Reading Drive 2013

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Re: Reading Drive 2013

Post by Wingsrising »

Yeah, I'm grateful that when I was finishing up this morning it was just slow, but not going down every other page.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I knew I should've done my quests and stuff just after midnight, but no. Stupidly, I decided to wait.

I really hate this site sometimes.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

The errors are kind of unbearable. I managed to hit my own goals, but it was an exercise in stubbornness.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I did not, because I had to watch Breaking Bad instead of swear at my computer a lot. Gotta have priorities. (Edit for clarification: I did end up swearing at my tv but only briefly. But loudly.)
Image Image
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

It's running fine now and hasn't been reset as of this posting, if anyone's still on.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Prize shop is live. Most of the stuff, except the weapons, appears to be half previous years' prices. (The weapons are closer to full price.)

Nice to see Tamara Pierce, Diane Duane, and Anne McCaffery get some attention this time 'round.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

The weapons are 75% of original price; everything else was halved, I believe. I need so many books!
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I have 1667 points and not sure what to do with them all!I wonder what the average amount of points was. I am a little sad there aren't any new battle related items in there, even though were were told several times there wouldn't be. Those just seemed to hold the most value over other prizes. Hopefully the Thunderball will be made wearable.

I am really excited about all the new stuff though! The Betamorphs books and the Andadede are seriously awesome.
Image Need like a dozen!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Hmm, everything went better than expected. I ended up with 1091 points and need 1558 points of stuff. Must strategically drop 467 points... >_>

Is it sad that the references I get the most are from children's books? (Mr. Men! Best worst kid's books ever!) And I had an Animorphs box set as a kid but didn't read them beyond flipping the pages to see the transformation in the corner.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

..105 points. Egh. Most of that is from the scavenger hunt.

I don't think I can get anything thatll be worth eating up all the points.
Image Image
ImageImage
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

I have 613 points and think I'm pretty pleased with that. I actually hope this isn't the last Reading Drive (and certainly that this isn't the last time we'll get a shot at the Reading Drive prizes!) I'm actually not bowled over by the new wearables but I think I'll find plenty of other stuff to buy -- and as I said, I'm charmed that a few of my favorites made it in there this year.

OK, so more weapons advice questions:

I already have the Reviver of the Lion thanks to Cranberry's earlier advice, and actually I have The One Ring, too, it's just in my wardrobe instead of my armory.

The forums seem to suggest that the Soma tablets are actually the best of the other weapons, better than the Truth Serum, for one-player opponents? Truth Serum is prettier but if the Soma tablets are more useful... I don't really see spending the points on Malice given that I'm only Tier 6 and expect Tier 8 to take quite a while.

EDIT: Ooo, and there's a Companion -- er, Familiar -- and references to the Tough Guide to Fantasyland and Dealing with Dragons, too. :-)
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Forums say the Soma Tablets are the best. I had to buy one as well; last time I flipped a coin and chose the Truth Serum, which turned out to be the less useful of the two. (But I think it got nerfed somewhere along the way.)

Keith said that there will never be another "reading" drive, but they'll figure out some new drive system where you turn in a variety of items. Don't know if the prizes will come back though.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

There was an idea floating around on the Subeta forums somewhere that they could make an item drive that would raise money for the Library or whatever so that way the prizes could still be book themed. I think that is an awesome idea and hope it gets implemented. The best part of the reading drive is all the book related prizes and I'd hate to see that lost forever.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Seerow wrote:There was an idea floating around on the Subeta forums somewhere that they could make an item drive that would raise money for the Library or whatever so that way the prizes could still be book themed. I think that is an awesome idea and hope it gets implemented. The best part of the reading drive is all the book related prizes and I'd hate to see that lost forever.
Ditto. I love the book-themed prizes. And, although I think I can get what I want, I would hate for this to be the last-ever shot at the prizes. I've always liked the fact that this was one of the events where new players could still get their hands on awesome old prizes (albeit with more difficulty than old players since they didn't have points from previous events to spend on them). Also, they're just too great to go away forever!

As far as the current event went: I liked the scavenger hunt and making the library quests count for points. Only turning in non-restocking books was somewhat onerous (and expensive!) although making it 2 points per book instead of one did help. (Though I might have spent more on books had I known that!) Still, even with the library quests giving out more books, doing that again and again would drain a lot of in some cases mostly-irreplacable books from the site, so I think it's just as well they're not planning to do that again in the future.

The site stability, as usual, needed work.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

I'm looking to pick up a Reviver of the Lion for 225 points, so if anyone has any they want to sell me let me know. I forgot to pick one up since I was focused on new stuff and now don't have enough points. Oops.

Edit: Bought one off the forums :)