Egyptian/Neopets art... Suggestions, anyone?

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
drablyar

Egyptian/Neopets art... Suggestions, anyone?

Post by drablyar »

This one's been knocked back from the Art Gallery too many times - I think it's time to improve it. The question is, how?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c208/ ... anubis.jpg

Suggestions and criticisms are most welcome.
If you've ever studied Ancient Egyptian history, you might recognise the scene, but perhaps it wouldn't make much sense if you hadn't...
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

Ooooh, I really like it. I have no artistic eye, so no critical commentary here. Just pretty :D
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

I recognise the scene, methinks. Very vaguely though, as I haven't studied Ancient Egypt recently.

I don't see anything much wrong with it, and I like it very much. Maybe the background doesn't haev enough detail or something?
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
Ava

Post by Ava »

I like it very much. It's very clean and simple without lacking detail. What kind of days have you tried to submit it for? The only thing I can think of is that they may consider the Lupe too humanlooking (I can never remember the correct word for that - anthro?) or perhaps that the pet is not the direct focus of the scene...it's more just that, a scene.

Artistically I think it's very nice so I'm sorry I can't offer you any direct help on improving it.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

ooooh! I can really appreciate Ancient Egyptian art history. If I remember correctly, (and I could be wrong) but if Anubis weighed the feather and it outweighed the heart, you could pass to the underworld with righteousness honor. The work is impressive, and I wouldn't do anything to change it.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Chandi

Post by Chandi »

First off - I very much like the soft coloring of the Lupe's fur and the outlines. It's well drawn; the Lupe isn't too anthro that you should worry about it. He almost looks like he is missing his other hindpaw, but that's not too major. Also like the addition of the Aisha head at the top of the scales.

On that note... it's not an issue of improving the picture, I think, just making it more "Neopian." It'd probably be a pain to do this, but maybe change the heiroglyphics in the background to the Qasalan symbols instead of traditional Egyptian ones? Also, maybe make it a little clearer (and a little bigger) what the Lupe is using to tilt the scale in his favor. Maybe a golden negg or something?

And the scene makes perfect sense :) Weighing the heart against ma'at... Yay for taking an Egyptian Civ class under Dr. Redford! (He's an amazing lecturer, been in a couple History/Discover channel shows about Egypt... he's always wearing Penn State stuff, and the one I specifically remember him being in dealt with the First Intermediate Period and he uncovered skeletons that were murdered citizens during an attack or fire... good. class.) </ramble>

Ah, yah. Good picture :)
drablyar

Post by drablyar »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Maybe the background doesn't haev enough detail or something?
True. I wanted it to look like a bit of papyrus, but if the background is going to be so plain I'd better make sure the rest of the picture is more detailed.
The only thing I can think of is that they may consider the Lupe too humanlooking (I can never remember the correct word for that - anthro?) or perhaps that the pet is not the direct focus of the scene...it's more just that, a scene.
You're probably right - I tried to model the lupe on the desert lupe, but perhaps standing upright is too humanlike. And the fact that it's just a scene... well, I'll just have to hope with this one because I can't really change that!
He almost looks like he is missing his other hindpaw, but that's not too major.
I know! I noticed that only after I'd drawn and coloured the entire thing, so I couldn't be bothered to change that... hopefully no-one else notices ;)
It'd probably be a pain to do this, but maybe change the heiroglyphics in the background to the Qasalan symbols instead of traditional Egyptian ones? Also, maybe make it a little clearer (and a little bigger) what the Lupe is using to tilt the scale in his favor. Maybe a golden negg or something?
Excellent idea! I never thought of doing Qasalan symbols because I designed the picture a few years ago, well before Qasala was ever thought up. And if you look closely, you'll see that he is using a golden negg - and the feather and heart are Neopian items too (I've fogotten their exact names) - but if I do a slight redraw I'll be sure to make this more obvious.

Once again thanks for everyone's input! :)
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

How can the lupe appear too human-like? There was a Pteri day picture where there was, quite literally, a half-human Faerie Pteri...
Elitestar22

Great!

Post by Elitestar22 »

Good combination of a historical scene with fan-art of the Neopets game.

I enjoyed the pic. and good work with the pose (very alike like the Egyptian poses!) ^^ And good job too with the background.

I'm impressed with the art on these Forums! :)