yeah, the hipottu is probably the least-changed out of all of the ones I posted, but it does look like a more mature version of the pet to me, and a more realistic one. The chelon definitely went from a cartoony, young-looking generic turtle to an older-looking sea turtle, which is similar to what's happening with the tigrean -- it's going from a more cartoony, young-looking tiger-ish cat to a more realistic, more mature, more-tiger cat. I am sure that the new art (should it continue to win the poll) will be tweaked before release. I do think the new version is a touch too mature and masculine (I think it's the big nose and muzzle, mostly).
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but I'm not sure what your larger point is. The fact that Subeta has changed pets before doesn't mean I have to agree that they should do it again with the Tigrean.
Runic

Post by Runic »

Wingsrising wrote: And it seems like a fair number of Subeta users don't want Tigreans to look like this.
Do you perhaps have any statistical numbers to back up this statement?
Sorry to say, but according to the official poll on Subeta, 2555 want the new Tigrean, while 1614 want to keep the current.

Some close numbers, but it seems a good chunk find the new art better than the current.
Unless you've been documenting every single reply on Subeta itself, you can't just speak entirely for the whole site with just a broad statement of "a fair number".

And while yes, we as users have some input, staff has every right to say "Thank you for the feedback, but we're only going to make X amount of changes, because we feel this is the better direction for the overall appearance of the site's art". That's why they have those lovely red icons; cause they clearly rank higher than everyone else and we must respect them.

Basically, if you don't like it, then don't get a Tigrean. Or just leave the site, if you're really that pissed with staff. =/

But please, I really don't want to get into long-winded arguments over this. ^^;
Let bygones be bygones, right? =)?