Games Master Challenge 2009

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Re: Games Master Challenge 2009

Post by Marah »

I'm currently 20 out of 30. I'm surprisingly happy with this. If it is too hard, or just not enough fun, I don't play it :)

How long does this thing last anyway?
Madge

Post by Madge »

8 days, and we're on day 6.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I'm at 30/30 now, finally. Now just watch the final two days require impossible scores on something like Tubular Kiko Racing (HATE), Dubloon Disaster (double HATE), Barf Boat (triple HATE), or Shenkuu Warrior (HATE SO MUCH THERE ARE NO WORDS). At least with 30 completed, I know I'm guaranteed the second-last trophy, which is actually the prettiest one, anyway.:)
invaderhorizongreen

Post by invaderhorizongreen »

well i thought the escape game was rally annoying but i made it finally and am cought up and awaiting the next challenge and dreading what it might be! D: and i hope we do NOT have to play dubloon disaster (pukes) or barf boat (very glitchy)
or shenkuu warrior (glitchy,and annoying)

also i found this

Glitch as of November 29th:
Some people are reporting that they are getting multiple prizes from each GMC challenge. If your items are duplicated, do NOT sell them or give them away. Send a report to TNT about the glitch. If you haven't experienced this glitch, you may want to hold off on doing today's challenges until the glitch has been resolved, as some people have reported being frozen for this glitch. Also, if you have received the glitch, apparently your items duplicate more and more every time you refresh the main page of the GMC, so you should avoid going to the GMC page if you're being affected by the glitch.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Thanks for the Gwyl tip Nyau, that cracked it for me. I actually did the suicide thing (from a position of almost full health) on the second level because I got confused about which level I was on :0P But even then, I had about 649 points, so a couple of gems on the next level were enough. In the end I got bored and kamikazied again, giving me around 800 points.

And I can also vouch for Iggy's tip on Escape to Kreludor. With a bit of perseverance you can get to level 11 (I used jellyneo's level guides to help on a couple I was stuck on). Once you're on level 11 choose "end game" then "continue". You will start the game again (ie full lives, no points) on level ten. Walk straight up, push the first block up, then go round the side and push it across. Get the first spare part, which gives you 250 points. Wait out the timer (I would usually block off the monsters' access from the left hand side by blockerising one of them - but your blaster has a very short range on this level, so that's a bit dangerous. The ones in the middle usually don't leave the middle, but if they do, shoot them.) If you use the rampage cheat for an extra life, you'll have a bit more room for error. Basically you need to get the part, let the timer run down, get the part again, timer down again, get the part a third time, then go and get the other part, which is worth 50 points.

Those are the sorts of challenges I don't mind. They take a little bit of work, but even if you've never played the game before (as I hadn't with either of these) they're achievable. MJB is just... argh. I can't decide whether to give up on it or not. My previous high score was 2100, and I gave it a go earlier and managed 2400, at which point I hit the level where you only have ten seconds (though I still had four lives left). Which is tantalisingly close enough to make me think that maybe, just maybe, I could manage it. But I haaate Meepit Juice Break.

I'd be happy with Dubloon Disaster, but I echo others on Barf Boat (which is just awful) and Shenkuu Warrior (which I enjoy in a "just messing around, not trying to actually achieve a score about about 120" sort of way.)

Or Snowbeast Snackrifice! Remember the other year, when you had to get a paltry score of 50 on it, and every single person on NC (or so it seemed) was just totally, totally stumped.

I have the top trophy for every other Games Challenge, but the difficulty this year has been much higher, it feels. Also, whilst the easy US vs difficult non-US thing was annoying with Pterattack, since then they seem to have been giving us incredibly tedious 3x scores. Tyrannian Golf and Advert Attack especially - I don't find them particularly challenging, except not falling asleep on the way to the score!

