Masquerade Plot Thread

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Runic

Re: Masquerade Plot Thread

Post by Runic »

Thank you Cranberry! Now I don't have to worry about Elfric not being able to KO Slavam just yet. x3
I too had noticed they were showing up in BQs, but it didn't register in my brain that they are definitely permanent! Makes me super happy!! ^^

One more question: since these riftborn opponents rely on DM-based weaponry/attacks, and if our battle pet is a DM pet (mine is), technically they shouldn't sustain as much damage from these attacks, if say, someone's battle pet was Glade or Galactic.
Or am I reading way too much into the battle mechanics? xD Sorry, I just always think of Pokemon in the back of my head.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

We can't code in anything like that, unfortunately. We DID set it so that some weapons do extra stuff for different species or colors (any of the weapons with a species in the name, for example, like the chelon gems, and anything with a potion color like darkmatter in the name), but those have not been working since the weapon revamp went live. All of the battle programming is kind of on hold until the site recode is done, but that's something we'd like to get fixed.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Some new plot steps today. A minesweeper game and a side scrolling shooter. The shooter was pretty to look at though some sound effects would have been welcome.

Itallo mentions you should stop by the ballroom today to go speak with guests but I didn't see anyone new. Also strange there are no achievements, we've been getting copious amounts of them. Maybe it's all glitched right now.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I think that shooter is officially the most boring flash game I've ever played. I highly endorse the advice on the Subeta forums thread: "The best advice I can give you is to constantly slow down with the left arrow key. Then fly up and down constantly while clicking space. This allows to to clear waves of pirates before they can appear on screen and shoot at you."

It's hard otherwise, but doing it like this it's insanely boring, especially since you can't just hold the space key down (all that clicking is hard on the wrists!).

It also took me at least 15 minutes of constant clicking -- I was worried the game was glitched at several points -- and my guns stopped working just before I got to the final boss. Luckily they started again before I died so I didn't have to spend another 15 minutes clicking.

It is pretty, but seriously? Way too long.
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I really like the new battle challengers. (I got a special message for using Clockwork Grenades on Erdoo, which I think is an absolutely brilliant touch. Gold star. Never mind, not special. Odd spacing is confusing.) I'm glad they're sticking around. The games were okay. I wish the Minesweeper one was longer; I like Minesweeper.

But what is it with Subeta and making plot points out of imaginary racisms?
Last edited by Foghawk on 08 May 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Wingsrising wrote:and my guns stopped working just before I got to the final boss. Luckily they started again before I died so I didn't have to spend another 15 minutes clicking.
This is because it's a "classic" side scroller/bullet hell thing--the music ramps up, the boss shows up, often something like "ALERT!" flashes on your screen. Of course, without any of those elements, it just felt like it was broken. Especially because the bullets I had already fired hit it when it showed up. Not a very dramatic moment, really.

I love Minesweeper, play it all the time. I did not like this interpretation of it. Visually chaotic. And in real Minesweeper you're guaranteed a swath, even a tiny one, on the first click (because the mines don't spawn until your first click). Granted, I doubt they could code that up quickly, but I wasn't impressed. But at least it was brief.
Image Image
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

New plot step out today. It includes a lot more painful dialogue that makes our character sound like a complete moron. It does not include a lot of proofreading or understanding of how apostrophes work.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

The last stage of the plot is up, with two new very hard BD opponents I have no chance whatsoever of beating.

I'm still a little confused about what happened.

It also sounds like the Masquerade is winding down and Vesnali will be coming soon.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

HAH! Oh my lord, was that actually the end? That was....even less exciting than I'd expected, which is a real achievement.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

It sounded like the end to me. And, realistically, if the Masquerade doesn't wrap up soon, we'll run out of April for Vesnali.

I'm still not sure where the extra copy of whatever-name-was came from?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

My favorite part was the scintillating chase scene where I refreshed a room three times to find an assassin. Whew! Hard and fast with the drama, this one!

The only challenging part of this entire event has been trying to figure out where to go after not reading the poorly-written dialogue. My inner editor can't handle that much gone wrong at one time. Last line says something about east side of Ziara? There I go. Oh, wait, it's on the west side! (I haven't forgotten that clever move, either.)
Image Image
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

That's it? Really?

Well, at least the Back to the Future reference ("This is getting heavy.") made me smile.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

My god those are some ugly new challengers. Congrats, Pete and malticorn-lady-who-runs-the-scratchcards! You are no longer the freakiest people on the site. I have no idea how Dean managed to get any hits on me, considering he's cross-eyed, staring at the ground, and falling over. What a capable assassin. Knocking the greasy ponytail off his boneless face was downright delightful. I got to five wins and stopped because I'm lazy, but I think 10 will be doable. He drops lots of extremely hard tokens and mage amulets, and his special drops are interesting. No weapons, but I needed both for treasures. Not being able to use scrolls is a real pain, though. I tried to click on them almost every turn. Dang you, Cranberry! *fist shake at the sky*

Blaire got a critical hit on her first turn, did 3000 damage and killed me, and also froze me. So, uh. Nope. Not so much with her.

I'm relieved the plot is done, to be honest. The irregular pacing really sucked the life out of the whole thing. The story was already such a stretch, so when it lost its momentum too there was really no saving it. If you're going to dish out nonsense, at least do it every other day or something. I liked that Itallo's closing lines basically acknowledged what a mess the whole thing was, intentionally or not. "Ugh, time" were very fitting final words. Points for ambition, I guess, but if you can't do time travel well then don't do it at all. And may they never write our side of the story again.

For what it's worth, I thought almost all of the art was very nice this year (Dean and Blaire definitely excluded). I still think the map revamps are great. I needed many, many new lounge items. Most of the new menagerie things weren't my cup of tea, but I still thought they were nice. I even like the spooky mask shop lady. I've found uses for most of the plot step achievement prizes. So thank you for that! Bad story or not, it's always good to have some new toys to play with. I have high hopes for the final prizes!

I guess while I'm complaining, I'll throw it out there that I wish Celesse had been more involved. I think she's more interesting than Itallo and Thorpe.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Oh, someone needs to decide if it's "Itallo" or "Iltallo," cause... sheesh.
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Well I liked the plot. Up until now that they decided to throw in an achievement for beating the only challenger that I can't beat a single time. FUCK.

/firstworldproblems

Nah really, I liked it. I've never even managed to finish a science fiction book, so I can't quite articulate the things that feel off about the time travel plot. But I had fun, enjoyed the art, got lots of items and achievements (almost to 1300 !_!) and I'm glad the next thing is coming up very soon.