Layout 'n all that

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I thought I had fixed the scrolling in 800x600. But no, even the version on my computer (Jazzy and Joeno kindly perfected my codes) scrolls about 50 pixels.

Joeno, how hard would it be to make it four across the page, then three or four or more below with 80x80 images? Might be a nice compromise.

Anyway, I'll play with it the moment I have a chance. Which probably won't be soon, between Neopets and real life projects that need to be done this weekend.

Both the Easter banner and the site layout went up today, so you weren't just being unobservant Trick. =)
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Wow, nice layout! :)

I'm wondering, though, is it possible to have a setting where you can automatically have the old poses when you look at a pet?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I wouldn't advise using any 80x80 images on the front page, because they're usually broken for unreleased pets.

I honestly don't get why people are complaining now about the five images; it's actually been like that ever since pets were displayed on the main page. They're no further apart than they were then, either.

and an edit: nothing can be done about the menu as it stands. It's an absolute-positioned div, so normal things like word-wrap won't work because it doesn't ever need to wrap (unless your window is about 100px wide). I would suggest, joeno, that maybe we put the links and header in a table at the top (rather than absolute-positioning), give the cell a class and use display none if the links shouldn't show up in other versions.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Responding in order...

The Unreleased page showing released pets: At the moment, since I've not yet been unlazy enough to check out how some cookie things work, they need to be updated manually. But hey, that's why I asked for those volunteers! ;)

I'll see whether there's anything I can do about the overlap.

The five pets has always been this way. It shouldn't, however, be difficult to make it a configurable option instead - and might be a better option to use on the unreleased page and so on. I think that'd make a nice compromise, although the question as to whether it should start with four or five images remains. Edit: Option is in and works!

As for it always having been that way - a margin at the sides has now been added, which might have changed things a bit.

I'll add automatically show old poses as an option, probably together with a "don't show the currently uploaded version" option.
sezrin

Post by sezrin »

Looks damn nice and five on the front page looks fine to me, hell i'd be happy with 6.... Have a cookie.

One thing though, please tell me the new cybunny crazed banner is only a temporary fleeting easter one...
Anza

Post by Anza »

Joeno wrote: As for it always having been that way - a margin at the sides has now been added, which might have changed things a bit.
Yes, the border at the side bumped them over; they were fine before.

It's beginning to really bug me that they're stretching my screen, as is the menu overlapping the banner (Jazzy's idea of putting it in a table so the menu scrolls if it's too long sounds awesome) but, I know I'm only one person so if you really don't want to change it I usually jump directly to the forums anyway.

It is an awesome layout, though. Don't think I don't aknowlege that. It's pretty but at the same time funtional :)
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

The problem with adding a table is that the top bit is currently handled by the layout, while the menu is generated elsewhere by the script itself, and the layout engine isn't sophisticated enough to handle dynamic generation yet.

I've set up a quick patch: The width of the element is now restricted, getting it to wrap. I'll play around with it a bit more - I've got some more ideas, I just hope it'll work like it should.

Edit: I've now set both left and right positions, and it works for me now. Please tell me it does for you too..?

Also, before I forget to mention: The above thing with old poses works as well.
Anza

Post by Anza »

That's lots better, thank you so much :)
sterlinglyons

Post by sterlinglyons »

The page looks rather nice, accept for me the black text doesn't wrap and goes beyond the border and into the grey background. Also, the fifth new colour Pet spills over into the background for me still.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I've got the same no-black-text-wrapping and 5th-pet-overhanging problem too.
derp
Anza

Post by Anza »

Guys; if you click on the 'options' choice on the menu it will take you to a page where you can choose how many pets to have on the front page.
sterlinglyons

Post by sterlinglyons »

Anza wrote:Guys; if you click on the 'options' choice on the menu it will take you to a page where you can choose how many pets to have on the front page.
Groovy, that worked! Thanks, Anza.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Seems like I've underestimated the number of people viewing the site with a 800x600 resolution or other smaller screen. Maybe I should lower the default from five to four anyway?

In the mean time, 6 pets fit quite nicely on a 1024x768 screen for me, so those who have higher resolutions may want to consider that as well.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Joeno wrote:
In the mean time, 6 pets fit quite nicely on a 1024x768 screen for me, so those who have higher resolutions may want to consider that as well.
Excellent idea, thumbs way up! =D

Awesome layout, you guys - you're all rock stars.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Upped mine to 7 because I'm hardcore!

...and I'm using 1280x1024.