Edit: Definitely harder this year. Last year we only had to get 250 on Crisis Courier!
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

My previous high score was 2100, and I gave it a go earlier and managed 2400, at which point I hit the level where you only have ten seconds (though I still had four lives left).
If you CAN make it up to that insane level without losing a single life, I can tell you you have potential to reach 2700.

In all levels where you have 40 seconds and more to feed a Meepit/two Meepits /three Meepits, you have plenty of time to make longer paths. Try to feed the right color, with a long, long path.

Of course, don't forget to feed the Meepits in priority order. At the last Meepit, try to feed both/all three Meepits at once for more points.

You OBVIOUSLY have the skill level to get to 2700. If you CAN get to the 3 Meepits/10 seconds level, it means you CAN and you WILL do it.

Because you can.

Another thing about Moon Rock Rampage, level 10. E said something totally logical. I'll just add to her advice.
The ones in the middle usually don't leave the middle, but if they do, shoot them.)
Wall them inside. Turn two of them into rocks, one above the other. They won't be able to escape. You can also do this to the other place that sprouts enemies, but I personally didn't bother.

Risky, but they can't attack you, as they are dumb enemies that cannot push rocks.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

As a recommendation for today, do Imperial Exam on basic - the words are easy (until, there, galaxy, occur, etc), but the score is still very much achievable if you go quickly enough. I got 1125 and 1120 first try, whereas in Advanced you spend too long working out whether a word is correct and are more likely to slip up. You'll need to complete stage 4 with no mistakes so far, or get partway through stage 5 having made mistakes to get the score (completing stage 5 will get you 200 extra points, but you don't need them to get 700; if your score was low enough that you did need the 200 points, you'd have made enough mistakes up to that point that the game would have ended). I'm going to guess that you can't score significantly higher on Advanced, because the high scores are only 200 points higher than my scores on Basic (and with two mistakes each time).

As a final tip, watch out for "betweeen".
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Also.

If you speak french, even really basic one.

Play the game in french. The mistakes are glaringly obvious (apeler/appeler being the tricky one), but the other ones are good. Like, oranje is a mistake, orange is the proper one.

I found english being actually quite hard compared to french, as 80% of the words are just invertions and omissions.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Oh! Another thing: they've drastically dropped the points available from the Petz game. Completing the first round now gets you 50np, so I wouldn't bother with it anymore.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

The challenges weren't too bad today, Imperial Exam was a bit annoying, though, I kept dying at around 680 points, eurg, some of those spelling mistakes are really subtle! I've got 35/35 so far, only 5 more challenges! I really want to get the top trophy :D
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

I still have MJB to do and I started doing zen mode but after I got to 35, I said screw it. Wasting untold hours on a game for little benefit makes no sense. I'll try to get to 2700 but I seriously doubt anything will happen and if it doesn't, then oh well
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

x_x; Well, since I'm only doing the ones I feel like (if I don't want the prize and I /hate/ the game, I'm good, I don't need it :B If I don't want the prize and I like the game.. Well, hey, it's something else to throw in the SDB.), this is pretty easy.. but man. 70 games x'D I wish there was a way to find out how many games you've played, other than counting yourself :P Okay, so I'm lazy, but it would make things easier.. maybe next year they'll do that. Oh well, back to playing games~.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

I was away for a two day trip so I came home to 3 days worth of challenges waiting to be dealt with.
It took me several long hours (so time consuming this!) but with the help of your tips I'm left only with submit scores in 55/70 qualifying games. Really hate that part - I just never know where to quit the game.
I quite like the prizes so far. *coos at turtum*
Last edited by zebru on 01 Dec 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Personally, I've been playing the first level in each game and then quitting, doing them in order on the page. I only tend to earn about 50np for exach game, but it means I'm not having any trouble keeping up with the "submit n scores" challenges.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Games I know have a great payout (Magma Blaster, Maths Nightmare, Snow Wars II), I play them until I get a 1K NP score.

Games I know have a crappy payout, I stop as soon as I have points.