Sam's deadline...

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Why don't we use the name, but put a note at the bottom of every page that says "neocolours is copyright Sam Kington"?
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Er, because I don't think it is copyrighted as far as I know?

:shrug: I realize that the nature of the debate was never legal. I guess I'm just not sure I see him caring that much, given that he seems to have zero interest in the site anymore. This is what makes me lean towards the "easier to get pardon than permission" route. This site IS the logical continuation of the original Neocolours site, after all... it's not an entirely new thing.

However, if I'm outvoted I don't strenuously object to thenc. It just seems like Neocolours is how we're known.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

well you can (effecitvely) just say you have copyright over anything you make and nobody will argue.

And there is no 'the' in Neocolours. I never understood why there was in the livejournal community...it's not "The Neocolours"...

It's just not.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

It isn't, no...I only think "the" is in the lj username because it's bascially "the neocolours [livejournal] community".

We shall never know :P
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

That would make more sense. I'm still putting in my vote against the. As it were.
Steelfaerie

Post by Steelfaerie »

I don't think there is anything the matter with taking the name "Neocolours" and using it. It's not like we're planning to make money off it or something, and he had PLENTY of time to say something like "no, don't use my name!" I find it to be pretty rude that he never responded to the email, although I'm not sure exactly what was said in it. I think abandonment equals fair game, especially if we have his name on some kind of "about" page or even at the bottom of every page just to give him credit where it's due. But I don't see any problem using the name.
Image Image
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

I get the feeling this discussion is moving in circles.

Post by Guest »

Glad someone said it. I've been following this thread since it started and nothing seems to be getting done. Someone really needs to make a start. The sooner we can get our own actual forum up and running the better!
EofS

Post by EofS »

Anonymous wrote:Glad someone said it. I've been following this thread since it started and nothing seems to be getting done. Someone really needs to make a start. The sooner we can get our own actual forum up and running the better!
We have got our own actual forum up and running. The issue is over a domain name. Since the domain name is going to cost somebody <i>actual, real money</i> which won't be refunded if we change our minds, or if Sam turns up and says "I don't like you using Neocolours," I think it's better that we make the right decision before it happens.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Perhaps the best way to go would to keep the domain name something short, along the lines of 'nc' or 'thenc', but on the site continue to call it Neocolours. That way if a problem does occur in the future, we don't have to change the domain name. At the same time, the domain can easily stand for Neocolours (much like Pink Poogle Toy has their domain as pinkpt). We can just think of it as an abbreviation.
Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

EofS wrote: We have got our own actual forum up and running. The issue is over a domain name. Since the domain name is going to cost somebody <i>actual, real money</i> which won't be refunded if we change our minds, or if Sam turns up and says "I don't like you using Neocolours," I think it's better that we make the right decision before it happens.
Indeed.

Are there other abbreviation (a la pinkpt) that we might use if there's isn't overall support for thenc (which I agree seems a little off to me).

http://www.neoc.co.uk? Maybe not.

http://www.neocolours2.co.uk? Or variants thereof? neocoloursII?
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Neocolours is a bit difficult to abbreviate besides just 'NC'. I'm still of the mind that we should avoid using the complete word 'neocolours' in the domain name. Just out of courtesy and safety should an issue arise.
Image Image
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

Well, then how about maybe neonc? the first "neo" stating that is a new version of neocolours, and nc for neocolours. I checked and it is available with any TLD but .com.

Other than that neocolours2 would be ok, too, I guess, but not the roman spelling because that would read as neocoloursii.co.uk and that doesn't sound right
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Anonymous wrote:Glad someone said it. I've been following this thread since it started and nothing seems to be getting done. Someone really needs to make a start. The sooner we can get our own actual forum up and running the better!
[rant]I'll just thank you for calling the current colour viewing scripts, originally partially intended to get further ahead with what we were going to do, nothing. I really appreciate hearing that.

As said, we've got our own forums, we've got a basic site running with plans for expansion. It's just the name - and with that it's more the actual wording of the domainname, a fairly minor issue if you ask my opinion. It'd have to be recognisable, but in the end, it's not a huge difference.

Still, I suppose it's nice to know that apparently the name that shows up in the adress bar is more important than the actual site or forums.[/rant]

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. I hope most of the people here do agree that this is just a name. Would a rose by any other name still smell as sweet and all that.

Anyway, a few controversial suggestions - if we want to use neocolours, neocolours.nl would suit me fine. neocolours.eu might be appreciated by our European members. And I've got to say that neocolours.info would actually be quite fitting as well. nc.eu and nc.nu are both available and possible as well.
sterlinglyons

Post by sterlinglyons »

Maybe we could use something to foster permanence and stability after all of our moving: neocolourshome.com or .net

I'm also rather fond of thenc.something. Short and simple, it maintains our heritage while being streamlined enough to reflect this new phase.

If I could suggest (to a moderator or whomever) that we make a week long poll listing several contenders taken from this list and then determine the domain name based on the results. Not everyone will be completely happy with a new name, but let's also keep in mind that the main thing is that the site will continue and we will remain this deranged, wonderful, and original community, whatever domain is chosen.

As far as stepping on Sam's work; [edited for clarity] I feel as if he indicated that he wanted us to continue the site. It was his baby, his creation and he devoted a great deal of work to it. I think he would be glad for us to keep things going, even though he isn't interested in Neopets anymore. Neocolours is his legacy but it is also who we are now. To be called something completely different would be odd.
Last edited by sterlinglyons on 11 Feb 2006 01:46 am, edited 1 time in total.